Aiming to begin Monday. Looking for accountability partners!

Options
Nifesie
Nifesie Posts: 25 Member
I’m doing a grocery haul tomorrow and will begin my dietary change on Monday! I will be consuming a low carb/high fat diet, but I would love to support and partnership with anyone here. I’m definitely seeking partners to hold me accountable because sometimes I need some assistance. Food and me have never really had a good relationship, haha.

My stats are:
Female/25/5’3”
Current weight: 170lb
Goal weight: 110lb – 115lb

Macros:
1240cal
100g fat
75g protein
10g net carbohydrates

Aah, I also should add that I just had a baby this last January (my little booger will be three months in April) and I am a breastfeeding mother, so my daily calorie intake will likely increase between 200cal to 300cal to ensure my supply doesn’t dwindle.

I hope to talk to many of you! I will be updating daily, open diary, and doing what I can to aim for success!

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Hi Nifesie, what's made you choose to go down the 'high fat' diet route? I would have thought the fat & protein macro values should be reversed or if you follow the default macro settings in MFP and keep you total calorie deficit you should do just fine.
    Be wary of imposing extra restrictions on your foods that make it unsustainable as a long term lifestyle and rather a 'diet' that you get fed up with or only follow short term. Good luck though whichever way you decide to go.
  • Nifesie
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Hi Nifesie, what's made you choose to go down the 'high fat' diet route? I would have thought the fat & protein macro values should be reversed or if you follow the default macro settings in MFP and keep you total calorie deficit you should do just fine.
    Be wary of imposing extra restrictions on your foods that make it unsustainable as a long term lifestyle and rather a 'diet' that you get fed up with or only follow short term. Good luck though whichever way you decide to go.

I have a few friends who have been doing the Ketogenic Diet for 5+ years and I have been curious about it for some time. I'm not good at explaining the why's or how it works other than information from /r/Keto and and /r/Ketoscience. In a nutshell, it's redirecting the fuel source for your body to be fat instead of carbs.

This is definitely a lifestyle change. A way of eating versus a get thin quick diet. I've done things like that in the past and they suck, haha! Thank you~
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    Read this too:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10305529/new-years-resolution-have-a-plan-of-action-to-succeed#latest

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I see! Well all the very best to you and I only wish I had a smidge of your willpower in resisting carbs. I am a slave to the stodge
  • gillygum
    gillygum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey lady! I'm restarting Keto tomorrow too and having my mom try it for a week as well. We can be accountability partners if you'd like! I'm looking to lose 15-20. Have you also seen the Reddit thread? There is a competition with Monday weigh-ins. We'd be pretty late in the game, but still, it's a good community to be a part of.
  • nomadic_frau
    nomadic_frau Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just started a few days ago and would love to add new friends. My goal is 25g a day. Clearly exercise and just calorie counting isn't helping, so I'm going another direction. I've been yo-yoing for months now. I too have an open diet and accept friend requests.
  • rpr1985
    rpr1985 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Time to do some research on this keto diet..I'm currently doing this 180gprotein 50g fat and 150g carb.. I feel like 180g protein drinking three 25g/serving protein shake to reach my goal is a bit too much.
  • Nifesie
    Options
    rpr1985 wrote: »
    Time to do some research on this keto diet..I'm currently doing this 180gprotein 50g fat and 150g carb.. I feel like 180g protein drinking three 25g/serving protein shake to reach my goal is a bit too much.

You can use this calculator to try it out! http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

My fats are 100g, but I don't have to consume all 100g. The priority while losing mass is to ensure I get close to my protein goal of 75g as to prevent muscle loss and consume the fats for satiety and fuel. Honestly, I could go completely 0 carb, but I love my veggies.

You can go to Reddit.com/r/keto to ask questions and read up on it. :)
  • Nifesie
    Options
    I just started a few days ago and would love to add new friends. My goal is 25g a day. Clearly exercise and just calorie counting isn't helping, so I'm going another direction. I've been yo-yoing for months now. I too have an open diet and accept friend requests.

The goal isn't the carb count! It's to try to remain below it. You could honestly consume 0 carb and be fine and dandy. The important macros are the fats (for fuel and satiety) and protein (to prevent muscle loss and other functions). Try this calculator! :)

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Nifesie
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Read this too:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10305529/new-years-resolution-have-a-plan-of-action-to-succeed#latest

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you very much!
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Call me stupid...but if you want to lose weight....so you pick a diet...that makes it all fat.
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How are you going to lose weight exactly??
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new little wee one! At 3 months post partum it's understandable to feel the way you do. Feel free to add me as a friend. I keep my food diary open to friends.
  • TheUntamedMainer
    TheUntamedMainer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me. :)
  • Nifesie
    Options
    How are you going to lose weight exactly??

By not consuming carbohydrates, the body uses fats as fuel instead, which causes one to lose mass. Protein consumption is important to not lose muscle mass and for the body to use as glucose for organ function.
  • MsGoalDigga
    MsGoalDigga Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started again yesterday, hopefully this time I'll stick with it and make it count. I've lost 38lbs since Dec 2015 but gained 7lbs. Any accountability partners would be a great help. I'm also in a fb group called "ketogenic dieters". Which promotes moderate protein to prevent muscles loss (after all your HEART is a MUSCLE) vs low protein and high fat.
  • jennnco
    jennnco Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Love the support system! Add me! I'm "restarting" again and this time it is for the long haul
  • Nifesie
    Options
    I started again yesterday, hopefully this time I'll stick with it and make it count. I've lost 38lbs since Dec 2015 but gained 7lbs. Any accountability partners would be a great help. I'm also in a fb group called "ketogenic dieters". Which promotes moderate protein to prevent muscles loss (after all your HEART is a MUSCLE) vs low protein and high fat.

Low protein, high fat wouldn't be the Ketogenic Diet anyway, so that's perfect. Ketogenic is very low carb, moderate protein, high fat. Here is a calculator to use for your macros!

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • jnlacy84
    jnlacy84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keto diet is mostly for directing your body to burn fat instead of glucose. Its mostly done for those that are insulin resistent (pre-diabetic) or other health reasons. You want to make sure your body will process the high fat intake correctly.
  • niloufarK
    niloufarK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Im already on day 4 of mine, and have traces of ketones. Would love to continue with you guys for the long haul.