Runners: Time or Distance?

Options
I've been running for years, and I always do time as my workout. The one exception is marathon training, where my distance runs are for a designated distance.

What do others do? Run for distance or a set amount of time?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    On my daily runs, I run for a set amount of time. When I do my long runs on the weekend, I usually run a specific distance.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to transition from time to distance now that I'm able to get up to 3.5 miles regularly. I hit a 5-miler last night for the first time, so at those distances it seems to be more effective to go by mileage.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the day. On days where I'm short of time, I run for time. For example, I have an hour between the time I get home from work and the time I have to pick up my son from daycare. That gives me 30 mins to run, then have time to cool down and have a quick shower.

On days when I have more time, I run for distance. I will even run up and down the block in front of my house at the end of my run in order to get my exact distance :lol:
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've done both. Right now I'm going by time because I'm trying not to worry about distance and pace as much as x amount of time in a certain HR zone. Just trying to build my endurance up without getting injured which is an issue for me
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I do the same, I typically run for time (30 minutes) unless I'm race training. Then it's either a mix or just distance. Another exception is when I do outdoor running on trails, in which I do distance just because it's easier to know when to turn around based on a trail marker.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Distance as I'm training for a half marathon
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Usually distance, either 1 mile or 5km. Depends on how much time I have overall.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I ran X-country throughout high school. I switched schools between Sophmore and Junior year. My first HS it was all about time. Run 30 mins out, 30 mins back as an example. My first HS it was all about distance, 3 miles out, 3 miles back as an example. I hated distance training. So as I continued running post HS, I always do timed runs, and vary my pace depending on my workout schedule.

I was just interested in what others do.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Distance with a goal pace. I make my own custom race plans. 25k, M, 50k coming up.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Used to run for distance when I was much younger. After having kids, I switched to running a set time, for practical reasons.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    When I do long runs I aim for distance. Pace and speed when training mid distances.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Errrrrr I just run :smiley: I have a route in mind and do it, then I check the time and mileage out afterwards. It can be anything from 5miles to 8 or more and time wise; if I haven't got time to just run then I'll do my 45min quick road route for a fix lol
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Always a distance, and at a set speed. Longer slow runs at the weekend (8/10 miles) , faster tempo runs often on treadmill (5/7 miles) and a recovery run in between each (5 miles).

If you run for a time, what happens when you're not back home when your time runs out? :p
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Distance.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Both, set a distance and a target time to complete it. Then try to improve on that time next run. Apart from my weekend LSRs which I just head out for up to 3 hours or so and then check the distance covered when I get home.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Distance for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's been distance but, now I'm working on speed as I've gotten to a HM distance and that is good enough for me right now.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    both...goal is a 5k run in under 30mins which includes a warmup.

I am not one for doing more than a 5k anyway.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Distance unless particularly short of time and just trying to fit a run in.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workout, but most of my running right now is more about time than it is distance.