Push ups

Options
I have been trying to get to the point where I can do regular push ups. I have been back in the gym for like 1.5 months. I can only manage to do one push up. Sad I know. I do two sets of push ups on my knees when I am done doing my abs/core exercises. Prior to attempting the push ups I do plank on my elbows for 2.5 minutes and side plank for 1 minute. I am unsure of what exercises I can do to help get me to the point where I can do regular push ups.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Are you in a deficit? You'll be a little slow to gain strength while in a deficit... Although you should be able to get to the point of doing some pushups due to CNS gains. I'd try more volume (keep trying to do pushups every other day or so.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do incline pushups. Like this:

incline-pushups.jpg

Use something that isn't going to slide away from you. Your kitchen table might be a good start. As you get better at them, you can use lower surfaces, working your way down to the ground. If you can currently do one regular pushup, I would start the set with that one pushup and then finish it with incline pushups. So if you wanted to do three sets of 8 pushups you would do one regular pushup plus 7 incline pushups for each set.

I'd also do the pushups before the planks.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do incline pushups. Like this:

incline-pushups.jpg

Use something that isn't going to slide away from you. Your kitchen table might be a good start. As you get better at them, you can use lower surfaces, working your way down to the ground. If you can currently do one regular pushup, I would start the set with that one pushup and then finish it with incline pushups. So if you wanted to do three sets of 8 pushups you would do one regular pushup plus 7 incline pushups for each set.

I'd also do the pushups before the planks.

This is pretty spot on- stairs are REALLY useful- because you can walk down the stairs and reduce the angle as you get stronger.

I would mildly disagree with the "something that won't slide away from you" comment- only because you should be able to do push ups on a chair without it sliding- and the way you do this is making sure your shoulders are stacked over your wrists- so the force exerted is directly perpendicular to the surface you're using to do push ups.

if you back away - then yes it'll slide- but you're also changing the angle of the push ups- and you don't do push ups like that- so make sure you're shoulders and wrists are in a line and you aren't driving OUT- but straight down.

Vectors and *kitten*- because math.
    #nerdlove
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am gathering that I could do an incline push up off of a weight bench? I am a little hesitant to try that just because all the weight benches are located where the free weights are. I feel embarrassed. I am really hoping that I can manage to do this soon. I also cannot do any pull ups.

@galgenstrick Yes I am eating at a deficit because I am still trying to lose my last 3 pounds. But I am trying to shift my focus to building strength and toning up. Man it seems so much harder at 36 then it did when I was younger. I feel like I am working my butt off but not getting the desired outcome.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am gathering that I could do an incline push up off of a weight bench? I am a little hesitant to try that just because all the weight benches are located where the free weights are. I feel embarrassed. I am really hoping that I can manage to do this soon. I also cannot do any pull ups.

@galgenstrick Yes I am eating at a deficit because I am still trying to lose my last 3 pounds. But I am trying to shift my focus to building strength and toning up. Man it seems so much harder at 36 then it did when I was younger. I feel like I am working my butt off but not getting the desired outcome.

You can use a chair, if you're embarrassed just do them at home, or just stop caring what others think lol.

Do as many as you can in 3 sets before bed every other day, you'll get there in no time.
  • JoRocka
    Options

why would you be embarrassed that you're trying to improve yourself?

which is what everyone at the gym is doing.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started doing push-ups on the wall (I was really a weenie), then moved to my table, then a chair, and now I'm on the floor doing real push ups! It works great.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You can also use a step aerobics step for uncle me pushups
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    Oh my goodness thank you so much for all the tips. I want to try to do some push ups right now but I am at my practicum. I will have to try some when I get home.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    This is pretty spot on- stairs are REALLY useful- because you can walk down the stairs and reduce the angle as you get stronger.

I would mildly disagree with the "something that won't slide away from you" comment- only because you should be able to do push ups on a chair without it sliding- and the way you do this is making sure your shoulders are stacked over your wrists- so the force exerted is directly perpendicular to the surface you're using to do push ups.

if you back away - then yes it'll slide- but you're also changing the angle of the push ups- and you don't do push ups like that- so make sure you're shoulders and wrists are in a line and you aren't driving OUT- but straight down.

#nerdlove

@JoRocka This just increases my already high respect for you...engineer here so love the #nerdlove
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Oh my goodness thank you so much for all the tips. I want to try to do some push ups right now but I am at my practicum. I will have to try some when I get home.

cool thing about push ups... you can do them anywhere ;)
    McCloud33 wrote: »

#nerdlove

@JoRocka This just increases my already high respect for you...engineer here so love the #nerdlove

@McCloud33 - I'm half *kitten* engineer- ALL THE NERD LOVE!!! (I say half a** because I have a degree in CE- but I never got my PE).
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Agreed, incline pushups are a phenomenal way to get to real ones.

If it makes you feel any better, I once hit my head in HS gym class failing to do a pushup. Incline pushups helped me break past that 13 years later. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I put the bar in the lowest position possible on the squat rack and do pushups from there.
    upload.png

At home, I use the kitchen counter.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    In addition to incline pushups, which is great advice, try the "grease the groove" method. It uses muscle memory and motor learning to increase your total.

since you say you can only do one pushup, try doing 1 pushup every hour. tomorrow, do the same with 2. then 3, etc. if increasing on a particular day is too much, go back to the numbers of the previous day.
    you will be able to do sets of 20 in no time.

good luck!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    A smith machine works really well for training push ups AND pull ups.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options

What does that look like?
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @McCloud33 - I'm half *kitten* engineer- ALL THE NERD LOVE!!! (I say half a** because I have a degree in CE- but I never got my PE).

Not to steal the thread, but I'M A CIVIL TOO! Small world! I've had the convo with coworkers about whether or not someone is a "real" engineer if they haven't gotten their PE LOL My argument was always, "So is someone who got their law degree, but didn't pass the BAR a lawyer?" I'm sure you could pass it if you wanted to ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Not to steal the thread, but I'M A CIVIL TOO! Small world! I've had the convo with coworkers about whether or not someone is a "real" engineer if they haven't gotten their PE LOL My argument was always, "So is someone who got their law degree, but didn't pass the BAR a lawyer?" I'm sure you could pass it if you wanted to ;)

maybe- my title is senior engineer (state worker- titles are a thing) so I get to call myself by title an engineer- but I'm not an idiot I'm not an actual engineer. It's close enough for me right now. One day I'll have the balls to go back and do the work. one day.

What does that look like?

the smith machine? or doing pull ups off the smith machine?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Don't be embarrassed. Incline pushups aren't out of the ordinary for a gym. You can even do them using the bar on a smith machine.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    When I started I could do 1 this is what I did.... Practice planks, tricep dips, lay on your back under a table grab edge bend knees and using abs pull your chest towards table. Dumb bell curls all these help. When doing push ups remember to push through the floor. I can just about manage 10 but slowly you will do it.