Starting again after a brain injury

Options
So....17 months ago, I had a Traumatic Brain Injury or TBI. After that time, I lost a lot of things like memory, ambition, and some desires, fears, and I lost the thing that kept me working out for years, self-loathing. Without hating my body or thinking it'd be more attractive in some other shape or form, I stopped working out and eating by any diet.

I missed my community but there was nothing I could do to change where I was and I tried. I tried going straight back to CrossFit, doing only lap-swimming, lifting in my home garage, Yoga - all things I'd done before but no matter what I tried, a sustainable rhythm just wasn't there - until it was.

It's been 2 weeks now, I've been checking in on this app everyday as I go to they gym, or take a bike ride or do Yoga but no matter what I do, I've been doing it consistently for 2 weeks. I know 2 weeks is nothing to a lot of people but for me, this is huge! And I'm loving being back which is THE most important part for me. I'm not forcing myself, hoping to develop momentum.

A week into it, I started tracking my food. My coach recommended dialing in my macros and we used the Eat To Perform metrics as a starting point.

So - yeah - I'm doing it. I feel a little silly taking a before picture so I covered my face lol. I'm back!

Replies

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You've made great progress and it sounds like you're getting into good fitness habits again. There seems to be a strong community here, so keep posting your progress, and ask for encouragement whenever you need it. Good luck!
  • MRSLJ1975
    MRSLJ1975 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Congratulations from coming back from such a serious injury and finding your rhythm. I think you could teach a thing or two about determination at this point. Good luck to you
  • mk_harvey
    mk_harvey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for this encouragement! It's good to be here <3
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is great. Even not having a TBI I have struggled to get through 1 week, not to mention 2. You can do this. Great job so far.
  • tdeaux
    tdeaux Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It took a lot of courage to post this! Good for you for trying even when there has appeared to be so many setbacks.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Wow, really puts into perspective some of the "hurdles" the rest of us have. Good on ya. Two weeks is impressive, and I wish you the best of luck.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That is great!

I have mild TBI following a burst aneurysm (two brain surgeries) and a tumor (third surgery.)

It can take a long time to find your new normal and to come up with coping strategies. All that you can do is to keep pushing forward and to keep trying your best.

I am 12 years out from my traumas now, and what is amazing to me is that a lot of things DO get better over time. My experience is that the brain is more plastic that we tend to believe and that we can heal to some degree.