Anyone with sucess doing tabata work outs?

I've been looking to change things up a bit. I've notices a lot of tabata workouts on YouTube. Can anyone shed some light on this type of workout. Pros/Cons or your experiences?

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I will say that while I haven't done it myself, I have some co-workers who LOVE it and have had great results with strengthening. I am going to throw in my comment to learn more too :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Isn't that some kind of nebulizer?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    It's a form of interval training. A pretty efficient way to get an anaerobic workout in. However, it only works if you go hard for each 20-second interval.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Depends on what you mean by Tabata. The true Tabata protocol is pretty hard-core -- multiple intervals of 20 seconds of all-out effort followed by enough recovery for another 20 seconds of full-on effort. Dr. Tabata's original work was 8x of 20 seconds full-on followed by 10 seconds of recovery, but that was with Olympic-caliber athletes (more "normal" athletes will need a lot more than 10 seconds of recovery before they can do another 20 seconds of all-out effort, especially for the last few repeats). The advantage of the protocol is that you can get significant increases in both aerobic and anaerobic capacity in a relatively short period of exercise (with warm-up and cool-down included, under 30 minutes). The disadvantage is that the actual workout, if done correctly, is hellish (and if it isn't , you're probably not going to get most of the benefits). Also, "tabata" (as well as HIIT) has been bastardized to the point that damn near any sort of interval work is described as one or the other.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    I do you tube tabata I'm not an athlete but by the end im fighting to breathe. I.just wanted to change up my routines.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »
    The disadvantage is that the actual workout, if done correctly, is hellish

Yeah, no joke, believe it. I do a buncha HIIT stuff but my rests are always longer than Tabata protocol; I'd die for sure. Dead!
  • mtcoachcate
    mtcoachcate Posts: 1 Member
    Love Tabata! Great way to get a work out in a short period of time. Have to go hard for those 4 minutes though!
  • Slywrightuk
    Slywrightuk Posts: 1 Member
    Anyone know of a good app that can track HIIT/Tabata workouts and then link the calories spent with MFP.
    I want one that can help organise and time the intervals etc during the workout and then update MFP with the exercise
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Anyone know of a good app that can track HIIT/Tabata workouts and then link the calories spent with MFP.
    I want one that can help organise and time the intervals etc during the workout and then update MFP with the exercise

You'll never get an app to accurately track that ever. You would need a chest strap HR monitor to accurately monitor your effort in order to get any sort of reliable figure. The range of variations that an app would try to assign to your workouts would be so wild that it would be pointless. An app has no clue about your effort and output are.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    I sometimes like doing a tabata interval after a heavy weight lifting session just to get my heart rate up. Sometimes I'll do kettlebell swings, rowing (I keep track of metres rowed & try to best my PR), bike, skipping, clapping/plyo push-ups, bodyweight squats/jump squats, lunges/jump lunges, mountain climbers, burpees, thrusters, etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    You would need a chest strap HR monitor to accurately monitor your effort in order to get any sort of reliable figure.

Not for interval training. The best bet is to log it as Circuit Training and enter the time.