Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Steak Calorie Accuracy

So here in Australia there's a specific steak brand that has no nutritional values written on the packaging. It's a 4-pack (0.810kg ÷ 4) and the only information posted on here that seems to be closest to being accurate is 490 calories. It's "Beef Scotch Fillet Steak" which is essentially Ribeye steak. After searching for nutritional values online, a 200g grilled Ribeye Steak is 582 calories. Could I round it up to 600 calories for certainty and log it? Would that seem accurate?

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Scotch and Ribeyes are the same, so weigh each steak and use that weight and this link

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/7397?manu=&fgcd=
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    You can't use "200g grilled steak" entry for 200g raw meat. The steak loses moisture as you cook it, so you will be overestimating your calories.

Google tells me that what we call eye fillet in Aus is tenderloin in the US, so I'd suggest you search for "beef tenderlion raw" in the MFP database.
    Even then the calories for 100g vary from 100 cals to over 300, so I'd probably use the one called "Claytons - Beef Tenderloin, Raw (Per Usda)" as it's somewhere in the middle at 183 cals/100g.
    Note that when you see it in the database it shows the cals for 4oz (bizarre measurements they use over there!), but if you select it you can choose to enter 200 servings of 1g.
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2016
    Or you can use the link I listed for Australian Rib-eye steak - raw and change the amount already in grams

and NO, a Scotch/Rib-eye is not even close to being the same cut of meat
  • alexreyn13
    alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
    Ok so i used the website and changed it for a 200g serving and shows 434kcals. Do you think that's accurate?

I'd much rather overestimate my servings rather than underestimate, at least that way I'll be safe knowing I didn't go over my daily calorie count.
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2016
    probsably as accurate as you're going to get since the amount of fat in each steak will vary. If you are only eating the lean meat, there is a seperate entry for that.