Training for a 5K

Options
I'm training to run a 5K, but every day I get done with my training, I feel really down about it and don't feel like I'm changing.

I haven't REALLY changed how I've been eating, but I watch for what I eat. It just feels like I'm not doing enough, I don't think I can do it.

I am on the 3rd day of my training program, but I just don't think I can stay with it.

Anything anyone can offer would be great! If you have any food plans or if you've done a 5K, what was your process?

Thank you all for your time!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's only been 3 days....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How far can you run now? What does your training program consist of?Consider Couch to 5k app or program to ramp up gradually. And yes, nutrition and hydration matter.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What has you down? You're only on day 3 of training. You'll be able to run a 5k. It's really not as far as it seems once you start running regularly (aka more than your first 3 days), and you'll soon be surprised at how much easier running is and how far you can run. I really don't mean this is a patronizing way, but perhaps you just need an attitude adjustment and self confidence.

If it's your weight that has you down, focus on what you're eating, and realize that weight loss results also take time.
  • SJax7192
    SJax7192 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How far can you run now? What does your training program consist of?Consider Couch to 5k app or program to ramp up gradually. And yes, nutrition and hydration matter.

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I'm using this app program and it's been really helpful! I just wish it had a meal plan of some sort...
  • SJax7192
    SJax7192 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What has you down? You're only on day 3 of training. You'll be able to run a 5k. It's really not as far as it seems once you start running regularly (aka more than your first 3 days), and you'll soon be surprised at how much easier running is and how far you can run. I really don't mean this is a patronizing way, but perhaps you just need an attitude adjustment and self confidence.

If it's your weight that has you down, focus on what you're eating, and realize that weight loss results also take time.

Thank you for your reply! I didn't take it that way and maybe I do. I'm so focused on the instant results that will never get there instantly. I need to realize the best things take time. Thank you for helping me see that!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Eat what you love within your calorie limit.

Do what the C25K app says, including the rest days which are very important.

Eating%20Right_zps4gbrqnjd.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k is a 12-16 week programme... so you'll see the results in 12-16 weeks not 3 days.

Plus running won't make you lose weight, it's a calorie deficit that does that.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It all takes time. Don't be impatient with yourself or set the goal too high. Ease into it and make long term changes that are positive influences for you.

I've been working on my cardio base for years now. I have the rest of my life to get where I want to be.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I've done more 5Ks than I can count and I hate running.

I actually didn't train at all. I just signed up for one. And I ran part of it and walked part of it. And there are plenty of other people who do the same thing.

I did my first 10K last year and did the same thing. I came in in the LAST group to finish - there was a guy who was about 80 who was running with me lol. I don't really care about the time though - the important thing was that I did it.
  • ashpile83
    ashpile83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also am in my first week of the C25k program. I felt really sluggish and didn't want to do it on day two and three. But by day 4, I was energized and excited to keep going. I am doing it a little differently, in that I am trying to build a habit of it, so for 21 days I am getting up at 4:45 and hit the track EVERYDAY. I just walked on the two "off" days. But by Thursday (my second off day), I wanted to run. Two things that help me are, I don't eat before I go out, I do it first thing in the morning. I also read about charity miles and decided that if I am going to be out there and walking/jogging/running, I may as well us it to benefit others. It doesn't help me donate much right now, but I just keep telling myself that every little bit helps and it keeps me motivated and accountable.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It took me six months to feel ready for my first 5K. Be patient. Set smaller goals for now. There's no rule that says you have to be able to do it all from the start. Do one mile, then 1 1/2, then two and so on. You'll get there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Focus on addressing this:

"I'm so focused on the instant results that will never get there instantly. I need to realise the best things take time."

A 5K program generally takes from 6-8 weeks and you are on day 3 and discouraged.
    Unrealistic expectations will always lead to failure to continue.

Add patience, hard work and perseverance to your thought process.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's been a while since I ran a 5K. I been running for some time now and I don't really run those anymore. The biggest thing everyone has touched on before is the fact that it's still early in your journey.

When I first started, I was just walking and trying to run for a min straight. And I did that for weeks. I would extend the run time as much as I could, 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins etc....Then I was running 30 mins and walking 1 min. Until I got to the point were I was just running.

That takes time to build up. Since your body has to adjust to the stresses of running.

Foods are so individual it's hard to tell you what will work best for you. For me if I'm going to run I eat light and stay away from high seasoning. Pestos, marinara, spicy or sauce type foods are a no no for me prior to a run.

Main thing is its going to take some time but that time will fly by. Experiment with different food choices. And as you get more fit and customed, you will desire the bad stuff less because it doesn't benefit your body as much as you thought it did back in the day
  • looseboy
    looseboy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All I can say is stick with the plan and before long you will realise the benefits and see your own progress, which in turn will motivate you to push for the next increment of change in the plan.

I have never been a runner and am a fairly big lad.
    I started C210k at the beggining of the year and completed 40 mins non stop running this week.
    I was walking 2 minutes and running 1minute x8 in week 1, so very happy with progress made to date.
    If I had pushed harder or been disheartened I may not have made it to my first full 5k the other week or the 40 minute run this week.
    I have my goal of 10k in the next few weeks and I am sticking to the plan.
    Good luck with following yours and enjoy the journey.
    As for food I log everything good or bad and reduce the obviously outrageous food stuffs.
    I am not going without but am making sure I put some thought into what I eat.
    24lbs down so far.
  • 1976whitemgb
    1976whitemgb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a proud member of the Back of the Pack group. I just completed my 2nd 10K this weekend (and 46th race overall - mostly 5Ks). I am slow. My fastest mile is 14:40. But I'm out there. I jog about 25% of the time and walk the rest. All that matters - at least to me - is that I cross the finish line. I've been dead last in several races. The first time it really bothered me. Now I wear it like a badge of honor. You're only three days in to a training program. It takes time, especially if you're not used to running. Keep at it!!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I am with the rest of the posters- it takes time. I think it took at least of few weeks of the program to get into a rhythm and almost completion to say, "Damn, I can run for 20 min straight now!". Just remember, if you find a week too hard or can't finish, repeat that week until you can. I also started walking before I started running (but I was really out of shape when I started exercising again). Now, I can run for almost 2 hours straight!

I will say, if you really truly hate it then find something that you do like and interests you. Swimming, biking, weight lifting, etc. But I wouldn't give up on running so quickly because if I had, I would never have discovered that I actually really like it.

I wish you good luck on your journey, OP! :)
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    7-8 hours of sleep every night. Eat healthy. Drink plenty of water. Run constantly at a set time for your workouts. Maybe try eating a banana an hour before you run. You may slow down for the first few days as your body adjusts. By the end of week two you'll notice improvements.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Keep at it with C25K- The results will come.

I will also add that most days I hate running and find it impossible, but last week found myself running 4 miles without stopping for the first time in years. I think a lot of it is a mental block, not a fitness block.

Additionally, I've found that decreasing my "running" pace to more of a jog allows me to go further.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    C25k is a 12-16 week programme... so you'll see the results in 12-16 weeks not 3 days.

Plus running won't make you lose weight, it's a calorie deficit that does that.

This. The program will help you to run a 5k in 12+ weeks. But it's not necessarily going to make you lose weight. Or even help you lose weight as much as you might think. A lot of people find themselves hungrier when they start a new exercise program and basically eat to compensate. Running isn't a whole lot more effective at calorie burn than walking is. So to lose weight you need to do more than just keep an eye on how much you are eating in a general sense, you need to absolutely log everything.

For the running side of things, try to be patient. You should expect improvements every 1-2 weeks. Not every day. Sometimes you will have crappy runs. I guarantee the next run after a crappy run will be better. Also try not to go too fast. Go slow enough you could have a conversation without gasping for breath if you needed. Speed will come later. Right now you're just trying to make it a habit and not get injured. So just focus on making it a habit.