Homemade Plenti "Oatmeal meets greek yogurt" ideas?

mathandcats
mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
I'm quite a fan of the Yoplait Plenti oatmeal meets greek yogurt:

kkxeoz0sfeaj.jpg

They're kind of expensive for the serving size, though - and a little too small to satisfy me as breakfast on their own. It's essentially just overnight oats made with mostly yogurt rather than adding milk and/or chia seeds.

So far I've only tried mixing with a Chobani blackberry greek yogurt. I added 40g rolled oats and left it overnight. It came out very solid (should probably try less oats), but I stirred in some almond milk the next morning and it was quite tasty. It's definitely on track to make something like the Yoplait Plenti, so I want to experiment with other flavours! Post here if you've made something similar with success. My favourite is the maple and brown sugar, so I'll be experimenting trying to replicate that. I also want to try making an apple pie flavour, but not quite sure what to try for that.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Google "overnight oats", you'll find tons of ideas!
  • mathandcats
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm not after overnight oats exactly - the texture of this is much different because it's made with yogurt only instead of adding milk and possibly chia seeds. I imagine this would affect sweetness too, as greek yogurt has a tartness that milk doesn't. So I'm specifically wondering if anyone has made something like this and has success with what proportions to use and such.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2016
    I made something similar for this morning... One container of Oikos Triple Zero, 40g of steel cut oats, 2 tbsp of milk, and I added some strawberries too.. It was very similar! The whole thing ended up 300 calories, 20g of protein, 10g of fiber.. I was full for a long time but I haven't been very hungry lately so it probably doesn't mean much...

I'm guessing you could just use plain yogurt and your own fruit though (I used about 1/4 cup worth). Or use a 'fruit on the bottom' kind of yogurt and don't add fruit.

ETA: actually read your post and you did about the same thing, lol!

For apple pie I'd use plain yogurt, 2 tbsp of milk, 40g of apples, and cinnamon/nutmeg. Might try that next... Guessing it would need some sweetener though.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    edited March 2016
    I actually make protein "Zoats" (aka oats with shredded zucchini and protein powder). It sounds really weird but the zucchini makes the oatmeal so much more voluminous, so it ends up being a giant bowl of oatmeal. I switch up protein powder and the mix ins, but this was my most recent one.

9eykceczq3oc.png
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm not after overnight oats exactly - the texture of this is much different because it's made with yogurt only instead of adding milk and possibly chia seeds. I imagine this would affect sweetness too, as greek yogurt has a tartness that milk doesn't. So I'm specifically wondering if anyone has made something like this and has success with what proportions to use and such.

If you use greek yogurt and no liquid, it's going to come out super thick, since the oats soak up moisture. You could try using regular yogurt which starts out looser and see if that works. I have no idea how they make the commercially packaged version, maybe the oats are cooked first? You could also try using frozen fruit that will give off some moisture as it thaws out. But in my experience, you have to add some liquid to the greek yogurt or it ends up a pretty solid clump.

I don't use chia seeds, just 1/3 cup greek yogurt, a couple tablespoons of milk, a touch of vanilla extract, and frozen fruit. Sometimes I'll stir in some protein powder for flavor.
  • mathandcats
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I made something similar for this morning... One container of Oikos Triple Zero, 40g of steel cut oats, 2 tbsp of milk, and I added some strawberries too.. It was very similar! The whole thing ended up 300 calories, 20g of protein, 10g of fiber.. I was full for a long time but I haven't been very hungry lately so it probably doesn't mean much...

I'm guessing you could just use plain yogurt and your own fruit though (I used about 1/4 cup worth). Or use a 'fruit on the bottom' kind of yogurt and don't add fruit.

For apple pie I'd use plain yogurt, 2 tbsp of milk, 40g of apples, and cinnamon/nutmeg. Might try that next... Guessing it would need some sweetener though.

When you use steel cut oats, do you find the texture is similar to the Plenti? Rolled oats are getting a bit softer than I'd like. I've never tried making any kind of overnight oats with steel cut, since the recipes always warn about how much chewing is required, but I think I might actually prefer that! I normally eat steel cut oats, and only have rolled oats for baking.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 wrote: »

When you use steel cut oats, do you find the texture is similar to the Plenti? Rolled oats are getting a bit softer than I'd like. I've never tried making any kind of overnight oats with steel cut, since the recipes always warn about how much chewing is required, but I think I might actually prefer that! I normally eat steel cut oats, and only have rolled oats for baking.

Yes it's a more similar texture than Plenti. I had it this morning again, thinking that the ratio of oats vs yogurt is lower with Plenti though... so maybe go down to 30g of oats or something.
  • Francl27
    edited March 2016
    Bump - I did it with one container of Oikos triple zero, 2 tbsp of milk, and 33g of steel cut oats. It was spot on.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    I warm up the oatmeal (precooked), then put the yogurt on the side. Nice warm and cold contrast. Plus maple syrup!
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    MichelleLei1 - is this mixture cooked up in a pan or microwaved to cook the egg whites? Is the protein powder mixed in after cooking? Details please! I like oats mixtures, warm or cold :)
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    @Gemini61454 I normally start off by cooking the oats and grated zucchini together on the stove top (you could microwave it, but I think the texture's better this way). Once it's almost cooked, I'll add in the egg white. The trick for adding in the egg white is to keep stirring to avoid it turning into scrambled eggs. Then I'll remove it from the heat and add chia seeds and the greek yogurt. Once it cools down a bit, I'll add in the protein powder. If you add in the protein powder while it's super hot, the protein powder will actually start to cook and get clumpy. You could eat it while hot, but I like eating it cold the next day. By then the mixture (because of the chia seeds), gets nice and thick. It's slightly weird, but super filling. I'll usually make a large batch and have that ready to go for breakfast for the rest of the week.
  • dragthewaters1991
    dragthewaters1991 Posts: 45 Member
    I have this type of thing sometimes, and I'm actually having a variation on it for breakfast tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm planning to have 1/2 cup of quick oats, 1 individual Chobani coconut Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4 tsp powdered vanilla bean, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. I'm also having a protein smoothie which is why I'm not adding any fruit or anything.

A good add-in, if you're using plain yogurt and not adding any fruit or anything else sweet, is blackstrap molasses -- it has 20% DV of iron and tastes kind of maple-y. Hemp seeds are also a good alternative to chia seeds.