10 lbs 1 month?

Options
Hello, for all of those who have lost weight and know realistically the amount of time it takes to lose weight : do you think it is possible to lose 10 pounds in one month? I am 5'8'' and 145 pounds. I exercise 5-6X a week, running for 30-45 minutes. It is my diet where I lack self control!

Replies

• Chocolate99
    Options
    Hello, for all of those who have lost weight and know realistically the amount of time it takes to lose weight : do you think it is possible to lose 10 pounds in one month? I am 5'8'' and 145 pounds. I exercise 5-6X a week, running for 30-45 minutes. It is my diet where I lack self control!
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but for more successful and long term weight loss, the recommendation is to lose between 1 and 2 pounds per week unless you are extremely overweight (by 50 pounds or more). So, I'd aim for 5-8 per month.
  • sweetcorruption
    Options
    it's possible, but it isn't very safe. The slower you lose your weight, the more likely your body is to adapt to fluctuations and the faster your metabolism speeds up.
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    if it is your first month I would say yes. The first week of new diet/exercise plan you should expect to lose 5-7 lbs and can safely go 1-2 lbs a week after that. Max weight for the first month is about 13 lbs. at your weight/height it wouldn't be healthy to lose more than that. The people on the biggest loser do lose a lot more than that, but they are A. a LOT bigger than you to start with and B. under constant medical supervision. I am just the opposite from you. I struggle with the workouts, but am pretty good about my diets. My real downfall though is water consumption. I drink 2-4 glasses a day instead of the recommended 8 or more. We all have our faults, but you can do this!
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've actually lost almost 10 lbs. in 1 week before, so it is very possible. Granted, at that time I was at my heaviest (5'10" & 246 lbs.), I had ate very healthy the whole week for the first time in my life, and I exercised 6 days in a row that week for the first time in my life. I think my body was just very ready to let go of some weight.

Honestly though, I don't think that you could lose 10 lbs. in a month only because you probably don't have a whole lot of weight to lose and you are already very active. But, who knows. :smile:
  • Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10 pounds each of the last 2 months. Simply eating my calories on MFP and walking for exercise 30-60 min 3-4 times per week.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    From experience, as my stats are about the same as yours, since your weight versus height is considered in the "healthy range" it is harder to lose it quickly if you're doing it healthy. But being 19 might be to your advantage compared to my 34 as your metabolism may be revving a little higher. I do think though that if you go from eating a lot of fried food, fast food, unhealthy food and start filling your diet with more fruits and vegetables, that you will probably see a difference. The last 2-4 lb may be a pain in the butt to come off, but you can do it.
  • harlequsngirl
    Options
    It is totally possible depending on your situation. I started working out and really watching my caloric intake at the end of November. In 6 weeks I have lost almost 20 pounds. I work out 5 times a week, two of those days are with a personal trainer for 30 minutes. My body fat percentage has gone down 4% and I have dropped inches like crazy all over my body. With you already being a healthy weight for your height it might take a bit longer if you aren't carrying water weight etc but if you are eating healthy and you step up your workouts it could happen.
  • Chocolate99
    Options
    thanks for the feedback :)
    I know it isn't safe to lose weight fast, reading break vacation is just creeping up on me fast.
    Good luck with your goals everyone!