What has MENTALLY changed in you ?

Options

Replies

• Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    One word. Confidence. A year ago if someone had offered me a pill that would make me invisible when out in public, I would have taken it. Now I want to be seen.

I've only been on this journey for barely a year yet the changes I've gone through have been amazing. From getting off diabetes meds to dropping from size 40 pants to size 32.
  • Scrappincarla
    Scrappincarla Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    I've managed to reset how I feel about portions. I used to feel that I was depriving myself if I didn't have a serving of pasta more than twice as big as a normal one. Now I look at the proper serving size as an appropriate amount - which makes me hopeful that when I'm ready to maintain I'll be able to without too much trouble!

My sentiments exactly! Well said.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant! Love all of the responses. For me I am now thinking everyday, what would I be doing, feeling, thinking if I lived how I looked and felt today? I am doing exactly what I believe I will be doing when I get to a healthier weight. I have battled eating disorders for most of my life. When I was severely anorexic and dangerously low weight, I still hid, isolated (bec I needed to lose a little more.) eventually I began struggling w bingeing (which is what I'm coming out of now.) my weight whether lower than heathy or higher has always reflected how unhappy I was. I'm doing what I can to enjoy myself and be my own best friend. I absolutely believe my weight will eventually get to where it should be, just bec I'm treating myself w kindness. I'm now measuring my life in numbers- but different ones. How many hugs have I given today, how many kisses did my kids give me, how many times have I laughed...
  • Scrappincarla
    Scrappincarla Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    This is brilliant! Love all of the responses. For me I am now thinking everyday, what would I be doing, feeling, thinking if I lived how I looked and felt today? I am doing exactly what I believe I will be doing when I get to a healthier weight. I have battled eating disorders for most of my life. When I was severely anorexic and dangerously low weight, I still hid, isolated (bec I needed to lose a little more.) eventually I began struggling w bingeing (which is what I'm coming out of now.) my weight whether lower than heathy or higher has always reflected how unhappy I was. I'm doing what I can to enjoy myself and be my own best friend. I absolutely believe my weight will eventually get to where it should be, just bec I'm treating myself w kindness. I'm now measuring my life in numbers- but different ones. How many hugs have I given today, how many kisses did my kids give me, how many times have I laughed...

Thats wonderful. Keep it up. Hugs!
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am loving all the responses!! For me, I was a binge eater. I would skip meals, sometimes for days at a time and eat a whole bunch of crap when I was really emotional. I've learned how to manage my eating and I know what my triggers are, how long the urges to eat last and what to do instead of going into the kitchen. I've also turned off (for the most part) that negative voice in the back of my head. I just push through and keep going. Being patient with myself and taking this a day at a time. I don't worry about what is going to happen to me tomorrow, I just worry about what is going on today.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I went from "ugh I have to work out" to " I can't wait to work out today! Maybe I'll do extra!"
    And
    "I have to eat because it's _______ time."
    To
    "I'm not hungry so I'm not going to eat anything."
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    wonna13 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    I have embraced a couple of great quotes.

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's unbecoming everything that isn't you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

So I try not to be so perfect in everything that I do. Hey, reality happens when you are busy making plans!
    I think there is PERFECTION in IMPERFECTION. My scars tell my story, and what an epic saga it is. I am proud of my journey in this. It's also something I shall never END. To forage in the kitchen and find a meal that is satisfying, and healthy, makes me feel powerful.

The most important ingredient in food preparation is my MOOD!

So I love the chopping, the gathering, the saute'ing and layering flavors in a pan. It's all about patience, and letting flavors marry in the pan. My Betty Crocker Momma didn't teach me that, I DID.

Wow, That is the most profound statement I heard so far on myfitnesspal. I am writing that down. That you for sharing that.

Thanks for your comment. Part of this journey is to Say What I Mean, and Mean What I Say. All part of my strive toward a more honest life.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Before I would just eat anything without thinking about it at all. If I craved something, I would eat it. Now it's a conscious choice. I think about how many calories is that. What are the nutrients. How can this fit into my day. Mentally I will try my hardest to not go over my calories. Just a whole change in the thought process when I eat now.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    For me right now, I'm beginning to think of "hunger" as just another feeling, like anger, tiredness, joy, loneliness, etc. Feelings aren't fact, and they're fleeting. Just as I'm tired at work right now, I'm not going to sleep on my keyboard. Just as anger set in during a traffic jam, I'm not going to go on a murder spree. And so when hunger comes, I don't have to devour anything in sight. It will pass. And I'm getting plenty of calories a day so I ain't gonna waste away and die :)
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have established more discipline in my life..in all areas, not just fitness. I am more dedicated to the things that matter and less worried about the things that don't. I've also learned to take things/disappointments in stride..and patience..I have far more patience now.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I care about myself again. Months ago, I wore whatever would cover me up best. I didn't care what it looked like. Now, I'm buying myself clothes that I want to wear to look nice. I'm wearing make up again and doing things that I stopped when I stopped caring.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    In the past I've lost for vanity...and there's nothing wrong in that. Then I had health setback after setback and thought 'well I'm just going to have to learn to love myself fat'...then I had a very recent cardiac scare I've been assured is related to my medication over weight. I've decided I'm going to love myself whatever my weight, but my motivation for losing (14lbs so far) is health related. That's been the biggest shift. It's truly health. Yes I'm excited seeing the number go down, yes I have a dress I'd love to wear this Summer. I'd mostly like though to have less pain.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress, but a lot of things have changed for me so far. I dealt with disordered eating for the majority of my teenage and young adult life, and when it came to weight loss, I wanted to lose as much weight as I could, as quickly as possible. I didn't care about health, nutrition, or being kind to my body. I was afraid of food, and the numbers going down on the scale was most important to me.

Now, I enjoy food. I don't beat myself up if I go over my calories for a day. I eat healthy food and feel better because of it. I'm not afraid of my weight going up because of water weight or whatever. I'm not in a rush anymore, I'm more concerned with doing it the right way, and the healthy way. I actually want to GAIN muscle eventually, something I never would have even considered before. I care more about being strong, and healthy, and having a capable body that I am proud of moreso than I care about just being 'thin'.

Honestly, I don't think I would have made this much mental progress if it weren't for MFP and learning about things on here. And seeing real success stories from real people, and real support from people who care about your goal and want you to reach it.

That got way more feely than I meant it to lol but I haven't really thought about the mental progress before.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I have embraced a couple of great quotes.

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's unbecoming everything that isn't you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

So I try not to be so perfect in everything that I do. Hey, reality happens when you are busy making plans!
    I think there is PERFECTION in IMPERFECTION. My scars tell my story, and what an epic saga it is. I am proud of my journey in this. It's also something I shall never END. To forage in the kitchen and find a meal that is satisfying, and healthy, makes me feel powerful.

The most important ingredient in food preparation is my MOOD!

So I love the chopping, the gathering, the saute'ing and layering flavors in a pan. It's all about patience, and letting flavors marry in the pan. My Betty Crocker Momma didn't teach me that, I DID.

I love this! inspiring first quote :)
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I finally understand CICO...I get it now.
    I now have plan B meals in place to avoid any unseen setbacks when going to a friends place.
    I no longer am offended with jealous remarks.
    I no longer see this as weight loss but a gain in health lifestyle.
    I am finally happy with "Me"
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have a better relationship with food. Before I looked at food as "bad" or "good" and I was a bad person for wanting cookies instead of vegetables. All this added to my BED. Now, food is just food sometimes I eat cookies and sometimes I eat vegetables without guilt.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have finally understood for the first time that there is no magic bullet for weight loss. I grew up with a mom who was very "health conscious", which I have found has had both positive and negative effects on my relationship with food. She instilled a love for a balanced diet in me, but also communicated that some foods are good and some are bad, which led to all sorts of negative feelings about myself for eating "bad" foods.

I now know that no one food is bad, but that too much of any food is going to result in weight gain, be it "healthy" or not. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that diets - low-carb, low-fat, high-protein, one food, raw, vegan, whatever - only work because they result in a caloric deficit.
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    lisaisso wrote: »
    For me right now, I'm beginning to think of "hunger" as just another feeling, like anger, tiredness, joy, loneliness, etc. Feelings aren't fact, and they're fleeting. Just as I'm tired at work right now, I'm not going to sleep on my keyboard. Just as anger set in during a traffic jam, I'm not going to go on a murder spree. And so when hunger comes, I don't have to devour anything in sight. It will pass. And I'm getting plenty of calories a day so I ain't gonna waste away and die :)

That is true and funny. Thanks for sharing
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I definitely stand up for myself more than I used to. I'm less afraid to be seen or to speak up, less likely to take nonsense from people, less likely to allow myself to be treated badly.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm so much happier and positive now. I don't allow negative thoughts to stay in my mind and I don't engage in negative situations. I now tend to have higher standards for everything because I know I can do basically anything :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!