Pizza Party tomorrow - oh no!

Options
So at my office for each persons birthday we have a pizza party.

There is one tomorrow - one next Tuesday - and one April 22nd (my party) - three this month. Pizza is like crack for me - I can tell myself no a million times or try to have one slice but then up eating half a pizza and feeling horrible the next day. To make it worse I am the person in charge of ordering all this pizza and picking it up - oh those wonderful pizza photos on the website.

I was thinking about excusing myself from the party so I am not around it at all and can not fail. But that might be rude. Plus as my wife says I at sometime have to learn to avoid it myself.

I was also thinking about trying to maybe order Pizza Huts thin crust pizza for myself or something? No one else will eat it. Or maybe get myself a pan pizza for myself but that would be akward.

My wife suggested just eating salad or something while everyone else chows down but I don't like feeling out of place....that might make me feel weird and then I will have to get questions about why and what I am doing.

Stupid pizza parties. I know it sounds silly to even be worried about it at all. Just have one slice right - easier said that done!!!!

Replies

• KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! This weekend we ordered pizza for friends and I got a chef salad - by the end of the night, not only had I eaten my chef salad but FOUR pieces of pizza too. I have an easier time with lunch then I do with dinner though so I think I'd be able to eat 2 slices for lunch and be OK. Could you try to limit it and then just have a smaller dinner? Maybe you could also bring in a veggie tray to have with the pizza, that way you can fill up on those along with your slice or 2. I know these suggestions are easier said than done but if you want to make long term changes you'll need to find some way to incorporate the devil (in this case, pizza) into your life. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't blame the pizza.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Order a thin crust and if no one else eats it then whatever.

Also, if you're in charge of the ordering do you have the option of suggesting that each birthday party has a different food rather than them ALL be pizza? Particularly with so many close together. However, I'm guessing pizza is the easiest thing to order for a bunch of people.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So at my office for each persons birthday we have a pizza party.

There is one tomorrow - one next Tuesday - and one April 22nd (my party) - three this month. Pizza is like crack for me - I can tell myself no a million times or try to have one slice but then up eating half a pizza and feeling horrible the next day. To make it worse I am the person in charge of ordering all this pizza and picking it up - oh those wonderful pizza photos on the website.

I was thinking about excusing myself from the party so I am not around it at all and can not fail. But that might be rude. Plus as my wife says I at sometime have to learn to avoid it myself.

I was also thinking about trying to maybe order Pizza Huts thin crust pizza for myself or something? No one else will eat it. Or maybe get myself a pan pizza for myself but that would be akward.

My wife suggested just eating salad or something while everyone else chows down but I don't like feeling out of place....that might make me feel weird and then I will have to get questions about why and what I am doing.

Stupid pizza parties. I know it sounds silly to even be worried about it at all. Just have one slice right - easier said that done!!!!

It can be stressful but it sounds like you have some good thoughts already. I definitely wouldn't excuse yourself from the parties unless you really just feel you can't control yourself. These type of events are going to continue to happen...

How big is your office? How many pizzas do you normally order, and what types? Pizza has a lot of different levels of calorie density - like you said, the thin crust ones are definitely going to save you some calories, as would those with veggie toppings instead of meat.

Are you sure that others wouldn't also be interested in salads? Not sure where you are ordering from (is it definitely Pizza Hut or were you thinking of just doing that for yourself?) but if there are family sized salads you could maybe order a few of those and tell people that you're watching your weight and you thought others might like to have some options besides pizza too. I don't think anyone would look at you strangely if you had a salad and one or two pieces of pizza, that seems pretty normal for me for our food days at work.

Pizza can fit into a calorie deficit, but it does take work and if you are used to eating half a pizza, or have difficulty stopping at a slice or two it may be more challenging.

If you do end up overindulging, try to make some cuts later in the day or later in the week and make sure to drink plenty of water to avoid water weight gain.

Good luck!
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's a pizza party. My office does these monthly, today was tacos. And I had one, with queso, and logged it. I knew in advance it was coming so I went on a longer run this AM, as well as did a 20 minute walk after the party was done.

I don't know how big your office is, but if I skipped one of these lunches it would be noticed, and honestly it doesn't look good. Are you going to run away everytime you are faced with temptation? "Can't go to my kid's birthday party because there is cake and cake is a big temptation"

Have a slice and don't walk back. Drink water between bites, don't wolf it down. Yes, one slice is easier said and done but it is a huge test in self-awareness. If you are more comfortable, have a salad. Nobody is going to notice! One of my co-workers gave up grains, beans, and other stuff (a co-worker in my office is a big fan of pushing weird diets), and nobody noticed today that she didn't have tortillas or rice. You are overthinking this.

Either way you can't avoid office pizza parties for the rest of your career--weight loss is not easy and there will be temptations on every corner. You can't keep running from them, sometimes you have to face them heads on, and while it will be a mental struggle, it feels great to realize that you did not give into temptation and handled a pizza party/taco party/etc.

"Don't let the fear of striking out take you away from the game"
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Figure out exactly where you're ordering from, use their online nutrition calculator, make a plan, log it and stick to it.

I just had a large veggie pizza (don't like meat on pizza) in my Papa John's cart. 50% off Mondays on large pizza. Two slices would be 540 calories. Acceptable. BUT I live alone and two slices four days in a row may be too much temptation. I can see myself going back for a third or even a fourth later in the day. I emptied my cart and left the site, lol. Maybe some Monday but not this Monday.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    A plate of veggies and dip as well as one thin crust pizza and you will be fine. I have a pizza in the oven right now.

The veggie are easier than a salad-no forks needed. You can do this!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    We have quarterly lunches where I work. I strategize a bit for every one.

Pizza lunches: I bring a salad and then choose a slice of cheese or vegetarian pizza. If you feel awkward eating salad in front of others, eat that before the lunch starts.

I'm known for eating veggies (now). Even when I cook my cauliflower in a steam bag, people don't say anything.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Bank calories earlier in the week to save up and spend on pizza!

When I have office days like these, I'll keep my other meals light for the day. It all balances out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Two slices isn't that hard to fit in. Just order it plain or with veggies.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can order Salads from Pizza Hut too. Check calorie content before you put the food in your mouth. Then decide if it's worth it. I'm on a gluten free diet after suffering from migraines for years, and when my children get Pizza, I get a gluten free pizza for me with ham, olives, and mushrooms. (Domino's though) It gets me through cravings, and I'll work the calories into my day. Know what you can have, plan around it, and bring in a side salad to fill you up first.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would either get a personal pan or just avoid the party. I think that work cultures that require (even if only by social contract) you to eat what everybody else is eating are silly so I just don't do it. My office orders out every so often and if I want what they're having, I have it, if I don't, I don't. Once in a great while somebody will say something or will laugh at what I do order (they once ordered from a pasta place and I ordered meatballs and a salad, which was funny to them) but there's never really any rude intent on their part and I have a good sense of humor and tend to laugh too.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    Figure out exactly where you're ordering from, use their online nutrition calculator, make a plan, log it and stick to it.

I just had a large veggie pizza (don't like meat on pizza) in my Papa John's cart. 50% off Mondays on large pizza. Two slices would be 540 calories. Acceptable. BUT I live alone and two slices four days in a row may be too much temptation. I can see myself going back for a third or even a fourth later in the day. I emptied my cart and left the site, lol. Maybe some Monday but not this Monday.

I freeze mine. Lol.

OP--- could you order a personal pizza? Dominos (and probably others) let you choose lighter amounts of cheese, sauce, toppings, and a thin crust, which takes down the calories considerably. Eat your pizza and no one else's, and maybe he a lighter breakfast or dinner to help.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Who is in charge of the menu? That is a LOT of pizza. And that is a lot of pizza to expect people to eat. I agree with the poster who suggested salad. And a vegetable tray. I would bet that MANY people would appreciate a little healthy fare -- either as an option to the pizza, or as an addition to the pizza.

I cannot imagine that people would truly be hurt if you dipped out of these every other time - or most of the time. Were I in your shoes, I would stop by Jane Doe's desk or office, and simply say "Hey, I won't be at the pizza party today, but I wanted to say Happy Birthday!" End of story. One of my favorite quotes or sayings is something along the lines of "Freedom is saying no without excuses." You do not owe anybody explanations for not eating pizza or for not attending a pizza party. In my opinion.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Also, since it sounds like you're the party planning committee, can you send out an anonymous email survey and see if your coworkers would like to mix it up for one or two of the immediately upcoming events? We use Survey Monkey for this kind of stuff all the time.

Maybe sandwich rings, Panera, tacos (Qdoba/Chipotle catering), Chinese, breakfast foods, pot-luck, or something else for one of the birthdays? Balance out a pizza day with a turkey & vegetable sandwich or soup/salad for the next party.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Order a thin crust vegetarian pizza with light cheese. You can enjoy a couple of slices and add the calories into your day and not feel left out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Also, if one of those is your party, why can't you just pick something else? A lot of deli/sandwiches places cater too.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Also, if one of those is your party, why can't you just pick something else? A lot of deli/sandwiches places cater too.

I agree with the above. I am sure there are a lot of other people in your office that would like something lighter for lunch too. Especially with having so many parties so close together. But with anything you order, you have to practice moderation and fit it in your daily goal. I love pizza and we have it often. However, I like to save my pizza parties for a Friday night with my family (and a few cold beers to go with it).
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think you could be surprised at how many might appreciate thin crust!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Can you eat freely and make adjustment the days after? Are there big meals every single days for you?

That's what I would do. I don't like to think much about dieting in such situations, besides it's free calories!!! It kills all the joys. I don't wanna develop other problems! :)