I want to run!

Options
LeeLynnP
LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
I want to run! I went and got fitted for shoes because I was having your standard pain (shin splints and sore ankles)... they are good shoes but I still have the pain... I am trying the App couch to 5k since I have signed up for several 5Ks. regardless of my seemingly inability to run, I do walk 5 miles a day (at least)... about 3mph. But I want to run! Maybe its my form? WHERE DO I START?!

Replies

• horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be the first of many to say this:

Do the c25k program. I'm on week 5 right now and I am NOT a runner (or I wasn't!) and it works REALLY well and helps you get into excellent shape without injury. And helps you works slowly into running to build endurance.
    Good running shoes is a great start!!

There are also a few awesome apps that go along with this that you can put on your ipod/smart phone to help you through it.. Good luck!!

Edit: Okay I just saw that you downloaded the c25k app.. I'm a little out of it haha

A common reason for shin splints is poor form in running. You may be doing something called heel striking, which makes your foot over flex and causes the muscle on your shin to be loose against your shin bone. Here's a video on proper running form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo&feature=related

I hope my advice helps! Stick to the program and try to work on your form :) Get professionally fitted for good shoes at least every 6 months (or buy the same pair you have again online..) to prevent injury
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Agreed. C25K is the best program out there to get you running without being injured. I would defintley do that!
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    Take it from someone who has had almost every running injury you can think of...do a paced program like what others have posted. Since you have the right shoes, increase your mileage slowly and make sure to stretch after you run. Stretching is an area that many people skip but it's very important to take a few minutes after your runs to stretch.
  • ilbcnuz
    ilbcnuz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had severe shin splints last summer. My doctor said it was from not stretching my calves and shins enough before exercising. He suggested stretching them by pointing the toes on one foot and making 10 circles with the foot alone. Then doing the other foot. Then go back to the first foot and do 10 circles in the other direction. Then do the other foot. I've been doing this since I recouperated and I haven't had any shin pain at all. I also do other stretches for my calves. Good Luck!!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Running is an awesome work out. Congrats on your desire to join the ranks of the running world.

AS others have stated an excellent approach is to do a C25K. An even better approach in my mind is to sign up for a Learn to Run Clinic at a local running store. With a clinic, you have the advantage of an experienced coach to guide your progression and critique your form. You also have a scheduled time to be running which sometimes helps with consistency.

As for pain, usually it is attributed to running form and doing to much too soon. A coached clinic would be a better way to correct your form.

A couple of tips;

1. Take it slow... nobody wakes up and decides to run a marathon in the afternoon. Many people on here have been running for years and have built up endurance and stamina. The rule of thumb is never exceed your previous weeks mileage by more than 10%. To do so, invites injury.

2. Shoes wear out... they may look brand new, but the support breaks down rapidly when you are grinding out each mile. Your feet will pound into the pavement a couple thousand times per mile... The break down. Replace your shoes every 300 Miles to keep happy feet.

3. Stretching is good. Warm up first, do DYNAMIC stretching, run and then do STATIC stretching after your run. Google the definition and difference between each.

4. Don't forget to cool down appropriately and feed the engine. Chocolate milk is an awesome recovery beverage as it contains a good balance of proteins and carbs to help speed up recovery time.

5. If you start to have problems, soreness etc, don't hesitate to back off on the workouts. It is better to back off a workout, than be on the shelf from injury for a prolonged period of time.

6. Find a running partner to keep it fun and keep yourself committed!

7. Remember to enjoy the ride. We are all in this for different reasons... one consistant thing is that most of us enjoy the experience. We can't all be Dean Karnazes or Scott Jurek or whomever... we can all enjoy it though.

8. When in doubt, ASK. There are lots of experience runners on here, who will share their experiences and knowledge with you.

Good Luck! Let's have fun out there!
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    you guys are great!. I am looking into the local clinic. Its a great idea that I had not considered.
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Check out Chi Running. It has help me.