Need to drink more water - any tips?

Options
Struggling with not drinking enough water per day even though I always have a glass nearby- any thoughts/tips? I'd say I normally drink 4 glasses a day and I would like to double that!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle that I keep with me all the time. I can drink and drive!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Yes. I drink lots and lots and lots of flavored sparkling water (no sweeteners added). LaCroix (Passion Fruit) is my favorite, but I also love the Dasani sparkling waters (which are also less expensive than LaCroix).
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Have you tried flavoring your water? I like lemon in my water. But you can use just about any produce (lime, strawberry, cucumbers, mint, ect). I've heard some people like to use a straw. For some reason it makes them drink more.
  • elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am working on the same thing. I just started measuring out what I need to drink every morning (fills 4 water bottles) and then I work on it over the day.... only day two -- yesterday I met my goal (2500 mls) and only 800 mls to go for today (sigh!!)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Make it into tea.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit to have a full glass of water before you eat breakfast/lunch/dinner.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yea tea! I make a pot of Kava at night with stevia and a splash of almond milk and drink the entire thing.

Also, I use a large blender bottle cup for my water. I see it more as a supplement that way. What could be better than something free that scientifically helps weight loss!

A magic trick: drink an enormous glass of water and then eat oatmeal, drink another big glass and super full for a long time!

These are my new ideas since I only recently began to drink more water. It's still a chore tho.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Get an app that sends you reminders. I have Ihydrate.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea, infused water (berries, lemon, cucumber), sparkling flavored zero calorie waters.

Keep track of your daily intake on MFP and see if you can meet a certain # of glasses each day for a week. It will become a habit.

Probably TMI, but when I really want to get more water in I drink a big glass after every time I go to the bathroom.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I get my water intake through coffee (black). Pick something you actually enjoy drinking if straight water doesn't really quench your thirst.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You could examine your belief that you aren't drinking enough water. What is your factual evidence that you need to drink more?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Instead of taking sips throughout the day, every time you reach for your water bottle guzzle down as much as you can for as long as you can. This is what I do and get through my water allotment of 2-3L a day very quickly.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Make it into tea.

Tea
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Make your water delicious in whatever way you prefer. Sparkling water, flavor it with citrus/fruit, iced, served in a fancy glass, etc.

PP pointed out it's possible you're already drinking enough water - check if your urine is already clear or pale. If it isn't then you're right about needing to drink more water.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Tea, coffee, fruit, veggies, soup, casserole, yoghurt etc - you are getting water into your body in lots of different ways, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it unless you have a good reason to think you are dehydrated.
  • jh5377
    jh5377 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find if i take a big bottle in the car and drink heaps more than i do at work. Try car drinking
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't overdo it.

I drink two small cups first thing in the morning, try to drink one before each meal, and one before I brush my teeth. That's enough in cold weather. When I'm hot, I drink more, because I'm more thirsty.
  • laurenceHarris
    laurenceHarris Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi this might sound silly but finding your 'right kind of water' really helps. For me it's sparkling water, for others it's lemon infused water or tea... But I find plain water so boring that I can't make myself drink much so having something a little different makes it more fun.