Mexico in September

sillygoose1977
sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
edited September 28 in Chit-Chat
I am planning a trip to Mexico in September which is the rainy season. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone at that time and how bad it is. The rates for that time of year are hard to resist.

Replies

• jenleigh215
    jenleigh215 Posts: 3 Member
    I went to Puerto Vallarta on my honeymoon in Sept 2004 and it was gorgeous! It rained like I've never seen before on the first afternoon/night that we were there; after that, it was perfectly temped and sunny for the rest of the 10 days we were there. And, as a side bonus, because of the threat of rainy season the resort was much less packed than during their peak vacation season.
    Enjoy!!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I've been in Guatemala in August...not quite Mex. But...I did notice that in Guatemala it would rain almost every afternoon. I noticed that if it started raining by like 1...it'd end and you'd be fine to go out without being rained on. If it started first at like 4...then you might get stuck in the rain.

I live in FL now...and our "rainy" season gets rain popping up almost everyday in the afternoon from the humidity (granted we're in a drought now). But...usually passes pretty quickly.

I say take your trip! I LOVEEEE Mexico! Lived there for 7 months :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    My family lived in Oaxaca one year and I loved the rainy season--every afternoon (which is when it rained) there was a perfect rainbow over the valley. Perfect. Que tengas un buen viaje!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Where in Mexico do you plan to go. It all depends where :)
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    We did a cruise for our honeymoon in September 8 years ago. We did have some rain, but as others said, it was usually in the afternoon and for a short time. Just make that your siesta time!
    Enjoy!
  • sillygoose1977
    Where in Mexico do you plan to go. It all depends where :)

I am looking at either Puerto Vallarta (my favorite place in the world) or Playa del Carmen. I've been to both places and love them in different ways. In PV we could stay at a much nicer resort for the same price as a lesser resort on Playacar.

And I don't mind rain, I just don't want it to pour all day every day.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    I am sure you should only get a small amount of rain and it will go away quickly! I wouldn't pass a good offer!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    I would do PUERTO VALLARTA! I would stay right on the strip!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    It is still fun, and still HOT. Go for it!
  • sillygoose1977
    I would do PUERTO VALLARTA! I would stay right on the strip!

The ocean is nicer in Playa, though.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    it will be similar to the weather in San Diego...I live in California, but the weather has been so odd lately, I can't say.....but it usually gets colder in October. have fun :smile:
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Just out of curiosity but you have heard about all the stuff that is happening down there right? Why the H3!! would ANYONE wanna go to Mexico....been there, seen it, don't plan on going back. But good luck to ya. Not trying to rain on your parade. Hope ya have fun.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Just out of curiosity but you have heard about all the stuff that is happening down there right? Why the H3!! would ANYONE wanna go to Mexico....been there, seen it, don't plan on going back. But good luck to ya. Not trying to rain on your parade. Hope ya have fun.

Yeah...that's true...I forgot all about that. Maybe Playa would be a little safer :) Didn't they find like 10 decapitated bodies in Puerto Vallarta awhile back? (ok....I don't think I spelled that right, but oh well :)
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Yeah...they're finding like mass graves all over the place, tourists get kidnapped all the time because they know their family's back home will send them money to be released....This past spring break they even warned the kids not to go there for their vacations because the cartels were starting to target the tourist areas. I won't go back...no way.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Yeah...they're finding like mass graves all over the place, tourists get kidnapped all the time because they know their family's back home will send them money to be released....This past spring break they even warned the kids not to go there for their vacations because the cartels were starting to target the tourist areas. I won't go back...no way.

I agree. This is a good point which needs to be brought up. I recommend staying in the tourist areas, don't go off on your own, don't go out at night...stay in the resort if that is where you are.

I personally loved going to Mexico. I speak Spanish, so I always get free food and gifts. :drinker: Be very cautious though.
  • sillygoose1977
    I never heard that stuff about Puerto Vallarta. I'll check into it. I have always been warned about going to Mexico but I don't ever let it stop me. I am a pretty smart traveler.

Edited to add that we have chosen Playa. The beaches are much nicer.
This discussion has been closed.