new mom/Lack of motivation to complete home workouts

Options
I am a first time mom, my son is going to be 1 next month. Before I had him I had an MMA class twice a week and weight trained at the gym 3/4 times a week and loved it and I also run about 2/3 times a week . I still go to my MMA class once a week and run with him with my great jogging stroller ( b.o.b gear, highly recommend it) but I'm missing the gym. I use to call it my second home. When I first had him I would bring him to the gym and he would just sleep or play in his infant car seat but now that he is 11 months there is no way. When my husband is home from working on the road i'll sneak away after he goes to bed but then when my husbands gone (sometimes for months) I can't get there. I know I need to improve what I have for weights at home, but I do have some. But what I lack is motivation to weight train at home, help.

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I don't train at home. I can't. I get too distracted by the piles of laundry.

Does your gym have child care? Many do. Just make sure to confirm the qualifications of the provider.

Do you have a friend that maybe you could trade off child care with? You watch the kids so she can go to the gym (or whatever), and you two switch off? Or perhaps you could just hire a sitter for a couple of hours once or twice a week. Your health and wellbeing is worth spending some money on.
  • JessieMae31
    JessieMae31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had day care! I would be in heaven, but we having nothing like that in northern NH. But i have been thinking about a sitter for a couple hours so I could go... so that's not a horrible idea. When He gets a little older I might try to bring him there again but until then.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get a sitter. If there is no daycare, a gym will not be a safe place for him anyway, not now and not in a few years. So, if you enjoyed the gym and miss it, find someone to babysit.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I work out while my 1 year old is napping. I turn on a tv show for my 3 year old and use my laptop with fitness blender videos on YouTube. I bought a set of adjustable weights. It works for me but I don't care for the gym anyway. I don't know how to help you feel motivated, you just have to find what works for you!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Does it seem like their is a need for childcare at your gym? If you found some members (and maybe some non members who'd join if there were child care) you can always approach management and see if they could do a trial (maybe 2 hrs a day during the week).

Do you have a YMCA? They often have childcare. We have childcare at all but the cheapest gyms here (aka 24 hr unmanned gyms). You pay a bit more in membership fees but it's worth it for 2 hrs a day of included childcare.
  • JessieMae31
    Options
    Does it seem like their is a need for childcare at your gym? If you found some members (and maybe some non members who'd join if there were child care) you can always approach management and see if they could do a trial (maybe 2 hrs a day during the week).

Do you have a YMCA? They often have childcare. We have childcare at all but the cheapest gyms here (aka 24 hr unmanned gyms). You pay a bit more in membership fees but it's worth it for 2 hrs a day of included childcare.

I bet if I asked around there would be more moms that would go if there was a daycare. Other then that there's just little gyms up here in northern nh. Think the Closest ymca is like three hours away lol. That's why I would be able to take him when he's bigger. Some might not agree but if he wants to tag along when he's older I'll let him the gym I go to is small enough to that he will always be in my sight
  • LKArgh
    Options

I bet if I asked around there would be more moms that would go if there was a daycare. Other then that there's just little gyms up here in northern nh. Think the Closest ymca is like three hours away lol. That's why I would be able to take him when he's bigger. Some might not agree but if he wants to tag along when he's older I'll let him the gym I go to is small enough to that he will always be in my sight

What happens when you are squatting and you see him approach you to show you his new toy? Or when you are on the bench and he gets his figner jammed in some machine? A gym is not a place for young kids. Unless you do not plan to get back to they gym until he is 10 or so?
  • JessieMae31
    Options
    that's all your personal opinion, it my child it brought up around the gym and taught a health life stileand starts doing so young, then so be it, there are plenty of parents that do so, and i know i'm not the only one. this discussion is about getting motivated at home so why keep discussing my child being at the gym I don't know why
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    that's all your personal opinion, it my child it brought up around the gym and taught a health life stileand starts doing so young, then so be it, there are plenty of parents that do so, and i know i'm not the only one. this discussion is about getting motivated at home so why keep discussing my child being at the gym I don't know why

kids do not belong on the floor.

I'd report your a** so fast to management it'd make your head spin.

Keep your childspawn to yourself- not on the gym floor.

I don't care how safe you think it is- I don't want to have to manage myself around kids. It's not my job- that's yours to manage them.
  • JessieMae31
    Options
    sure you wouldn't like the fact the my family is hunters and my son problem will be taught how to shoot his rifle by the age of five. and probably already had shot his first deer. if you don't have an answer to getting motivated at home then i don't see why you are in the conversation
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's on your time in your own space.
    Bringing kids to the gym is a huge giant no no if they don't have a day care.
  • JessieMae31
    Options
    I'm done discuss my child being at the gym, i don't agree with you and wont but that's not what this discussion is about. i have asked for advice on working out at home and if you don't have advice for that you don't need to comment
  • LKArgh
    Options
    sure you wouldn't like the fact the my family is hunters and my son problem will be taught how to shoot his rifle by the age of five. and probably already had shot his first deer. if you don't have an answer to getting motivated at home then i don't see why you are in the conversation

Endangering your kid when you are not around others is a choice between you, the child's father and possibly the authorities. No one can stop you if you are determined to risk your child's wellbeing in private. A gym is a public place. It is not my job or anyone else's job to babysit, to modify our workouts to be preschooler-friendly or to witness a young child being exposed to serious risks. And the average gym owner will probably not be thrilled thinking about the risks either. So, your chances of being reported are pretty high.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Get a baby sitter
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I suggest sharing services with a friend. Get a friend to come over 3 times a week to workout with you. It will keep you motivated to workout and keep a clean house. :smiley:
  • JessieMae31
    Options
    I'm just going to put it out there that if my son is five and wants to go with me he will me the third generation in my family to go to this exact gym with his parents. I live In the sticks of nh and the gym probably could fit in a planet fitness locker room. I know the owner personally and pretty much everyone in here. Your acting like we're going to go In there and he's going to have the run of the place 1. if my son can understand he can't touch unless under supervision he's not going. 2. If he start to run around then we're leaving. Etc. and if he doesn't want to go then he doesn't hate too. 3. If he wants to learn young I'll by him kid weights and teach him the ways. End of store. I'm not the first person to bring up the child in the environment and won't be the last.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I don't train at home. I can't. I get too distracted by the piles of laundry.

Does your gym have child care? Many do. Just make sure to confirm the qualifications of the provider.

Do you have a friend that maybe you could trade off child care with? You watch the kids so she can go to the gym (or whatever), and you two switch off? Or perhaps you could just hire a sitter for a couple of hours once or twice a week. Your health and wellbeing is worth spending some money on.

I get distracted at home as well.

@JessieMae31 since your gym does not have childcare, what about a babysitter or exchanging babysitting with a friend?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to put it out there that if my son is five and wants to go with me he will me the third generation in my family to go to this exact gym with his parents. I live In the sticks of nh and the gym probably could fit in a planet fitness locker room. I know the owner personally and pretty much everyone in here. Your acting like we're going to go In there and he's going to have the run of the place 1. if my son can understand he can't touch unless under supervision he's not going. 2. If he start to run around then we're leaving. Etc. and if he doesn't want to go then he doesn't hate too. 3. If he wants to learn young I'll by him kid weights and teach him the ways. End of store. I'm not the first person to bring up the child in the environment and won't be the last.

Many of us live in bigger towns so don't expect us to understand this scenario. This wouldn't work where i live.
    Now back to your topic you either force yourself to work out at home or you find a way to get to the gym
  • JessieMae31
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

kids do not belong on the floor.

I'd report your a** so fast to management it'd make your head spin.

Keep your childspawn to yourself- not on the gym floor.

I don't care how safe you think it is- I don't want to have to manage myself around kids. It's not my job- that's yours to manage them.

Clearly your just commenting without readying everything. Like I have said before I know the owner personally. So have fun reporting me to "management." Ignorant. This is not a damn planter fitness. It's a small little one room gym, that the owner has made/welded all he equipment himself. In a small post-mill town, small population. I'm not going to bring my kid to a chain or large gym and let him run around like he owns the place. Also like I said before when he's older and i bring him and he acts up I'm we would leave. I have been to the exact gym with my father as a kid and other gym goers bring there's.

What discuss me about all of this is the "Community" is suppose to be about support, helping one another and we have people like you that ruin what the community is suppose to be about. The his whole discussion was suppose to be about tips and ideas for working out at home and what other moms do, But with closed minded people like you take that away
  • jenhitt
    jenhitt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I workout at home to DVDs while my kid naps, and have since she was 1. It's not the same as going to the gym, for sure, but it's easier for me to have someone else put the workout together and I just press play. My favorite instructor for weightlifting is Cathe.

Good luck!