Need support 100+ pounds to loose

Options
Hello all today is my first day on this journey. I weighed in this morning at 296.6 which is crazy. I would like to lose 131 pounds, but I want to do it the right way. I have started a 90 day low carb no sugar meal plan today. I'm supposed to only weigh in once a month, what do you all think about that? Do you think it would be better for me to weigh in weekly, bi-weekly of monthly? I have been big all my life but I decided it's time for me to stop being depressed and just get up and do this. I'm looking for friends to encourage me and supple me on this journey. Please feel free o add me so we can talk. Thanks!

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think how often you weigh is up to you. I weigh once a week, just so I will know my progress. Anything more or less would not work for me. I think, especially when you are first starting out you want to see if the program you are on is working or not. I think a month is a long time to weigh starting out. Feel free to add me and I will help as much as I can. Good luck!
  • Piperx222
    Piperx222 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week or bi-weekly. Helps keep me motivated and know if what i'm doing is working or not. I've been keeping my carb count low and trying, TRYING to cut out the sugar (sugar is my weakness LOL). Good luck on your journey, just keep at it and it will happen :)
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great job, kudos to you for deciding to take charge! I usually weigh in 1x per week. sometimes more, lol. going to add you if that's ok? I have lost 100lbs so far. ok i am lying, i have lost 99.6 lbs but close enough
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Hey! I agree with the above posters that weighing more often at first will give you a better sense of your early progress. Anything you can do to keep yourself engaged in the process is good. Any reason for the low carb/sugar diet? Unless you plan on eating that way forever, I wouldn't recommend it. Being overweight is depressing, but so is not being able to eat a cookie or a piece of cheese. I'm one of those "everything in moderation" people, though, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt, and good luck kick-starting your weight loss!
  • Gene81972
    Gene81972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! I also have a lot of weight to lose. Started at 279 and my goal is to get down to 175. I'm 3 weeks in and down 14 pounds.

I think weighing in any more than once a week is dangerous because your weight can fluctuate so much on the daily based on many factors. Every other week is probably ideal but I prefer weekly.

I am also limiting my carb and sugar intake. Some folks think all calories are created equal but recent studies would suggest otherwise. I'll send you a request.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    started at 290 the day after Xmas.... 90 days into this journey and i'm down 45 lbs. no sugar or salt. and cut most of the carbs... do not deny yourself... you must be in it for the long haul or you won't make it... do not cut out everything... just cut down... set your activity level and how much you want to lose and how much you want to lose per week. (2 lbs is the max)... get a digital scale and weigh your food... every single bite... keep with in your daily calorie goals and do not eat back any calories gained from exercise.... Oh and a fitness tracker is very helpful and a great motivator... i have a fitbit charge.... i could barely make it the 10 k recommended daily steps... i'm now topping out at close to 20 per day.. start slow... do what you can and add more each day each week.. do not give up... 100 lbs looks like a big number... its just a number... take it 1 day at a time 1 pound at a time... one meal at a time.... if i can do this anyone can....patience and perseverance... calories in vs. calories out... plain and simple.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    almost forgot... i'd weigh in once a week... once a month is too long to wait to see results.
  • KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    started at 290 the day after Xmas.... 90 days into this journey and i'm down 45 lbs. no sugar or salt. and cut most of the carbs... do not deny yourself... you must be in it for the long haul or you won't make it... do not cut out everything... just cut down... set your activity level and how much you want to lose and how much you want to lose per week. (2 lbs is the max)... get a digital scale and weigh your food... every single bite... keep with in your daily calorie goals and do not eat back any calories gained from exercise.... Oh and a fitness tracker is very helpful and a great motivator... i have a fitbit charge.... i could barely make it the 10 k recommended daily steps... i'm now topping out at close to 20 per day.. start slow... do what you can and add more each day each week.. do not give up... 100 lbs looks like a big number... its just a number... take it 1 day at a time 1 pound at a time... one meal at a time.... if i can do this anyone can....patience and perseverance... calories in vs. calories out... plain and simple.

45 lbs in 90 days?! WOW great job!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to make a change. honestly you don't have to cut anything out of your daily intake. Just watch your levels that MFP gives you and stay within your calorie goals given and you'll lose weight just fine. When you start to deprive yourself of something it could lead to binging so be careful of that.