Could "healthy fats" be an oxymoron for me?

Options
glow_worm_eyes
glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Ok so I've been experimenting with the hclf diet for about a week now. Cravings are gone and I've lost about five pounds. I was so excited about my results...until I had my blood work done today. For one I am hypothyroid so I have a yearly blood panel for thyroid levels and cholesterol. Here were my results:
(Side note: my diet consisted of nuts, avocados, eggs, fish, and evoo along with no starchy veggies- nothing fried or processed.)

Thyroid levels are the same- meds do not need to be changed.
My cholesterol is high...like 230. *the bad cholesterol and good 80.
My potassium is high. I have to have it rechecked next week.

I was feeling so happy and positive. I felt like I was doing everything right. My hunger was gone by eating healthy fats and I felt like I had finally figured it out. Then this....could "healthy fat" just be an oxymoron for me?

Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This was after only a week? You may need to give it more time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    That didn't happen in a week. Are you over-weight?
  • glow_worm_eyes
    Options
    I'm about 15 pounds over weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you exercising every day? Did you doctor say you needed to worry? 230 in and of itself is not alarming.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    Options
    I exercise a lot. I try to get on my treadmill every day and it's not uncommon for me to get 15-20,000 steps on my Fitbit per day.

I just want to continue to eat lchf. It's just scary to think that it could be unsafe...but all the recent studies give it five gold stars. Am I really that much of a special snowflake?
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you've only been eating like this for a week I highly doubt that's where your blood levels come from. I would talk to my doctor what his advice is, maybe keep eating low carb for a couple of months and recheck or whatever he/she thinks. But I don't think it is necessarily causally related.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I lost the weight my cholesterol still kept going up. I got it down by cutting out essentially all animal fats. It took about 3-4 weeks for the change to show up in the test results. I thought I ate pretty healthily before, but I guess we're all different. My LDL cholesterol dropped from 202 to 115.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Google: How to lower cholesterol levels.
    I like to eat a whole foods, plant based diet.
    Your doctor's office can also give you advise.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "Could "healthy fats" be an oxymoron for me?"

No.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    To add - you leave out a lot of pertinent information like - what was it last year? Was it a fasting test? Was the TOTAL cholesterol 230? The good cholesterol 80? Aka the HDL? What was the LDL? And yes one week is not enough to really change anything in your blood work.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    Options
    Fasting. Bad cholesterol 230 good 80
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    One week has not changed anything. You need to discuss with your dr what to do. It might be possible to control it with diet, it might not. Cholesterol issues are common with hypothyroidism and might not always be controlled with lifestyle changes. Is your thyroid well under control? Your T4 levels can affect your cholesterol.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    High Carb, Low Fat??? Is that what you meant???? If so, that would be bad.....