Myth: Water curbs hunger

Options
13»

Replies

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Part of the problem with having coffee is that it costs me 70 calories for the stuff I put in it, whereas water would be 'free' but wouldn't help anyway! Sometimes I wonder if I should just have a snack for the same amount, but I don't know if it would really work. Depends on the snack, I suppose - if I had something high fat for 70 cals, maybe it would!

(Tea is 'cheap' at ~13 cals for the milk, but doesn't seem to help so much with the afternoon hunger pangs. And I can't have too much of either drink because I don't handle caffeine well.)

That's why I prefer the tea. I don't mind it with splenda and sometimes I'll put one of those little coffee mate things in.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Oatmeal is guaranteed to leave me raving hungry within an hour.I don't get hungry most mornings unless I have oatmeal.

Yes which proves to me that everyone is different, or maybe it's what they are putting in their oatmeal. It's never satisfying to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Oatmeal is guaranteed to leave me raving hungry within an hour.I don't get hungry most mornings unless I have oatmeal.

Yes which proves to me that everyone is different, or maybe it's what they are putting in their oatmeal. It's never satisfying to me.

Yeah... It depends on the type of oatmeal for me too (steel cut will fill me up longer than quick oats) but if I don't add nuts and protein powder it won't fill me up at all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    It does nothing for me either.

The same with apples. They just make me hungrier. :)

this for me so much... if i eat an apple i swear im more hungry then before.

that's how I feel about oatmeal- which is why I generally don't eat it- it just makes me ravenous. BOOOOOO

also- I like coffee to "curb" hunger. it's not really curbing it- but it keeps me from puking from nausea. so win?
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with water. I have to have something other than water to curb the hunger. I was really hungry but knew I be having a high calorie lunch that day so I just opted for a cup of vanilla almond milk (13 grams of sugar, which is too high for me, I started putting a little bit of water in it now, and 80 calories) and it made my hunger pains go away for a while. I had to sit through a 3 hour movie and was hungry towards the end. Also green tea sometimes help me too, with a tablespoon of honey. But that's if I didn't have a lot of carbs that day.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Okay maybe it only applies to me. People always say drink water will curb your appetite. This does NOT work for me. I drink a lot of water but if I need to eat it does not help me whatsoever. And I drink A LOT of it.

Sometimes hunger is confused with dehydration and drinking water helps in that case. But if you are hungry due to lack of eating drinking water is not going to change that.

Applies to me too. When I drink water when I'm hungry it just feels sloshy and nauseates me. I can drink tea, coffe, juice or soda and that may help but only for a few minutes.

I can't just eat vegetables when I am really hungry either, they just make me feel hollow and hungrier.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The only thing that curbs actual hunger is food...or, you know, supplements you probably shouldn't be taking.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I agree too. It really irks me when I say that I'm hungry and people ask me if I drink enough... I'll never understand how people can mix up hunger and thirst either.. one is in my mouth, the other in my stomach...

I agree, especially while I'm at work... That being said I do understand confusing them.

But for me it's when I'm also BORED and thirsty. Like if I watch TV on the weekend. I haven't opened my mouth since I'm not talking... so it's not dry. That's when hunger (not "omg I'm so hungry I could puke" hunger, but just general hunger) and thirst can be confusing for me. But I also know I don't drink enough water on weekends. So I try that first and then if the hunger didn't go away I know it's hunger.

I also experience a craving for something sweet when I'm thirsty sometimes. This is supposedly a common thing. And when I think of something sweet, I don't think of juice or water. I think of fruit and chocolate.

But it certainly wouldn't be "confusable" all the time. Like right now. I'm thirsty! Oh boy am I.
    And if I'm really hungry and drink a bunch of water it just makes it feel awful.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    Okay maybe it only applies to me. People always say drink water will curb your appetite. This does NOT work for me. I drink a lot of water but if I need to eat it does not help me whatsoever. And I drink A LOT of it.

Sometimes hunger is confused with dehydration and drinking water helps in that case. But if you are hungry due to lack of eating drinking water is not going to change that.

Applies to me too. When I drink water when I'm hungry it just feels sloshy and nauseates me. I can drink tea, coffe, juice or soda and that may help but only for a few minutes.

I can't just eat vegetables when I am really hungry either, they just make me feel hollow and hungrier.

This is me - sloshy and nauseated if I try to curb hunger with water! I have never understood how someone could confuse hunger and thirst. In my body they are two distinctly different signals.

I have to eat my vegetables first when they are part of a meal. If I eat my main dish and then follow it with a salad, I swear it's like the salad neutralized whatever else I ate. Suddenly, I'm starving!

I also have the hunger issue with oatmeal. I love it, but it just does nothing for me. Oatmeal for breakfast is just begging for a day of nonstop eating.