Want to start strength training but have painful lower back

Options
vasilisa9
vasilisa9 Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys, I recently rediscovered My Fitness Pal after joining nearly three years ago and forgetting about it. Since I kicked my drink problem last year I've lost a couple of stone by eating clean and um, just not drinking anymore. However, the more I read and learn on here, the more I want to get fit and strong too, and am just starting to realise that maybe I can even do so eating a lot more calories than I've been restricting myself to!

I've just ordered New Rules of Lifting for Women, and a couple of other books I've heard recommended on here, and joined the gym and had an induction. I feel so excited and am prepared to work hard. However, the one thing that is worrying me is my lower back pain. The person who did my induction at the gym said I probably need to exercise the muscles more to strengthen it, yet said to avoid some exercises so I don't hurt it and to be careful. They didn't seem to have much advice on the matter and said personal trainers weren't available there (but they did do me a very basic plan - cardio and a few machines). Wondering if I will ever be able to lift very much at all.

My main questions are: should I focus mainly on losing the excess weight I still have (am 5ft 2 and 11 stone 5) while doing rehabilitation exercises to help my lower back first? Or can I start a full body routine while I do that? I've also read that some people shed all their weight before starting to build muscle. I'd definitely need more protein than the MFP preset macros suggest for that. Oh it's all a bit confusing at the beginnning isn't it?

If anyone could give me a few pointers or steer me in the direction of some good information resources etc I'd be so grateful :)

Beth

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's your doctor's opinion?
  • vasilisa9
    Options
    My GP said it was lower mechanical back pain a while ago and gave me some exercises to do and told me to go walking and swimming.The exercises are helping a bit, as is sleeping on the firmer mattress in the spare room. I haven't asked him about starting strength training yet, as I work full time and only started considering it recently. I will ask him though, just wondered if anyone here had started with a similar issue and how much of a handicap it had been. I guess it may well depend on the individual though right? Just want to get started and feel frustrated about it as I used to be a gymnast as a child and miss being strong and flexible so much.
  • vasilisa9
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, I must ask him. I'm glad your pain has mostly gone now. Mine came on over the last two years since I started a full-time desk job. There was no sudden injury. Just looking for some hope I guess, but will carry on with the McKenzie exercises and cardio for now.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have lower back pain, do to arthritis. Mine is muscle pain. You have to find what you can do, without irritating your back.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with your physician and maybe even see a physical therapist for an assessment. When you do get started, a consult with a trainer so that you fully understand good form when lifting would be extremely beneficial. As for losing weight before building muscle, you'll benefit from exercise (especially strength training) independent of your body weight. I'd actually get a good fitness routine underway once you're medically cleared and let the weight loss follow or coincide. Losing weight will also help back pain.

I have a chronic lower back disk injury. Probably different from you. I was told o needed surgery 15 years ago. I lost weight and got into shape instead. I'm now a personal trainer. I lift heavy with good form. I don't do plyo or deep back bends. I work with fellow trainers from time to time to spot any issue I may be missing. I also see a physical therapist every few months and do a LOT of yoga. Hopefully yours is just muscular and will be remedied with a good plan. Best of luck!!!
  • vasilisa9
    Options
    Thanks guys. Rubyayn, it is inspiring to know that people can move forward with a fitness routine despite their lower back issues, though I'm beginning to understand that the causes can affect the outcome differently. I will ask my GP for a referral to a physical therapist (or save up to pay for one myself if he says no) and will look for a good trainer near me. Thank you :)