From couch to 5k

Options
I used to run, a lot. My new years resolution this year was to run my first 5k and i signed up for the run like a diva 5k in Galveston. I just had a baby in December so i was letting my body heal and didn't get around to training. The 5k is in April 24th and i started running last week. I'm feeling discouraged. Can it really be done in that amount of time? Today i ran a half mile at 11min per mile and ended up walking must if the next half mile. I'm pooped. What is the best way to train from couch to 5k? Should i just try to jog all the way up to a 5k or should i do sprints intervals? Please i really want to compete this one!

Replies

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok
    1. don't panic - this is achievable
    2. You don't have to run the whole way.

The best way forwards with this short space of training time is to continue with run/walk intervals. Start with run 3 minutes / walk 2, then work up to run 3/walk 1, run 4, walk 1, etc. Build up by a minute each week.

The goal is to get to the 5k where, every k, you are walking for a minute, then running to the next k marker, walking a minute, etc. Start the race following that pattern, then, if you feel good, you can run the last 1/5-2K without a walk break.

Your body will work differently since the baby, you will have to take it slower than you used to.

You can do it!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great training app to help you work up to a 5k distance
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sure. You can walk/run it, without a problem. Running it is doable, your time won't be the greatest, obviously. It's only a 3 miler :) That is someone anyone can push through.