Extreme bloating when I increase my intake

Options
Since December for the most part I've been following a daily goal of 1200 calories, which works well for me. I'm flexible with my intake for special occasions - eating at maintenance or sometimes above. For example, the past week I went travelling with friends and didn't really watch what I ate so ate at maintenance or slightly above. However, when this happens I bloat SOOOOOOO badly. It makes me feel awful. It doesn't really depend on what I eat... I'll bloat no matter what. But then the bloating and water weight usually passes again within a week of eating at 1200 again.

Just wondering whether the bloating is a result of drastically changing my calorie intake in a short space of time? Will eating at a higher level consistently at maintenance result in permanent bloating? Or will it sort of even out after a while?

It's just so frustrating because I feel good about myself, but then one bad meal or day and I'm so bloated I feel like it's all for nothing.

Thanks!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'd be pretty sure it's related to what you're eating on what you call "bad days". It doesn't sound like you're eating all the extra cals in fruit or veggies. Theres possibly an ingredient you don't usually have, or have as much of, that you're sensitive to--perhaps dairy or wheat, common culprits.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have significant bloating every time I eat more than a small meal but I have pretty awful IBS. If you are having a lot of gastrointestinal distress it might be worth seeing a doctor. Or you may want to wait it out and see if it gets better as you get used to the higher calorie goal. After all, when you are at maintenance you will almost certainly be eating more than 1200 calories. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I also wish there was a solution to bloating. It affects my self esteem but I try to remind myself that it's temporary and not real weight gain.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I never understand what people mean by "bloating".

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

The solution is different for each of these.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

I think I have "psychological" bloat sometimes when I eat a little more than I "think" I should.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

Very good point. It's worth asking what, specifically, the OP is talking about.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    OP, I see you're 5'6" and 118 pounds. People suffer from this in varying degrees, but if you're already thin it's more apparent; you're most likely experiencing what I like to call a "food baby". Example of my food baby after eating a slightly larger dinner than usual:

2epdd9q9gl39.jpg

For me it usually goes down by the next morning though.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to what you are eating, not how much... excessive sodium (which will be in most processed/restaurant foods since it increases flavor) will cause water retention... eating more carbs proportional to your other macros will also cause some water retention.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You have been travelling with friends and probably eating out most of the time. This could add extra water weight that gives a bloated feeling. Extra salt in your diet and just the body reacting to travel.
    It does for me any time I go away for a few days and eat out on a daily basis.

It goes overnight when I am at home because it is one meal out at a time and the bloat isn't noticeable, away for a week or two and I swell with an extra 5 lbs of water. I pee it out a couple of days after getting home.

Cheers, h.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ...excessive sodium (which will be in most processed/restaurant foods since it increases flavor) will cause water retention...

Sodium is the killer for me. I only pay attention to my sodium intake because if I eat too much I bloat like hell the next day. We're talking puffy eyes, swollen fingers so my rings don't fit. It's just really uncomfortable and I feel gross until my body flushes it out.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

I think I have "psychological" bloat sometimes when I eat a little more than I "think" I should.

Yep, @Rocknut53 that there is the biggie. ;)
  • caffeinatedcami
    Options

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

I do agree that some people complain of 'bloating' when they eat too much (especially women) because society bombards us with images of flat stomached models all the time. Of course everyone is going to have a little 'bloat' after they eat. But for some people with digestive disorders (I have celiac disease and IBS) bloating is very real and can impact quality of life. In my case when I say bloating I mean sudden increase in intestinal gas causing very noticeable distension. I can't say for sure what the OP was describing but it's not fair to assume it's a purely psychological phenomenon.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

I do agree that some people complain of 'bloating' when they eat too much (especially women) because society bombards us with images of flat stomached models all the time. Of course everyone is going to have a little 'bloat' after they eat. But for some people with digestive disorders (I have celiac disease and IBS) bloating is very real and can impact quality of life. In my case when I say bloating I mean sudden increase in intestinal gas causing very noticeable distension. I can't say for sure what the OP was describing but it's not fair to assume it's a purely psychological phenomenon.

I never insinuated that it was a psychological phenomenon for anyone but myself. You over thought my statement.
  • caffeinatedcami
    Options

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

I never insinuated that it was a psychological phenomenon for anyone but myself. You over thought my statement.

Fair enough. Probably read too much into it. My apologies for getting my wires crossed.
  • Orphia
    Options

Constipation?

Gas?

Water retention?

Actually, statistically, I think it IS fair to assume it's a psychological problem, since only a minority of people have Celiac disease or IBS. But point well-made, cheers.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have this same bloating issue.