Hungrier during that time of the month?

Options
ive noticed it seems I'm more hungry during my period. What about other ladies? I'm not a big sweets person , but I also crave sugar and sweets really bad too. Any tips on how to keep these cravings at bay?

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep. I usually just account for needing to add quite a bit of dark chocolate (I'm a ghiradelli girl) the first few days. Doing so usually takes care of the cravings for me. I don't even try to fight it. I just fit it into to my calories for the day or I do maintenance cals for those first 2 days and move on afterwards.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    There should probably just be a pinned post about this one. I've seen it so many times now.

Yes, it's a thing.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    There should probably just be a pinned post about this one. I've seen it so many times now.

Yes, it's a thing.

Agreed! I feel like a new topic pops up weekly.

But OP to answer your question, it's normal to feel hungrier during your TOM. I personally am hungrier while ovulating and the week before my period. I either will eat 100-200 calories more or if it's really bad, I'll eat at maintenance. This helps me take care of my body's needs while also keeping myself from gaining actual weight and not just TOM or ovulation water weight.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Yep, I get hungrier as well. I try not to get too stressed about it because I know it will pass once I get my period.
  • ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes about 5 days before I get my period my appetite goes up. I just try and stay below maintenance. I also noticed that once I get my period all my cravings are gone and I can eat a little below my goal, so for the month it all evens out.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I make "milkshakes" with a frozen banana, unsweetened almond milk, PB2, and a squirt of chocolate milk flavoring. It satisfies my pb and chocolate cravings.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This is the worst. I Think we all can agree that willpower is a major hurdle to losing weight, and when your body is screaming at you to eat more food, it's so hard to stick to a diet.

I get the worst PMS hunger. I could literally eat all day non stop if I let myself. It's always a struggle :(
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yes and its annoying since I'm still in losing mode, but I will eat more most times in a healthy way but not always if I didnt prepare for it, upped my protein intake this morning hoping it will help with this ravenous feeling. :*
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yep, it's super annoying. My cycle isn't regular at all, so it sneaks up on me.
    "Why am I so hungry? And crying over puppies?! ...oh..."

I try to just go with the flow (so to speak), have a snack, and don't stress about it too much. I figure it's all a part of the weight-loss-isn't-linear deal if I have less of a deficit or eat at maintenance for a few days. All I can really do is try not to overdo it and completely wipe out my weekly progress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ive noticed it seems I'm more hungry during my period. What about other ladies? I'm not a big sweets person , but I also crave sugar and sweets really bad too. Any tips on how to keep these cravings at bay?

Just eating at maintenance when my hunger goes up premenstrually keeps cravings at bay for me.

I used to think I was craving ice cream, but I just needed more food.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    This time around, I can even tell you when ovulation occurs. Same weight gain and cravings every two weeks instead of four!

Oft times cravings are due to nutrient imbalances as well, what you are craving may be able to point in that direction with a bit of research. But sometimes cravings are just habits, so it really is trial and error.