Weight loss and lifting

Options
I've been counting calories for the past 2 months. For the last month I've been going to the gym. I lift lightly 3 times a week, and do cardio every day of the week. I usually try to run at least 2 miles at 8mph each day, or exercise of equivalent difficulty. I stay under my calorie goal of 1900 everyday. I started off weighing 250, but for the past 2 weeks I've been stuck at 220. Is lifting to blame?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cardio - too much, is to blame.
    Keep carbs under 100 grams/day. Amazing! :)
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No, especially if you're lifting light weights. I'm no expert, but I think most of the regulars here would say you haven't hit a plateau until you've been at the same weight for 3 weeks.

You've also lost 30 pounds. I don't know what your goal weight is, but the closer you get to it, the slower weight loss becomes. In addition, you may need to recalculate the amount of calories you need to be eating at a deficit in order to lose, as a result of your loss so far.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    7yytvo12loly.jpg
    No new exercise can cause water retention esp weights where you are taxing the muscle (even light weights will if you are new)

Give it a couple more weeks and if not then look at your logging, are you weighing portions or eyeballing/using cups?
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm at the same problem. I have roughly 20 more pounds to go and i've not lost a single pound in 3 weeks. But i found i lost an inch around my waist. Could the same be happening to you? Losing inches and no pounds?
  • 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The calorie goals are signposts in the sand. If you are not losing weight you need to adjust those sign post. The calorie # really don't matter. The thing that matters is whether or not you are losing weight. Readjust, Just like Lucky Numbers said.
  • tjsloff
    tjsloff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    I'm at the same problem. I have roughly 20 more pounds to go and i've not lost a single pound in 3 weeks. But i found i lost an inch around my waist. Could the same be happening to you? Losing inches and no pounds?

Yeah, the same has been happening slowly.
  • tjsloff
    tjsloff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try to figure out how to recalculate how much I should be eating a day.