Mind blown

Options
So I just started using this app. My cousin persuaded me to do it as an experiment because I was so frustrated with not losing weight. Even though I wasn't exercising as much (if any lol) I was eating better. Sooo she finds a forum where people are struggling with quitting alcohol use. This is me to a T! A lot of our social life orbits around drinking so it is really hard. And having social anxiety, those drinks were really helping me relax. I liked how easily I could talk to people and not feel uncomfortable but along with all the other amazing great things alcohol does for you (dripping sarcasm), I just couldn't imagine not drinking. Then my youngest daughter moved away to college (commence the ripping pain in my heart), I started drinking at home after work. Beer, wine, Malibu rum ...mostly whatever was in the house. I did stop at the vodka my husband always has handy but mostly because he'd probably start locking me out of the house if I started drinking it....which is another reason it was so hard to stop drinking. He drinks vodka and Diet Coke every night but back to my reason for this post...So here I am trying to climb the mountain that keeps getting bigger and bigger, lo and behold..my cousin (love you) sends me a link to a forum on this app. It's a member who is having this same problem. In fact, it has many members that are having this same issue. IM NOT ALONE! Woohoo! And in the thread, a personal trainer with many acronyms after her name (with all the crap on the Internet, this triggers my trust button switch heehee) posts about the effects of drinking during sleep. I knew drinking wasn't good for your body and hurt weight loss but I didn't know the science behind it. Long story short, your body and liver have to address the alcohol before anything else. Ok this isn't a news flash but the part that made my jaw drop is that your body burns fat during sleep but can't do any of that if you have alcohol in your system which turns all your other stuff in to stored fat. WTH!!!! Why haven't I seen this posted all over Facebook instead of the wives gushing about their husbands, children and all the horrible things happening to animals??? Don't get me wrong. Those all are important but geez lawheeze!!! This should be on a friggin billboard on all the major interstates!! Ok I'm exaggerating a little but to whoever that person was (I don't remember the name) THANK YOU for posting that vital info and thank you to my cousin for finding it and sending it to me. I haven't drank in two days and don't have the desire to. Sure...it might be a phase but for right now, thinking about the cheeseburger I ate for dinner literally going right to my thighs if I drink because my poor body is dealing with the devil juice first, AH HELL NO! :)

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for your resolution.
    I wish you the best in your new lifestyle
    Try to join a local group that deal with this issue
    Good luck in your journey. Godspeed
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You got this, TomBrady, and when your daughter comes back home from school, she's going to see just how awesome you're doing, and that will make your hard work feel even better. :-)
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Glad you have found the strength to cut back, but don't worry if you slip back to having a drink now and then, you won't have 'failed', set realistic goals and be ok that occasionally if you want a drink or if it's a special event, that's ok. Just make your choices informed decisions and you'll be all good.
  • tombradyfan22
    tombradyfan22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and go with the flow. :wink:
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Rock on!! You got this!! Hope AND Work for the best, yeah?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    and on the flip side, when you don't have a well functioning liver, (like my husband but the doctors never knew why) all you food can turn into a chemical imbalance called "an ammonia coma" which your liver just can't process. You can drive a car one day, and the next day you can't walk, or understand why you can't figure out how the remote works.

Glad you found this site though! I hope it gives you strength!
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I too love my wine and staying away for as much as possible is the best thing you can do for yourself and your body! It is an every day kind of struggle when a habit has taken hold but you can do this! Good luck on your journey!
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So glad you're here! Besides, if you log the calories in those drinks that'll solve the mystery of weight loss really quick. All sugars and all sad, sad, empty calories. Especially if you have any diabetes related issues. Booze can really spike your blood sugar. No bueno. I wasn't a big drinker before MFP, now maybe once or twice a year. In the available dessert calories competition of life, pie will always win! :)

Keep up the good work!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    In the available dessert calories competition of life, pie will always win! :)

Ok best quote EVER. :-)

• sophiebardem31
    sophiebardem31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I found this information out as well. Xo