Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

New review: RDA protein intake is too low, 1.5-2.2g/kg recommended for everyone.

2»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I don't know, I love meat, but not that much. The old protein recommendations were very low, and now this. Nobody likes the middle ground it seems.

Just want to make sure, you do realize that there is more than meat as a source of protein right. And 1.5kg isn't that much. For a 150lb per, it's roughly 102g of protein. Some studies might even see that as light, especially if you are lean.

The authors appear to think that meat, eggs, and dairy are the preferred sources:
    High-quality animal proteins require far less energy intake to meet essential amino acid needs than lower quality plant proteins.

Not really surprising as many of them are complete sources of proteins, while many plant-based proteins are incomplete. But it's a good observation.

Complete and incomplete are usually a false dichotomy, hence the DIAAS and PDCAAS standards. Almost every source of protein is complete. Rather, some sources require large amounts to meet the limiting amino acid in them. At the levels the author is suggesting for daily intake, I believe few foods would really limit anyone for any amino acid.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    alanatkin9 wrote: »
    i personally think its nonsense, the average person does not need any where near 2g per pound of body weight, and protein powder should be used to a minimum anyway, everybody seems to be over thinking things theses days. high protein and fats is the way to go with carbs if and when you think their needed, thats my opinion anyway...

Have any studies to back up your opinion?

Probably not. Hence the "opinion" part. He's entitled to it just like everyone else.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I don't know, I love meat, but not that much. The old protein recommendations were very low, and now this. Nobody likes the middle ground it seems.

Just want to make sure, you do realize that there is more than meat as a source of protein right. And 1.5kg isn't that much. For a 150lb per, it's roughly 102g of protein. Some studies might even see that as light, especially if you are lean.

Yes, I know there's protein in lots of foods, but I believe I would have to increase my meat intake to increase my protein intake without increasing total calories? I don't fear protein, but I want to just eat the amount I need, and not "too much" meat. Last time I checked/tracked, I ate 1.25 grams of protein per kg of my bodyweight. 70 grams of protein and 70 grams of fat seems to be a sweet spot where I feel healthy and satiated, and it's easy to prepare tasty meals, even if I reduce or increase carbs. (It sounds a bit confused, lol, I'm not good with maths today, but this works for me.)

Assuming all your other macros stay the same, upping your protein will increase you total calories. You'd have to decrease your macros somewhere else to balance out the calorie intake.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    alanatkin9 wrote: »
    i personally think its nonsense, the average person does not need any where near 2g per pound of body weight, and protein powder should be used to a minimum anyway, everybody seems to be over thinking things theses days. high protein and fats is the way to go with carbs if and when you think their needed, thats my opinion anyway...

Have any studies to back up your opinion?

Probably not. Hence the "opinion" part. He's entitled to it just like everyone else.

This is the debate forum.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

Just want to make sure, you do realize that there is more than meat as a source of protein right.

Yep - there's Eggs ;-)
    Acknowledgements
    This manuscript provides a brief synopsis of presentations given by the authors at
    the 2015 Canadian Nutrition Society thematic conference on Advances in Protein
    Nutrition Across the Lifespan. David Ma, PhD, Robert Bertolo, PhD and Valerie
    Johnson, MHSc, RD participated in the conception, writing, review and editing of this
    manuscript. Support for open access publication was provided by the Canadian Pork
    Council, Dairy Farmers of Canada and Egg Farmers of Canada
    Author disclosure statements
    Paul Pencharz and Rajavel Elango declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
    Robert Wolfe has received research grants from Abbott, Baxter and the National
    Cattlemen’s Beef Association
    . He has received honoraria for speaking from the
    National Cattlemen’s Beef Association.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    yarwell wrote: »

Just want to make sure, you do realize that there is more than meat as a source of protein right.

Yep - there's Eggs ;-)
    Acknowledgements
    This manuscript provides a brief synopsis of presentations given by the authors at
    the 2015 Canadian Nutrition Society thematic conference on Advances in Protein
    Nutrition Across the Lifespan. David Ma, PhD, Robert Bertolo, PhD and Valerie
    Johnson, MHSc, RD participated in the conception, writing, review and editing of this
    manuscript. Support for open access publication was provided by the Canadian Pork
    Council, Dairy Farmers of Canada and Egg Farmers of Canada
    Author disclosure statements
    Paul Pencharz and Rajavel Elango declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
    Robert Wolfe has received research grants from Abbott, Baxter and the National
    Cattlemen’s Beef Association
    . He has received honoraria for speaking from the
    National Cattlemen’s Beef Association.

I think Alan Aragon addressed at least in his studies he has never been asked or pointed toward a conclusion from any funded study.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Does this mean the people who've been eating their body weight in protein have been right all along? If I can find decent tasting chocolate protein, I'd easily hit 140 protein a day.

Not to make this another protein recommendation thread, but I think decent tasting is in the eye of the beholder. If Godiva chocolate's taste is something you say is definitively and discernibly worth the premium, I'd venture nothing in the world of protein powder is going to be something you'll call decent.
    I think AnvilHead was quite vociferous for Trutein, but I can't personally vouch.

It's easier for me to fit in a dessert/sweet than "normal" high protein foods like tuna, chicken, Greek yogurt.

But you do realize that Greek yogurt can be easily eaten as a dessert? Get out some honey/sugar/stevia/whatever sweetener, dump in. Add other flavors as you like like chocolate, vanilla, almond, lemon, rum. Add fruit, nuts or dark chocolate. It is one of my favorite things to eat for dessert. I don't think I ever miss a protein macro anymore. It isn't anything 1-2c of non-fat Greek yogurt can't fix for me. It is also cheap and easy to make Greek yogurt yourself.
This discussion has been closed.