Replies

• Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    How much weight do you realistically have to lose? Are you within a healthy weight range now, or are you overweight?
    I would say I am overweight. Not anything drastic though. Over all goal is to lose 30 lbs and that would put me in the 130s

Then losing 2lbs a week is a smidge ambitious

Would 1.5 lb be achievable? Yes it's only 0.5lb less but could that make a difference?

Why would losing 7 lbs be so bad?
    It wouldn't be, just was hoping to get to 155 for the event. I'd be happy with 7-10 but 155 is burned into my brain lol

Focus on the scales too much and they're guaranteed to *kitten* you over!

Yeah :/ have learned that but it's hard to give up lol!!
    It's a frienemy!

You know what I'd do?

Aim to lose half a stone, buy a gorgeous new dress that's super flattering (and some shapewear underwear if you want) for the wedding, and enjoy yourself!

I like your thinking :)
    But what's half a stone?? (American over here lol)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How much weight do you realistically have to lose? Are you within a healthy weight range now, or are you overweight?
    I would say I am overweight. Not anything drastic though. Over all goal is to lose 30 lbs and that would put me in the 130s

Then losing 2lbs a week is a smidge ambitious

Would 1.5 lb be achievable? Yes it's only 0.5lb less but could that make a difference?

Why would losing 7 lbs be so bad?
    It wouldn't be, just was hoping to get to 155 for the event. I'd be happy with 7-10 but 155 is burned into my brain lol

Focus on the scales too much and they're guaranteed to *kitten* you over!

Yeah :/ have learned that but it's hard to give up lol!!
    It's a frienemy!

You know what I'd do?

Aim to lose half a stone, buy a gorgeous new dress that's super flattering (and some shapewear underwear if you want) for the wedding, and enjoy yourself!

I like your thinking :)
    But what's half a stone?? (American over here lol)

7 lbs!

A stone is 14lbs, so half a stone is 7lbs
  • cushygal48
    cushygal48 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They say a healthy weight lose is 1-2 pounds a week, so yes it would be possible to lose 10 pounds in 7 weeks.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I don't know why everyone is saying its so un-doable. I'm averaging 1.5 lbs a week, and I'm not even trying that hard. 12 lbs in 7 weeks is 1.7 lbs a week. Figure out what kind of deficit you need for that rate of weight loss and give it a shot... the worst that can happen is that you don't quite make it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't know why everyone is saying its so un-doable. I'm averaging 1.5 lbs a week, and I'm not even trying that hard. 12 lbs in 7 weeks is 1.7 lbs a week. Figure out what kind of deficit you need for that rate of weight loss and give it a shot... the worst that can happen is that you don't quite make it.

Because OP only has 30 lbs to lose, so a massive deficit is hard to sustain and not very easy to get the necessary nutrition in so few calories.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Because when someone doesn't have a lot of weight to lose, it's harder to create the caloric deficit needed to lose weight at that rate.

For example, my TDEE is in the neighborhood of 1600 calories a day. To lose a pound a week, I'd need to create a 500 calorie a day deficit, meaning I could eat approximately 1100 calories a day. At a calorie intake that low, it's doubtful that I could meet my nutrition goals for the day.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What is 1% of your current weight? That is the most you should lose per week assuming you don't have a really low BF% (and that you can meet minimum nutrition requirements).

So, if you weigh +160lb, then yes, 10-12lb is realistically healthy over 7 weeks, but will be difficult. I weigh 168lb now and couldn't imagine going back on a ~1800 calorie/day diet (what I started at when I was 220lb and losing 1% of my bodyweight per week). I already paid my time though and I'm just slowly dropping weight at this point.

So, yes, you can do it, and in a healthy manner. Are you the type of person who will stick it out? Only you know that. 1lb/week would be more realistic for the vast majority of people than 1.6lb/week.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 8 lbs in three weeks but I have 50-70ish lbs to lose.
  • CassidyScaglione
    edited March 2016
    Options

Because OP only has 30 lbs to lose, so a massive deficit is hard to sustain and not very easy to get the necessary nutrition in so few calories.

Because when someone doesn't have a lot of weight to lose, it's harder to create the caloric deficit needed to lose weight at that rate.

For example, my TDEE is in the neighborhood of 1600 calories a day. To lose a pound a week, I'd need to create a 500 calorie a day deficit, meaning I could eat approximately 1100 calories a day. At a calorie intake that low, it's doubtful that I could meet my nutrition goals for the day.

I only have slightly more than that (35-40).

12 lbs/ 7 weeks is 1.7 lbs a week... so a deficit of 850. If your TDEE is 1600 you have to be pretty sedentary or pretty short, mine is around 2400, meaning that i could cut 850 calories without even getting close to the 1200 mark that MFP forbids you to cross. I wouldn't necessarily want to keep up that kind of a deficit long term, since I'm okay with losing at a slower rate, but she has a special event in mind, and 7 weeks is a doable time frame, well within the healthy weekly weight loss range.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

These are healthy guide lines to follow. The thing is the smaller you get the less you want to lose a week.

As for TDEE that is a variable that changes with Exercise and weight and muscle mass and height etc.

No one can say "well I do it why can't she?"
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have a wedding to attend in 7 weeks and would like to lose 10-12 lbs before then. Is that a healthy time frame and wt loss?
    Any tips and suggestions on how to get there would also be great!
    I usually do a 30min woekout dvd in the am then do treadmill at night (fast pace walking) for 30-60 min.
    Diet is a struggle but plan on cleaning it up immensely

I lost 15 lbs in just under two months so I say it's possible. I didn't intend on losing that much that quickly but it has just come off quickly so far. I walk on the treadmill 3-4x per week and measure and weigh all my foods, eating mostly one ingredient foods as much as possible. And I also do not have much to lose. I started at 150, currently at 130.
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    I should also add that OP seems to be pretty active, meaning that her TDEE is going to be a lot higher that 1600.

@Katie_Y89 -- I don't have your stats, but your goal seems doable to me. It may not be the most fun 7 weeks of your life, but if you really want to try for 12 lbs, then i think that it is entirely doable. During the last 2-3 weeks before the event, try to aim for around 40% carbs (whole grains), avoid excess sodium (aim for 1500-2000 mg) and stay hydrated and you will either see a water weight loss, or at the very least, avoid water weight gain. You may not make 12 lbs, but there's no reason you can't try for it if its something you want. Afterwards, opt for a more reasonable loss like 1-1.5 lbs a week.
  • SezxyStef
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I should also add that OP seems to be pretty active, meaning that her TDEE is going to be a lot higher that 1600.

@Katie_Y89 -- I don't have your stats, but your goal seems doable to me. It may not be the most fun 7 weeks of your life, but if you really want to try for 12 lbs, then i think that it is entirely doable. During the last 2-3 weeks before the event, try to aim for around 40% carbs (whole grains), avoid excess sodium (aim for 1500-2000 mg) and stay hydrated and you will either see a water weight loss, or at the very least, avoid water weight gain. You may not make 12 lbs, but there's no reason you can't try for it if its something you want. Afterwards, opt for a more reasonable loss like 1-1.5 lbs a week.

@CassidyScaglione do you know what happens when you lose weight too fast?

You lose lean muscle along with fat and water weight.

and if it's done over a period of time lets say a couple months you get thinning hair, nails and it can lead to brittle bones in women...

Nutrition and health are as important as getting the "excess" weight off and suggesting that someone try to do just that is a smh moment for me for sure.

I am an active 43 year old woman who had a TDEE of 2000-2400 (depending on the season) but I wouldn't even dream of trying to lose 2lbs a week or even 1.5lbs a week...

ETA: depending on total amount to lose even 1 to 1.5 may not be the best suggestion.

• CassidyScaglione
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

and if it's done over a period of time lets say a couple months you get thinning hair, nails and it can lead to brittle bones in women...

Nutrition and health are as important as getting the "excess" weight off and suggesting that someone try to do just that is a smh moment for me for sure.

I am an active 43 year old woman who had a TDEE of 2000-2400 (depending on the season) but I wouldn't even dream of trying to lose 2lbs a week or even 1.5lbs a week...

ETA: depending on total amount to lose even 1 to 1.5 may not be the best suggestion.

I'm not advocating she lose weight too fast... 1.7 lbs a week is not too fast. There are people on here eating at 1200 calories because MFP tells them that this is fine and reasonable... and I'm not even doing that. An 850 deficit is not a fun deficit, but there are people on here who are on much higher deficits without being malnutritioned and dying. There are weight loss challenges on here with people aiming to lose 10 lbs a month. This is nothing compared to that.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Stop asking and get started, time is a wasting. If you need/want to lose weight than get focused on that, even if you don't hit your magic number you will be better off then doing nothing at all.
  • nordlead2005
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

These are healthy guide lines to follow. The thing is the smaller you get the less you want to lose a week.

As for TDEE that is a variable that changes with Exercise and weight and muscle mass and height etc.

No one can say "well I do it why can't she?"

A big problem with this scale is that it is completely arbitrary and has no medical/scientific backing that I can find. Only on MFP can I find the suggestion to take over 40 weeks to lose 25lb (average 0.625lb/week). Many people start out with no clue how much weight they want/need to lose. Having an end goal of 200lb when you should really have a goal of 165lb make a huge difference in this scale.

1-2lb is often recommended by medical professionals except by the obese, and 1% as an upper limit pretty much always falls within this guideline and is based on studies showing that 0.5-1% per week is optimal to lose weight and maintain muscle mass.

It may be easier to stick to those deficits at those goal intervals and it may be a healthy rate of loss, but that by no means makes it ideal.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I'm not advocating she lose weight too fast... 1.7 lbs a week is not too fast. There are people on here eating at 1200 calories because MFP tells them that this is fine and reasonable... and I'm not even doing that. An 850 deficit is not a fun deficit, but there are people on here who are on much higher deficits without being malnutritioned and dying. There are weight loss challenges on here with people aiming to lose 10 lbs a month. This is nothing compared to that.

with 30lbs to lose 1lb a week is more than enough and you are advocating 1.7...that is too fast.

Just because others do it in an unhealthy manner doesn't mean I will sit by and let someone advocate it.

The ones with higher deficits are bigger and can sustain the higher deficit. Even when I had 40lbs to lose it was 1lb a week.

And btw trying to lose 8 lbs vs 10 in a month...not a huge difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23076670

Here is a study that speaks to losing LBM from being to aggressive in the weight loss goals and how it can cause weight regain
  • nordlead2005
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Stop asking and get started, time is a wasting. If you need/want to lose weight than get focused on that, even if you don't hit your magic number you will be better off then doing nothing at all.

And this. Which is what I started to add to my previous post, but didn't.
  • MillyMil122
    MillyMil122 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is 100% possible.
  • liddylee
    liddylee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how wadded up we all get about 'weight' when its like THE WORST way to judge fat loss? I mean I totally do it too. I just find our shared human nature a funny thing!