Vitamins to take?

Options
Okay, I've thought up another question.
I'm not a big pill taker unless I'm in absolute need of it, but should you be taking daily vitamins when shooting for weight loss?
Sounds kind of hypocritical to me, but I'm simply just curious. I've never taken vitamins in all my 22 years, haha.

I also keep hearing that women should take 'prenatal vitamins'. What's the claim on that?

Replies

• ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also would like to know! i just started taking my prenatals...my hair has become brittle and dry since I started working out everyday! Would someone shed some light on this???

Feel free to add me!
  • juyish
    juyish Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would advise talking with your doctor or a nutritionist to advise you what you should be taking. For example I am not a big dairy person so I know that after 30, calcium is a vital nutrient that I need, so I supplement by taking calcium just making sure I am getting what I need. Another one that I take is Vitamine B for energy (not everyday) but every other day. I take it because I have seen the difference when I am taking it and working out.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I take some vitamins on doctor's orders. I have anemia and hypothyroidism, so my iron, D and B vitamin levels are almost always low. I take those specific vitamins and feel good.

Getting a check up and asking them to test your levels might be a place to start to see if you need some vitamin support. I don't believe you need vitamins unless your diet isn't providing enough of a nutrient.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Heres a link to a great Webmd application.

I used it to pick out what I want to take.
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/vitamins-and-supplements-evaluator/default.htm

I am currently taking:
    Multivitamin
    Iron (i have slight anemia)
    Omega-3 (my joints are weak and this helps, plus its good for heart, skin, and hair)
    Glucosamine Condroitin (joints)
    Vitamin-B Complex (energy and metabolism)
    Vitamin C (I like on a college campus so theres always at least one sick person around, and i just can't afford to get sick)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also would like to know! i just started taking my prenatals...my hair has become brittle and dry since I started working out everyday! Would someone shed some light on this???

The brittle dry hair may be because you are cutting out fats from your diet. Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are vital to having healthy glowing skin and shiny hair. Be sure that you don't cut out 100% of your fats because you hair may fall out (not to sound alarmist, but its true, it can happen!)
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    The only conclusive way to know what your levels are, is to have your blood drawn by your doc. If you are eating a well rounded diet, chances are you may need to take nothing. I recently had mine taken and my levels were perfect. Tons of people take vitamins unnecessarily, so it's worth checking