Advice on recovering after a couple of bad days

Options
I had a couple of days where I totally pigged out. I am ready to get back on track today. I'd like to hear from anyone who has bounced back after going off the deep end on your diet.

Replies

• Altoprincess
    Altoprincess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    look forward not backward....do not beat yourself up....leave the past in the past..today is a new start....believe in yourself! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I evaluate my wants and needs. Do I really want to go on over eating or do I need to continue to lose weight to feel and look better.
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Think about why you had those bad days. Are your calories set too low? Was something going on in your life that caused you to overeat? The biggest thing I have learned is to not let those cheat/treat days define you. I saw this meme that really helped put things in perspective... Giving up on a goal because of a setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat. Don't slash your tires!! Fix that flat and move on. Do you need help setting your calories and macros to fit YOUR actual goals and activity levels?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    First off, it's not that big of a deal. Log it and figure out why it happened.

I've eaten ed 15k calories over a weekend and not seen a significant weight change when all said and done.

If part of the "pigging out" was from just plain starving feeling, you might want to make sure your eating enough.

If you have to eat a whole bag of chips instead of a serving ot two, then you might want to consider temporarily taking a break from that food.

Don't forget you can just do maintenance calories at times if you want to take a break from a deficit.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that more than half of the initial weight gain is water weight from all the sodium u took in! Drink lots of water!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You can't change what you did. At best you can learn from what happened and hopefully avoid it in the future. The recovery is no different than what you have been doing to lose so far.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just start again tomorrow!
    Plan it out and do it.
    Don't beat yourself up, it happens to everyone.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A few days off is not a huge deal. I just spent a week on vacation pigging out - really went overboard. Came home 2 lbs heavier. I've now been home a full week and have dropped 3 lbs already and am at my new low.

U just have to settle into a new normal - figure out how to live normally within your new calorie goal.

Alternatively, add some more exercise so u can eat more calories. I track my calories on a weekly basis - eat a wee bit less on weekdays and with extra exercise on the weekends, I can indulge more - usually eat dinners that are double in size than normal (because I visit friends or have friends over).
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking about this as your 'diet' remember that this is your life. Sometimes in life you will do great, eat healthy things, and stay at your goals. Some days you will overindulge, have a little too much fun, and go over. As long as you hit your goals more days than not, no need to panic. In a year's time, an indulgent day sprinkled in occasionally is not going to matter. Balance is key :)
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    lizwooshy wrote: »
    Instead of thinking about this as your 'diet' remember that this is your life. Sometimes in life you will do great, eat healthy things, and stay at your goals. Some days you will overindulge, have a little too much fun, and go over. As long as you hit your goals more days than not, no need to panic. In a year's time, an indulgent day sprinkled in occasionally is not going to matter. Balance is key :)

This!

You have to look at this as a lifestyle change, and changes are sometimes hard to do 24/7, especially something like changing your diet. If you were eating unhealthy for years, there are going to be days where you just overdo it. You're human. It happens.

What I do when I have a bad day is try not to beat myself up too much about it and the next morning, jump right back on. If I know I'm going to a party or it's a holiday (like today) where I know it's going to be tough to stay within my goal, I give myself a bit of slack. Tomorrow is another day and I know I'll feel better trying to stay on track.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Don't over compensate and try to be really agressive to deal with the bad eating. Just get right back onto your original plan (assuming like others have said that it's not a plan that needs adjustment).
  • Niccipj1022
    Niccipj1022 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of days where I totally pigged out. I am ready to get back on track today. I'd like to hear from anyone who has bounced back after going off the deep end on your diet.

• EmilyHughes801
    EmilyHughes801 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had about a week of bad days, but it all stops tomorrow. I'm getting right back on track because I door want to start over. Easter has me gaining the weight I lost after Christmas. Getting back on track. I'm not giving up.
  • got2befitnow
    got2befitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened over the past few days is done and over. It really doesn't matter in the big picture, so don't add guilt to yourself. Tomorrow, get back to your usual day of tracking and being active and this little 'blip' will be forgotten about. I have a belly full of chocolate bunny carcasses, but I also have great memories of a fantastic Easter with family and friends. And tomorrow I'll be sweating my *kitten* off at the track (and hopefully you did the same thing today). It's life.
  • elaineamj
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    A few days off is not a huge deal. I just spent a week on vacation pigging out - really went overboard. Came home 2 lbs heavier. I've now been home a full week and have dropped 3 lbs already and am at my new low.

U just have to settle into a new normal - figure out how to live normally within your new calorie goal.

Alternatively, add some more exercise so u can eat more calories. I track my calories on a weekly basis - eat a wee bit less on weekdays and with extra exercise on the weekends, I can indulge more - usually eat dinners that are double in size than normal (because I visit friends or have friends over).

I just have to share. A few days ago I was feeling great. Since then, I have spent the last couple of days eating everything in sight simply because I got crabby. I haven't completely climbed out of this hole yet - BUT I KNOW I WILL.

Just wanted to share that I feel your pain. This is my first big fall in a long time and I am annoyed with myself for undoing so much hard work.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Don't over compensate and try to be really agressive to deal with the bad eating. Just get right back onto your original plan (assuming like others have said that it's not a plan that needs adjustment).

Great advice
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I completely let go food wise over Easter. Didnt think was it good or bad, do I really need anymore. I ate when hungry which some days meant I skipped lunch altogether. I weighed myself Tuesday and found I had put on a kilo. Treated Tuesday & Wednesday like normal days, but probably upped the water intake (I tend to drink more water at work). Yesterday I had to pee all day, and sure enough this morning I was back where I started Thursday morning. I didnt feel guilty about the weekend, didnt over compensate when getting 'back on the wagon'. Its wasnt a big deal, I enjoyed a few day son indulgence and now feel like I am ready to shed the next few kilos.
  • rodriguezbc
    rodriguezbc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all of the support and wisdom!
  • elaineamj
    Options
    I completely let go food wise over Easter. Didnt think was it good or bad, do I really need anymore. I ate when hungry which some days meant I skipped lunch altogether. I weighed myself Tuesday and found I had put on a kilo. Treated Tuesday & Wednesday like normal days, but probably upped the water intake (I tend to drink more water at work). Yesterday I had to pee all day, and sure enough this morning I was back where I started Thursday morning. I didnt feel guilty about the weekend, didnt over compensate when getting 'back on the wagon'. Its wasnt a big deal, I enjoyed a few day son indulgence and now feel like I am ready to shed the next few kilos.

Just read your comment and I like the way you think. It's not always bad to have a few days of indulgence...and then get back to work again on losing some more!

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Accept it and don't beat yourself up. It's no big deal!
    Drink lots of water. Start the day with a healthy, filling breakfast and continue to make better choices from there.
    Just go back to what was working for you!

"Don't look back, you're not going that way!"