Savory Cabbage Patties Lunch Box (w/pic)

Options
RillSoji
RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
Dinner plans didn't work out last night so I had nothing for leftovers for lunch today. I turned to my fridge and pantry to see what I had that needed using and I saw my half head of cabbage. So I started searching my favorite sites for recipes that use cabbage. I came across okonomiyakis which are Japanese cabbage pancakes. I was intrigued. The ingredients looked healthy enough and I found a more simplistic recipe to use. They turned out great! They were very easy, decently quick and surprisingly tasty. Even the hubby liked them.

The only thing I don't like about this lunch box is the jello fruit cup. We have a bunch of them leftover from when I was having medical issues late last year. I hate wasting food so they needed to be used but it certainly shot the calorie count and processed sugar count up for the day. Normally I would have stuffed that section with broccoli & carrots but I'm out. Ah well, it's still much healthier than what I would have eaten for lunch a couple years ago.

251224_2163887977943_1268916663_32636460_3166872_n.jpg

2 Servings (1 pictured) | 465 calories ea

4 cups Cabbage, thinly shredded
2 slices Turkey Bacon, diced
1 cup Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Bean Sprouts
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Liquid Egg Substitute
2 small Celery Stalks
1 cup Rice, cooked
1 Gala Apple
1/2 cup Green Seedless Grapes
2 Jello Fruit cups
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce

In a small bowl combine flour and egg. Whisk until well blended. In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, mushrooms, sprouts and bacon. Pour flour mixture over the top and mix until well coated. Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. Form the mixture into patties and cook, 3-5 minutes per side or until browned and holding together on it's own. Makes 4 large or 8 small. (220 calories for 2 large or 4 small!) Let cool completely then divide and add to the lunch boxes.

Mix together soy sauce and Worchestershire sauce then place in separate containers in the lunch boxes.

Slice apple and place slices in a bowl of salted water for 30 seconds to 1 minute to prevent browning. Divide the rest of the ingredients and add to the lunch boxes as pictured above.

Replies

• shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. It reminds me of potato pancakes.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love cabbage and thought I'd cooked it every way known to man but I have never heard of cabbage patties. Thanks for sharing,, looks delish:)!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Now that looks yummy to me. I'll have to try this out- I need to use my cabbage too.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Bump!

...and your lunchbox presentation is so cute! :wink:
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mstorious
    mstorious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump!

...and your lunchbox presentation is so cute! :wink:

Thanks! When I make lunch boxes I aim for:

-Healthy Balance of grains, vegetables, fruit and protein
    -Variety of flavors, colors and shapes to be pleasing to the eyes as well as the palette
    -Waste-Free utilizing reusable containers and utensils
    -Uses inexpensive ingredients without sacrificing health
    -Makes you smile! ^_^