I lost over 100lbs now I've gained some of it back

Options
So like the title says, I've put some weight back on. I started off at around 375lbs, got down to about 265, and now I'm back up to 291. I'm 6'6" so if those numbers seem a bit strange, that's why. So what changed? I used to run daily and limit my caloric intake, it took a toll on my body. I partially tore my hamstring and wasn't able to run anymore, at that point I began to focus more on weight training. Finding a balance point between the two has been extremely difficult. I'm just about healed up to where I can run for long distances again, but I don't want to lose what strength I've gained in the weight room. I'm sitting right around 20% body fat according to my digital reader, and I would like to get down to the single digits. Anyone out there think they can help me out? Diet tips, workouts, etc. anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• hunkofmexican
    hunkofmexican Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    First cut sugars and increase veges , then watch fats and raise proteins , then win the lotto and get lipo ... lol , just kidding , the true trick to weight loss over the long run is watch calories and types of nutrition ... yur 28 and have the time to do it slowly and correctly , if your looking to drop the weight fast , but a lotto ticket ... lol
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Omg how did you lose so much weight? How long did it take you? Im 6'2 weigh 340 it seemd similar so im wondering
  • Robert0VW
    Robert0VW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Honestly I did a lot of cardio, I built up to where I was running 3-4 miles a day and was limiting my calories, I wasn't worrying about proteins fats carbs or anything like that, just tried to keep it healthy and balanced, but it worked. It took almost a year and a half but I did it. The thing was though, I was lean, but I had no muscle mass like I was used to. I used to play football and was used to being able to lift a lot of weight. I got to the point now where I'm back to bench pressing 405 but I want to lean back out. It takes a lot of food to build the muscle mass I needed to get there, I'm having trouble now readjusting.
  • hunkofmexican
    Options
    Keep this thread alive , the man is asking for help
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but from what I gather if you want to lose weight and keep as much muscle you should lift and eat at calorie defecit and if you want to build muscle you lift weights and eat at a surplus. While you lose weight you will lose some muscle but you keep lifting to keep it at a minimum and while you are building muscle you will gain some fat as well but watch what you eat to keep that as a minimum as well. Apparently it is a cycle you "cut" then "bulk" the cut again etc.. Look in success stories and click on " I went from morbidly obese to six pack" lots of good info on there and he definitely seems to know what he is talking about it.. The man is an inspiration
  • Robert0VW
    Robert0VW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It seems like I keep getting stuck in the bulking phase lol I'm going to try calorie cutting and then just high rep low weight workouts to maintain flexibility in the muscles. Any thoughts?
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Lol I've been "bulking " for years
  • hunkofmexican
    Options
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    vandub88 wrote: »
    It seems like I keep getting stuck in the bulking phase lol I'm going to try calorie cutting and then just high rep low weight workouts to maintain flexibility in the muscles. Any thoughts?

Heavy lifting is fine, if that's what you prefer. To lose weight, no matter what exercise program you're doing, you need to eat at a deficit.
  • dmundz
    dmundz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know myself I'm very sensitive to carbs and holding weight. If you wanting to cut more and gain some muscle why not keep to a high rep lower weight gym routine. Keep it to short breaks between sets to keep your heart rate up the entire workout.

On top of that diet is key. Cut out all or most those sugars!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    DUDE!!! MY BRUTHA FROM ANUTHA MUTHA!!! My highest was 375 also. Lost 120 of it and put back about 12. Keep your eye on the prize dude. LETS DO THIS!!!
  • hunkofmexican
    Options
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on working so hard and sticking to your goals. I know it can be frustrating when injuries sideline your progress.

As long as you are doing some kind of regularly scheduled legit resistance training program, you shouldn't lose much strength while losing weight. You can choose a progressive lifting program that helps you gain strength, or you can just choose to take it slow and just work to maintain what you have. If you have fitness goals for both cardio and lifting, you'll probably have to take some time to figure out what works for your body and what doesn't so you can continue to train and lose weight at the same time. In my experience, it can be tricky. I alternate cardio days with strength training, so eating lower than a 300 cal/day deficit can be difficult. Since I'm enjoying my fitness gains, I decided to lose at a slower rate so I could have more success training.