Green tea... yes or no?

Options
Hey guys! I have read around and heard that green tea helps you lose weight. Is this true? and if it is how many mugs should you drink a day and how many calories does it 'burn' per mug?

Replies

• carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to hear answers to this too!
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't know that it helps you to lose weight, during the warmer months it was my "go to" rather then having a snack so it helped keep me on track but did it help me lose weight...no
  • freakoutadams
    Options
    I hear it helps boost metabolism. But no matter. Just drink it. Green Tea is awesome! ^_^
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea all the time. Here is an article about the health benefits: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    it doesnt burn calories when you drink it... it just helps to boost your metabolism naturally. I drink it because I like it, and I definetly stick to diet if its cold. Start drinking it and see how it effects you! for me, I didn't tell a difference- but then again I had been drinking it my whole life!
    Good luck to you!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It has cafeine, calorie free, and a way to drink water, so yes it can help you loose by filling you up, keepign you hydrated, and giving you a slight boost which might mean you work out instead of sitting on the couch.
  • MalyMal
    MalyMal Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, I once ready an article that said if you drink 1 cup of green tea a day you will loose something like 10 pounds in a year. I am not sure how much truth is in it but I think it has something to do with your metabolism or something. Its a nice alternative anyway you don't want coffee but a warm drink in any case LOL
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    Green Tea contains ECGC, a component reportedly boosts your metabolism. Personally, I don't drink it. One of the common side effects that is rarely mentioned is that it can be constipating. Also, it's reported that you need to drink 10 glasses of it to get the metabolism boost that people are looking for.
    HTH!
  • dkpattillo
    Options
    I use green tea as a replacement for coffee. It has a little less caffine, but no calories. When you think about it, coffee plus milk/creamer plus sugar/splenda, the calories can add up.
    Whether or not is helps you lose weight? it depends on how you look at it. If you're thinking you burn calories just by drinking it, then no. I drink green tea every morning before my work outs. It helps speed up your metabolism, gives you the energy you need to wake up in the morning and gives me that burst of energy I need before a good work out.
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I say yes! Everybody is different tho. I drink two cups in the morning, ice cold...Green tea helps boost your metabolism and burns belly fat! :) (Per Dr. Oz show) I've heard the more you drink the more you can lose weight..but thats about all I can do, I like to drink water sometimes, and I still like my soda. But, I can definitely tell a difference when I'm on it and when I'm not.
  • donnacowboysfan
    Options
    Hi! I'm here to add my two cents :O)
    I drink a cup of green tea in the morning....and then another cup after dinner....right about the time I want to munch on something!
    it does boost metabolism and it curbs my munchies.
    Also, it's great to have a warm drink...even if it's lemon water, after meals. It helps with digestion...and aids in 'moving the food along' if ya know what I mean:O)
    good luck!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I started to drink green tea in April when I started this. It helps fill me up so I don't snack, keeps my hydrated and makes me feel good because I believe it's good for you.
    Sometimes I believe it is actually good for you and speeds your metabolism, other times I think it's all in the mind and that works too. I don't snack and I drink 7-10 cups a day!!!
    I love the pear one
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    No, there isn't enough EGCG in it and what's in it has poor bio-availability. Antioxidants are it's benefit.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Green tea is amazing!
    Drink is unsweetened so you aren't getting unheatlhy stuff from fake sweetners or calories from real sugar.
    And ONLY drink it when you've been eating regularly through out the day; sometimes when I've drank it after
    only eating very little food that day or not having eaten for several hours, it made me throw up.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! I always drink it hot, and I typically have 2-4 cups a day. It really does keep me from snacking, which is good enough reason for me to drink it, but I also feel like I lose more because of it... But that could all be in my head!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking green tea for years. During the years i gained 30lbs but i was making bad food choices.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I find when i have green tea after a meal, i tend to feel fuller for longer and i'm not snacking soon after.