bike seat suggestions

Options
I have a question that I've been meaning to ask for some time-

i LOVE riding my bike (and normally go around 20 miles when i do) but I cannot for the life of my find a seat that doesn't just KILL me after about 20 minutes of riding, though i've only looked once or twice. I usually ride for 80-90 minutes and can definitely deal with the pain if i stand up every 5-10 minutes or so, but i know there is probably a better solution.

Any suggestions on a seat or cover? I have a gel tech seat cover, but it doesn't really help (maybe because i've had it for YEARS, like.. at least 5). i'm a guy and the pain is more in the front than the back. do i need a wider seat or is this something i'll just have to get used to over time? some days, it's much more unbearable than others, but it always hurts to some degree.

thanks in advance!

Replies

• mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    Have you tried dropping into a really good bike shop and asking them for advice?
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    Have you tried dropping into a really good bike shop and asking them for advice?
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I would go with a smaller bike seat, like the one there : http://www.bikebutler.com/store/planet-bike-mens-a-r-s-anatomic-relief-bicycle-saddle/

It may seem ridiculous, but I have something similar and I ride up to 50K a week with it and I feel no pain, it puts less pressure on your pelvic area.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd go into your local bike shop and ask them. Happy balls are healthy balls!!
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just got a new padded bike seat last summer, but that thing kills my butt just as much as the one the bike originally came with. I'm going to make a pillow that attaches to the seat. It might look ridiculous, but at least my butt will be happy. lol
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Go to a bike shop that can measure your sit bones. Once it is determined where your bones hit, they can get you a nice comfy seat.

Additionally, get you a GOOD pair of cycling shorts/bibs. Gore makes awesome shorts and bibs with a fantastic pad. Oddly enough, the store brand up at Performance Bike also has top notch pads.

A seat with a slit in the middle will get rid of some of the pressure and contact points as well.

Toss in a little chamois cream and youll be good to go!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'd go into your local bike shop and ask them. Happy balls are healthy balls!!

Love it!!! And Agree so much!! Keep the boys happy!

Just be careful when getting a new seat a wider seat doesn't always mean a better ride. I went too wide, and it just didn't work, it interferes with your peddaling
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, congratulations on an amazing, life affirming accomplishment. I'm curious,,, how did you lose so much? Fantastic. I have a tenth grade son who plays oboe. Amazing stuff.

So - on bike seat. I am reading ride your way lean ... And they don't put q lot of emphasis on the seat. They say that the two bones in your butt are all that really solidly connect with the seat... So much of the special seats are kind of wasted.

However... The post above is a great one. I find that bike shops are great sources of information... The people there are generally into bikes... And knowledgable. Check them out.

Also - what kind of bike are you riding?

Patrick
  • bigjilm
    bigjilm Posts: 6
    Options
    Bike seats are tricky. Some people like something super narrow, while others can't stand them and need something wider.

If I recall correctly, you want one that's just wide enough at the back to support your "sit" bones. Covers and gel seats are only good for casual riding, and cause more trouble than you'd expect.

I would suggest finding a real bike store and getting them to help you. Don't waste your time with generic sports stores - go right to the pros and spend $75 on a seat that you'll use for the rest of your life.

Once you find the perfect seat, you'll have some soreness on your sit bones for a few rides, but it'll improve very quickly. Any bad pressure on any other parts probably means it doesn't fit you right.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Just say NO to padded seats. The more contact area you have, the worse off you're going to be. Smaller, firmer, slit up the middle, quality shorts, chamois cream. I ride over 100 miles a week, and regularly participate in 100-mile rides (getting married at the starting line of the MS150 this year!). Seriously, I can ride my bike 100 miles and still walk after the ride, and get up and do it all over again for another hundred miles the second day of the event, with nothing more than a little tenderness.

Here's the seat I have on all my bikes:

Terry-ButterflyTi.gif

I've got that one on my singles. My fiance rides the men's version on his singles. We both rock the breast cancer version on the tandem and neither of us have any issues with pain or numbness.

Good luck!
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    Hey man---
    First of all, get yourself a good quality chamois and some chamois cream (DZ Nuts or Assos is the best imo) Having a good chamois will help a lot with the issues you are having. Don't go cheap on this, it's worth it to lay down some money and buy something comfortable. There are a lot of manufacturers out there, I like Pearl Izumi, Specialized and Descente. Performance Bike Online (google it) has some great deals.

As for your saddle, the Selle Italia SLR is fantastic but dude it is all about personal preference. A good bike shop will let you try different saddles until you find one that suits you. Make sure you bring your bike in and ask them to do a proper bike fit, this will eliminate a lot of your problems as well. One thing for sure though, don't buy a padded saddle, you'll just end up chafing the living **** out of yourself. Good luck.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Hey man---
    First of all, get yourself a good quality chamois and some chamois cream (DZ Nuts or Assos is the best imo) Having a good chamois will help a lot with the issues you are having. Don't go cheap on this, it's worth it to lay down some money and buy something comfortable. There are a lot of manufacturers out there, I like Pearl Izumi, Specialized and Descente. Performance Bike Online (google it) has some great deals.

As for your saddle, the Selle Italia SLR is fantastic but dude it is all about personal preference. A good bike shop will let you try different saddles until you find one that suits you. Make sure you bring your bike in and ask them to do a proper bike fit, this will eliminate a lot of your problems as well. One thing for sure though, don't buy a padded saddle, you'll just end up chafing the living **** out of yourself. Good luck.

Great advice i have a Selle Italia and a specialized Toupe SL saddle on my road bike and the other on my moutain both specialized. Padded saddle will give you blisters and you will look funny walking for a while lol 20miles isnt that far you will be sore the first ride or 2 after that it will go away. Good luck
  • jamiellen1
    Options
    i just bought on2 on amazon.com for $15 its just a pair of butt cheeks! its supports your sit bones and thats it..its great! my butt and crotch dont hurt after 10 minutes any more! its made by schwinn called the no-stress bike seat
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Go to a bike shop that can measure your sit bones. Once it is determined where your bones hit, they can get you a nice comfy seat.

Additionally, get you a GOOD pair of cycling shorts/bibs. Gore makes awesome shorts and bibs with a fantastic pad. Oddly enough, the store brand up at Performance Bike also has top notch pads.

A seat with a slit in the middle will get rid of some of the pressure and contact points as well.

Toss in a little chamois cream and youll be good to go!

Great advise. Everything I was going to say.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    thanks all!