Is this healthy??

Options
So I've been trying to eat healthier lately...do you guys think this sounds healthy to help me with my goals???

breakfast:
eggs (maybe)
yogurt
granola
fruit (strawberries or banana)

lunch:
rice cake
peanut butter
cinnamon on top
almonds/cashews

dinner:
lettuce
veggies
balsamic vinaigrette dressing
chicken

snacks:
string cheese
cliff bar
peaches

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me!
    Just my personal opinion but I would add a veggie on the side to the lunch like baby carrots, cucumber slices, celery sticks or pepper slices.
  • shmem_96
    shmem_96 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What are your goals?

Just to live a healthier lifestyle!
  • shmem_96
    Options
    Sounds good to me!
    Just my personal opinion but I would add a veggie on the side to the lunch like baby carrots, cucumber slices, celery sticks or pepper slices.

yummy that sounds good..thanks for the tip!
  • wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How much of all those foods is the question...those are are all "healthy" I suppose
  • dmack073082
    dmack073082 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know what kind of yogurt and granola you're eating.
  • shmem_96
    Options
    I'm curious to know what kind of yogurt and granola you're eating.
    I eat Boston cream pie and just regular granola!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The mix is pretty close but depends on portions and I'm guessing you need more fiber. Don't eat the exact same thing every day though. It can be difficult to get all the micros you need that way (iron in particular unless you're supplementing and that's probably a wise move).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I find posts like this curious. Are you going to eat this every single day for the foreseeable? I don't think I ever eat the exact same thing for more than a couple of days at a time aside from breakfast.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Add more veggies.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Whether this is healthier than you have been eating before, depends on what you have been eating before. Is this just a sample day? Do you log your food and hit your calorie goal?

I hate randomly fixed menu plans. But I love structure. Variety is the spice of life. No foods are forbidden, no single foods are better than others. I suggest you start to think in categories. (I love to think in categories, lol.) And add some more vegetables, and reserve snacky foods like bars and granola for special occasions (backup food, and Saturdays, respectively, for instance). I would construct a meal plan like this:

Breakfast:
    Porridge or oatmeal with milk or plain yogurt, topped with fruit.
    Saturdays (replace with) granola, Sundays (add) eggs.
    Some raw vegetables

Lunch:
    Two slices of whole grain bread with natural peanut butter or other spread.
    A glass of milk
    A piece of fruit
    Some raw vegetables

Dinner:
    Meat or fish or beans
    Grains or starchy vegetable
    Cooked/steamed vegetables or salad w/dressing (full fat - portion control)

Snacks:
    Cheese
    Fruit
    Nuts
    Some raw vegetables

This should be flexible enough so you can fill it with anything you want, but also structured enough so you get in everything you need every day. You still have to adjust portions to your needs. Maybe you don't like some of my suggestions. So I really think you can and should make a real meal plan yourself.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure your foods? I think what you eat sounds normal but I would mix it up a bit and add different things. I wouldn't last an hour after the lunch you posted that you eat but that's just me. I'd have to have at least a veggie or bread with that meal. I snack on nuts almost every day as well.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    There's no way to say without knowing total calories and macros.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can still gain weight from everything you've posted. Quantity is the big determinater. I still eat everything I ate when I was fat, just less often and in small portions. I would make your lunch more substantial, and mix up the protein sources. Fish and beans help me do that. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's no way I'd stick to a plan that makes me eat the same thing every day... Just nope!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    For one day, sure. If you plan to eat that every single day, no, as it will over time lead to nutritional deficiencies. Instead eat a range of different foods with a focus on nutritional dense foods (veggies) while reaching a reasonable calorie goal. That is healthy.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The yogurt may be loaded with sugar and Clif bars tend to be very high calorie. If you're weighing, measuring and checking labels, there is probably not a huge issue with this diet. I agree with previous posters about mixing it up a little with the fruits and veggies.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It sounds like something that will get boring and is very restrictive which is unsustainable. Sometimes people who do restrictive meal plans like this start binging cycles. That doesn't seem very healthy to me.
    There is a world of food out there with lots of nutrients and flavors. I would take your normal diet and just start adding to it. Reduce portions of higher calorie foods or low nutrient foods and increase things like protein, vegetables, and whole grains. Try cooking more. You'll probably find it easier to stick to a varied menu and do things like socialize, go to restaurants, or travel.

I do eat some of the same foods pretty often but not the same exact menu every single day.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Don't restrain yourself to just those things unless you're going to participate in a body building competition. Have a broader variety, then you won't get bored of eating the same things