Getting too obsessed with not losing weight

Options
hi everyone. im getting to become a little concerned. all i think about is losing weight and yet i have yet to lose more than 10 pounds in 2 years. i get depressed all the time and think of myself as a failure. im always trying different diets thinking that i have problems when in reality i think its the lack of discipline. I've been falling way behind in school (junior in college) because all i ever care about is losing weight. help. anyone gone through this weight loss obsession turned depressiion that can help?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you think you need to lose? What is your height and current weight?
  • sammy_c_read
    sammy_c_read Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    about 30 pounds. im 165 and 5'7. I've been stuck in the 160's for about a year now.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to change habits. I've been overweight/obese for ... OMG! ... around 25-30 years now. I'm only day 4 back into counting calories, and I have no reason to believe I'll succeed this time, but I know for sure that I haven't failed if I haven't given up. It's pretty simple to keep track of the calories if you have a food scale and measuring cups plus measuring spoons. I keep a piece of scrap paper and pen in the kitchen next to my food scale and write things down until I get a chance to come here and log everything. Take away your excuses and just do it; that's what I tell myself.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You are just barely outside the healthy range of MFP's BMI chart. Since an accurate BMI is a very individual thing - you could be at your "best weight". Don't obsess, eat healthy, if you lose a few pounds great, if not that's okay too.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Focus on your school work, for starters. While you're pursuing that, use MFP to log and understand your use of food. Once you understand what you're doing, for instance with sugary drinks and white bread, you can figure out better ways to get good nutrition at a lower level of calorie intake, lower than your maintenance level. That ought to be easily done, but I understand that you may have to learn to avoid the many triggers of bad feeding habits which are present in your life at school.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    [quote="scjamieson644;10361181im always trying different diets [/quote]

Stop with the fad diets. They're not sustainable as you've found out. Eat the foods you like, log them, eat at a deficit. Get your act together in school - you'll regret flunking out of school a lot more than not losing the weight as fast as you'd like.
  • chachut
    chachut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been facing the same problem too right now. T_T its difficult. But I guess its just a matter of discipline and determination. And having looooong patience too. We'll do this because we can! (:
  • justjennnnn
    justjennnnn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and was 168lbs when I started MFP. I got down to my goal weight of 130lbs in about 18 months. It is possible!!! Hang in there.
  • sammy_c_read
    sammy_c_read Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what kind of eating patterns did you follow?
    I am the same height and was 168lbs when I started MFP. I got down to my goal weight of 130lbs in about 18 months. It is possible!!! Hang in there.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    hi everyone. im getting to become a little concerned. all i think about is losing weight and yet i have yet to lose more than 10 pounds in 2 years. i get depressed all the time and think of myself as a failure. im always trying different diets thinking that i have problems when in reality i think its the lack of discipline. I've been falling way behind in school (junior in college) because all i ever care about is losing weight. help. anyone gone through this weight loss obsession turned depressiion that can help?

It took me about 12 months to go from your current BMI to just above your goal BMI (losing 1 lb would put me there).

No "diet" plan. Only rule was to stay within my weekly calorie allowance. I was set to 1 lb per week for most of it.
    Took a bit of a break in Jan. Not saying I didn't log, but I logged really poorly. Ended up causing my trend weight to go up 1 lb. Used Feb to get it back down and I'm now working on losing a few more (while contemplating on recomp).

Good luck.
    My 3 best tools have been MFP, a food scale, and my Fitbit.