pondering short-term goals as well as long-term goals

Options
the other day, i responded to a poster by saying having goals makes it easier for me to stick to my calories. someone responded by telling the poster that she thought goals are a bad idea. i know everyone is different, but this surprised me.

i tend to have short-term goals, sort of smaller steps toward a larger goal. i find that the smaller goals give me something more immediate to shoot for, giving me something to feel good about and also just being easier to imagine getting to - it's easier to lose 20 pounds than 100 just like it's easier to save $100 rather than $1500. each goal is a real and important step, not just a fake "feel good" step.

i've noticed some MFPers who set only larger, longer-term goals for themselves - losing 200 pounds as a single goal, for example. it's going to take a couple years at least, so you spend two or three years not meeting any goal or reason to pat yourself on the back. and since losing 25 pounds is a real achievement and a great place to get started losing weight without overdoing it, i can't see the harm in breaking down any long-term goal.

i'd be interested to hear others' views on this.

Replies

• rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think smaller goals are great and to me, more helpful. As long as you don't put a time limit on it (lose x amount of pounds by June 1st). That just sets you up for failure.
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As of right now I have a small goal- lose the 12 more pounds to get under 200 lbs. I will then probably have a goal of getting to 180, and so on. I have a general time in which I'd like to lose the 12 lbs, but I'm not going to freak out if I don't make it by then. I think if I just thought about my long term goal, it would feel as if I wasn't making much progress. Short term goals help me stay positive.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I set various types of goals for myself almost daily.
    Sometimes it's to meet a certain weight, sometimes it's to fit into the next size down pair of jeans, sometimes it's to walk an extra mile and sometimes it's just to get to bed early.
    Now that I read this, I realize what a goal oriented person I am but it's working for me.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I set various types of goals for myself almost daily.
    Sometimes it's to meet a certain weight, sometimes it's to fit into the next size down pair of jeans, sometimes it's to walk an extra mile and sometimes it's just to get to bed early.
    Now that I read this, I realize what a goal oriented person I am but it's working for me.

^This. I have learned that having a single big goal can be overwhelming without some small victories. Most of my goals have lately been around training (10k in two weeks!) but hitting my calorie goals for a day, saying NO to something I might want but don't need, trying a new recipe, etc. I need goals and challenges or I wallow. Lol.

After this 10k, I am hoping to run a half marathon by November (before I turn 30). I am excited to have these challenges. Find what works for you, and go for it. Everyone has a different way to approach their journey :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    the other day, i responded to a poster by saying having goals makes it easier for me to stick to my calories. someone responded by telling the poster that she thought goals are a bad idea. i know everyone is different, but this surprised me.

i tend to have short-term goals, sort of smaller steps toward a larger goal. i find that the smaller goals give me something more immediate to shoot for, giving me something to feel good about and also just being easier to imagine getting to - it's easier to lose 20 pounds than 100 just like it's easier to save $100 rather than $1500. each goal is a real and important step, not just a fake "feel good" step.

i've noticed some MFPers who set only larger, longer-term goals for themselves - losing 200 pounds as a single goal, for example. it's going to take a couple years at least, so you spend two or three years not meeting any goal or reason to pat yourself on the back. and since losing 25 pounds is a real achievement and a great place to get started losing weight without overdoing it, i can't see the harm in breaking down any long-term goal.

i'd be interested to hear others' views on this.

Smaller goals help me. I recognize the BIG picture of total weight loss/goal weight, etc. And Im giving myself a considerable time frame (so I can BEAT it) so that I dont have the pressure of a time table.
    The mini-goals help me feel successful along the way. If I only celebrated the 50lbs lost day- thats no fun.
    So I celebrate every inch lost and reward myself at every 10lbs lost. To each their own.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I set both types of goals. My short term goals seems to be more eating, activity or fitness oriented. Things that will get me to my larger weight-loss goal. For instance, I post in the daily commitment thread so have daily goals. Today they are to walk the dogs, eat within weight-loss calories, walk > 10k steps, and do a strength workout. My longer term goal is to lose 28.3 pounds and I'm down to my last 10. I tend to have moved away from setting weight goals based on a time limit because it's too stressful if I don't make it. I figure all my daily and weekly goals will get me there eventually and so far it's been working out. I do think goals are important, both long term and short term.

Maybe people have them but don't think of them as goals. Like logging accurately and consistently may be something they do but don't really think of as a goal. *shrug*
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Smaller goals help me. I recognize the BIG picture of total weight loss/goal weight, etc. And Im giving myself a considerable time frame (so I can BEAT it) so that I dont have the pressure of a time table.
    The mini-goals help me feel successful along the way. If I only celebrated the 50lbs lost day- thats no fun.
    So I celebrate every inch lost and reward myself at every 10lbs lost. To each their own.

they don't just help you FEEL successful - you are successful, and that's something to feel good about on the way :)

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    For me having goals keeps me focused. I used to set monthly non-scale goals for myself. I know that I don't have total control over the number on the scale but I can control how often I log my meals, how much water I drink, and how often I go to the gym, etc.

Thanks for posting this OP. It was a nice reminder that I need to get back to doing that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why anyone would think goals are a bad idea - how do you decide what direction to head in if you don't know where you're going???

I think time-frame goals are a bad idea. Like people who say they need to lose x lbs by date y. Just because there are so many variables involved, you can easily set yourself up for failure or resort to something unhealthy.

But I think having a number you are aiming for, whether it's lbs lost or gained, number of workouts per week, getting your waistline into the healthy range, number of lbs bench-pressed, or whatever is healthy & motivating.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have both short term and long term goals. I also have other goals that are different, but will help me reach my main goals. My main goal might be to lose 30 pounds, but I aim for 5 pound increments. The secondary goals are things like lifting goals, mileage goals for running, food goals and water intake.
  • heyjasmine
    heyjasmine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have small and big goals, my small goals are like my daily goals-drink more water, or eat healthier/moderately. My big goals are getting stronger and getting leaner and building a healthier lifestyle. I agree that there is no time frame limit on goals however I like keeping these goals on my mind for motivation and mentality to working for them. It keeps me accountable and on track. Everyone is different that's about it. If it works for someone then I can't say otherwise for them.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i admit that i sometimes have goals with dates, but i make the dates realistic based on my own behaviors and build in some room for error. and i have other goals without dates. it works pretty well for me.
  • fochizzy87
    fochizzy87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Viktor Frankl is a psychologist who invented a type of therapy called logotherapy. It is all based around achievable daily goals. He is my favorite. I am all for small goals.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've never set short term goals before now. This time I did and I find it helpful. Long term goal is to be at a normal BMI. Short term is to be under 200 lbs before my next Dr appt on April 14. I weighed in this morning at 200 even so I've amended my goal to be under 200 lbs while fully clothed, lol!
    Next goal will be to build strength and stamina before " busy season" starts at work in June. It is 6-8 weeks of 10 hr days and 7day weeks. That's a lot for a 50 yr old, especially when overweight and out of breath.
    I am SO thankful for MFP and helpful tools I have at my disposal. It makes those goals realistic.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I have mini goals but I believe they are all achievable in the timeframe I gave them. I made a 2 year plan for losing 100 pounds, with my second year having a 1.5-2 pound projected loss per month. And all months have a secondary non-weight goal. If I don't hit my goals on time that's ok, I can still see how far I came from previous months. But if I do hit, then yay I get something on my Amazon list.

Last time I lost a bunch of weight I didn't have end goals and I floundered, then gained it back. I feel having lots of mini goals will help me adjust to maintenance quite nicely.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a number of weight goals split into 'short-term', 'mid-term', and 'long-term' targets. I like lists, OK? None of them are time based; they are all things like 'lose 5lbs', 'get below x weight', 'lose x% of body-weight'. I love ticking them off as I reach them. I've reached all my short-term and mid-term goals and am now working on my long-term targets.