PHUL Program

Options
Been doing SL 5X5 with some modifications and/or accessory lifts for 1-1/2 years. Progress has slowed but it still was a good full body workout. My chest never really developed even tho I added some cable Xovers but maybe it just takes time.

My goals:
Lose about 10 lbs fat, mostly around mid-section plus some around my moobs.
Chest development, always been a weak area for me.
look lean, trim with solid chest. Not bulky. I am 44, 6 foot 3 and weigh 208. Would like to get into 195 area.

After some recommendations on here and some research, I settled on the PHUL program. I did the power, leg today and liked it. I did some upper body yesterday with my other routine that is why I started on legs. As the site recommended, I started out easy, the lowest recommended sets at reasonable weight.

Questions:
The site gives you ranges for sets and reps. Ex squats 3-5 sets at 3-5 reps. Is it a progression type thing. Once you get 5 sets and 5 reps each then you move up in weight and then start new weight at 3X3, then 3X4, 3X5, 4X3, etc?

How much rest do you do between sets, exercises?

Do you vary/substitute any of the lifts? LH day - thinking about squat for front squat, cable xover for flat bench dumbbell flye, upright row for dumbbell later raise to work shoulder + traps.

Is there an good app to track progress? I downloaded MaxLift app but it doesn't seem to be able to break the lifts up by workout day like the SL app does.

Replies

• maxxeckert
    maxxeckert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not much I can recommend on the workout plan you have mentioned, but nutrition will be extremely important. Keep in mind that spot-training fat loss is a myth so you'll have to focus on fat loss in general which can be done through a caloric deficit. I started 220 and finished my cut at 190 in a little under 2-months time (you can check my log). This was done through slowly integrating low calorie days over a period of progressive loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a deficit you will not gain appreciable muscle, just maintain most of what you already have. No matter what program you do, you will need a caloric surplus to gain muscle, including chest.

1. PHUL is a little more modifiable than other programs, you can do 3*3 or 3*5 or 5*5, or what I do is follow Wendler 5/3/1 for Bench and squats. It is up to you how you do it, but you should be progressing. I would suggest running the big lifts like SL, Starting strength, Madcow stronglifts, or Wendler, where progression is build in.
    2. Take as much rest as needed. follow the program of one of the programs mentioned above for that for the big lifts, for accessory, do what works good for you (more rest on power days, less on hypertrophy)
    3. You can sub lifts in, though don't do it nilly willy, make sure you are hitting the same muscle groups in the same rep ranges
    4. I use an excel spreadsheet, not sure if there are any good apps for it
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    3-5 reps isn't the optimal range for hypertrophy (i.e. chest development). If you're most concerned about physique/appearance, you may want to look into more of a bodybuilder type split/rep/set scheme.
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    3-5 reps isn't the optimal range for hypertrophy (i.e. chest development). If you're most concerned about physique/appearance, you may want to look into more of a bodybuilder type split/rep/set scheme.

The program has power days and hypertrophy days.
  • robbyf1971
    Options
    "As long as you are in a deficit you will not gain appreciable muscle, just maintain most of what you already have. No matter what program you do, you will need a caloric surplus to gain muscle, including chest."

I was looking to make some improvements to my diet, reducing calories, more protein vs empty cals to lose about 15 lbs. I can still make gains on weight training right?

I talked to a trainer and he recommended less cardio than I am doing now and also to stay in the "fat burning zone" (low intensity cardio) to help attack the 10 lbs of fat I need to shed.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    robbyf1971 wrote: »
    "As long as you are in a deficit you will not gain appreciable muscle, just maintain most of what you already have. No matter what program you do, you will need a caloric surplus to gain muscle, including chest."

I was looking to make some improvements to my diet, reducing calories, more protein vs empty cals to lose about 15 lbs. I can still make gains on weight training right?

I talked to a trainer and he recommended less cardio than I am doing now and also to stay in the "fat burning zone" (low intensity cardio) to help attack the 10 lbs of fat I need to shed.

"Fat burning zone" isn't going to do much for you. If you are a beginner or obese you can gain some muscle while in a deficit. The longer you've been training the less likely you are to add appreciable muscle in a deficit. At maintenance you would see more lean mass gains than at a deficit due to appropriately fueling your workouts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

You can and probably will increase strength. PHUL is a pretty good program and it does allow for modification.

Don't listen to the training. Fat burning zones are a myth. And you fine with your cardio if you enjoy it.
  • robbyf1971
    Options
    So just tighten up my diet, eat at deficit, continue cardio and PHUL and I should be good to go? Once I get down to 195ish then focus on adding more protein?

I have been doing a GNC Total Lean 25 shake plus fruit plus extra 20 grams whey protein after workouts. Wonder if I even need that extra 20 grams whey protein added.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So just tighten up my diet, eat at deficit, continue cardio and PHUL and I should be good to go? Once I get down to 195ish then focus on adding more protein?

I have been doing a GNC Total Lean 25 shake plus fruit plus extra 20 grams whey protein after workouts. Wonder if I even need that extra 20 grams whey protein added.

Protein levels should be around .6-.8g per lb of mass. So if you are around 150-160g per day, you are good to go. I would even hit those levels now. And you don't need them from a shake. In fact, I rather get it from food, but that is personal preference.

Hit your calories, have a moderate deficit (not aiming for 2 lb per week), adequate protein (see note above) and PHUL/cardio and you will have a solid plan.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

In a deficit protein is important the whole time, helps retain lean muscle, protein is more important in a deficit than a surplus for that reason. I would suggest hitting 150+grams of protein per day, given your stats.
  • robbyf1971
    Options
    Psulemon & erickirb: Sounds good. thanks for the advice. Now I just need to lay off the sugars including alcohol.

What would be a good loss goal per week?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Roughly .8-1 lb per week is what I shoot for.

Also, keep in mind sugar is fine in the context of an overall good diet. I get a lot of sugar in my diet, but most is from fruit. I try to limit the rest to about 10% of my calories.