Headaches and cutting calories?

I have a question for everyone out there.......when you first started cutting calories and watching what you eat, did you end up with headaches? If so how can I get mine to go away? I have been suffering horrible headaches the last week or so since cutting my intake and I can not figure out why. I still take in caffeine in the form of coffee so I know it isn't a caffeine headache.........I have not felt this ill in such a long time. I know in the end what I am going through now will be worth it but I am getting to where I can barely function. Please help!

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    May be helpful...may not, but If your cutting carbs drinking some broth can help because it's a highly diuretic diet and you lose sodium along with the water loss. With that said, CICO works better for me than low carb but I've done it before.
  • tkdchick2016
    tkdchick2016 Posts: 38 Member
    The same thing happened to me and I reasoned out that it was sugar withdrawal. If you ate a lot of processed/carb rich and sugary foods before and have now cut your intake you may be in sugar withdrawal. The last time it happened to me it lasted a LONG time. I just took Advil and lived with it till it stopped.
  • fochizzy87
    fochizzy87 Posts: 51 Member
    I always get headaches when I start. Unfortunately the only thing that helps mine is time. After about 1 1/2 weeks they usually subside for me.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Not sure what your intake is currently as opposed to what you were doing but if MFP has you set for 1800 for example and you were used to eating 3000 then take your calories up a few, maybe 2000 for about a week then next week drop down. It just may be too extreme if you are just getting started.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I wanted to see what you are eating but it looks like you're not completing your diary - I assume you ate more than 647 calories on Thursday. However, if Thursday's entry is accurate, not eating enough is why you're having headaches.

Otherwise, please log accurately for a few days and ask again.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    I was thinking similar to sanfromny. Also, make sure you're drinking at least 6-8 cups of water a day. I will get a headache when I forget water. Also, too much water can flush the sodium out of your body, and that can give you a headache, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Did you just start eating the peach oatmeal? Sulfites and artificial flavors give me headaches.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Peaches-Cream-Instant-Oatmeal-10ct/13925192

Ingredients: Whole Grain Rolled Oats (With Oat Bran Sugar, Flavored Fruit Pieces (Dehydrated Apples [Treated With Sodium Sulfite To Promote Color Retention], Artificial Peach Flavor, Citric Acid, Annatto Color), Creaming Agent (Corn Syrup Solids, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [May Contain Soybean Palm And/Or Canola], Whey, Sodium Caseinate, Artificial Color, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Calcium Carbonate (A Source Of Calcium), Salt, Guar Gum, Artificial Flavor, Ferric Phosphate (A Source Of Iron), Niacinamide*, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)*, Riboflavin*, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Mononitrate*, Folic Acid*. *One Of The B Vitamins. Allergy Warning: Contains Milk And Soy. May Contain Traces Of Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts And Wheat.
  • schristopher01
    schristopher01 Posts: 8 Member
    I got headaches when I first changed my diet. It's possible that you've removed sugar from your diet or carbs and as a result you're going through withdrawal. It should subside. Make sure you're plenty hydrated and eating the recommended calories each day.
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    It seems like allergy season has started again, my headaches have been coming back (allergy/sinus related). Lucky me, today is a rainy day which (according to weatherperson on news) means low pollen count which means less head pain. When cold (winter) season comes back sometimes it gets better too.
  • ddk1201
    ddk1201 Posts: 7 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Did you just start eating the peach oatmeal? Sulfites and artificial flavors give me headaches.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Peaches-Cream-Instant-Oatmeal-10ct/13925192

Ingredients: Whole Grain Rolled Oats (With Oat Bran Sugar, Flavored Fruit Pieces (Dehydrated Apples [Treated With Sodium Sulfite To Promote Color Retention], Artificial Peach Flavor, Citric Acid, Annatto Color), Creaming Agent (Corn Syrup Solids, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [May Contain Soybean Palm And/Or Canola], Whey, Sodium Caseinate, Artificial Color, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Calcium Carbonate (A Source Of Calcium), Salt, Guar Gum, Artificial Flavor, Ferric Phosphate (A Source Of Iron), Niacinamide*, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)*, Riboflavin*, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Mononitrate*, Folic Acid*. *One Of The B Vitamins. Allergy Warning: Contains Milk And Soy. May Contain Traces Of Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts And Wheat.

I did and I have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners like equal and such. Maybe this is causing my issue?
  • ddk1201
    It could be a withdraw to sugar as well since I have drastically reduced the amount of sugar I take in.
  • ddk1201
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I wanted to see what you are eating but it looks like you're not completing your diary - I assume you ate more than 647 calories on Thursday. However, if Thursday's entry is accurate, not eating enough is why you're having headaches.

Otherwise, please log accurately for a few days and ask again.

I just started a few days ago and I am not really good at logging my stuff......however I am starting to day where I don't eat it unless it is logged first it helps me stay accountable that way :)