!@#$% shin splints - how to recover?

Options
Well, I must have overdone it with the running because now I have a shin splint in my left leg. This is highly disappointing because I was having so much fun with the running and trying to improve my distances.

My question is, what's the best way to recover from shin splints? Obviously lay off the running for a while, but will I be able to do other cardio like walking or elliptical while it rests? Are there any good stretches I can do for the shins? Also, how to prevent shin splints in the future?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I suffered from shin splints last year.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/4-exercises-to-prevent-shin-splints

Rest will help so much, but I would say yes to cardio on the elliptical and spin. Walking can also cause shin splints, but I suppose if you don't feel pain while doing it than go ahead. See the link that I sent you, my favourites are the toe curl and heel drop. I have also adding jump rope to my exercise routine as it will strengthen your calves. I would wait on adding jump rope until your pain is gone. Also, strech!!!!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-stretches-to-combat-shin-splints.html

I hope this helps!!
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw it out there to put ice on it- felt great when I had them :)
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot that @skbrodie!! Yes Ice for sure!!!!!! You can also roll the outer part of your calves, if you don't have a foam roller use a rolling pin like I did!!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I had someone once tell me that sin splints are because the muscle covering the shin is too weak for the work you're doing. Maybe try more lower leg exercises like calf raises
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    All great stuff. Thanks everyone!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Rest & ice for sure. Also, when you do return to running, have someone video your form. You may be leaning forward too much or bending at the waist, your stride may be too long. Go to the runners world website and see if there's a video on proper form. Also, shoes? Are they old/worn out?
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Cross training with cycling really helped me. In addition, proper shoes and not over striding (that's the big one).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Back in my school track-sprinting days, I used to get shin splints bad enough I can still recall the agony two decades later... *shivers*

Ice for immediate help, especially if you can place your legs in a large bucket full of ice water rather than just putting ice cubes in a bag.

Doing lower-leg exercises to increase muscle strength is key to prevention, but calf raises are exactly the opposite of what you need. The muscles you want to target are on the FRONT of the leg, where calf raises improve the BACK of the leg and only serve to increase the strength difference front-to-back. The two exercises which helped me the most way back upon a time (and which I still do from time to time to this day):

1. Seated toe raises - while seated and no weight placed on your feet, try to raise your big toe as if trying to have it reach back and touch your shin. This exercise can be done while lying down, but it works better with feet flat on the floor to prevent the rest of the foot/heel from actually moving. In effect, you are using the ground as a weight to resist movement.

2. Toes-up-walking - while standing, raise your toes up so your entire weight is on the heels of your feet, then walk for 100 yards. Walk normally for 100 yards, then repeat twice more. Awkward as all get out, but it works.

Of equal importance is making sure your shoes are proper running shoes. My first day on the track team I thought high-rise basketball shoes would be adequate. Boy, little did I know, much did I learn that day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for some good running shoes. The right shoes paired with the right exercises (mentioned above) will help a lot. Also, make sure you are not doing too much too soon.