Running Frustrations

Options
Don't laugh at my numbers, I'm still obese! XD

I'm on Week 7 of C25k. Running outdoors and choosing my pace by watching my HR and keeping it between 75-80% MHR. So right now, I can run 2.5 miles at a 14:13 average pace (13:16 for the first mile).

However, when I try to sprint just one mile, my time ends up about the same, or slower! I burn out so quickly when I try to go ANY faster, that I end up having to walk and go slower.

I really want to pick up my pace. My 1 mile record is 11:38 (about a year ago, before C25k). I'm just frustrated that while I can run a lot farther now, I can't go nearly as fast!

Ideas?

Replies

• Mayzism
    Mayzism Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you have to push yourself. When you feel tired from going to fast, and you want to stop, make yourself go a minute longer before you slow your pace.

I started off with about 16 min average for 2 mi. I'm down to average of 13 min for 2 mi.

If you keep going you may get the endorphins, the famous "runner's high"

I only achieved it once, but it made it a lot easier.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Endurance comes before pace, and it's hard to push pace before you've gained the endurance.
    Personally I don't think that sprint intervals or fartlek training will gain you much until you can run a steady 3 miles.
    Just don't worry about pace for now and keep building your endurance. Pace will come naturally then.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Endurance comes before pace, and it's hard to push pace before you've gained the endurance.
    Personally I don't think that sprint intervals or fartlek training will gain you much until you can run a steady 3 miles.
    Just don't worry about pace for now and keep building your endurance. Pace will come naturally then.

^^^

All of that.

For more info on why this is good advice see here:

Speed v Endurance - what is holding you back?
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Finish the C25K first, then start to think about picking up speed and developing your training further. As others have said, endurance comes first. You will find your speed naturally picking up as you train more and get stronger.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why do you think that your time is laughable? It is not bad at all for someone just beginning to run. Forget sprinting, first run the distance you have as a goal, make sure you are comfortable running this distance, even at a snail pace, then you can work on speed. Do not push yourself for time, focus on endurance first.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Finish the C25K first, then start to think about picking up speed and developing your training further. As others have said, endurance comes first. You will find your speed naturally picking up as you train more and get stronger.

this
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh at my numbers, I'm still obese! XD

I'm on Week 7 of C25k. Running outdoors and choosing my pace by watching my HR and keeping it between 75-80% MHR. So right now, I can run 2.5 miles at a 14:13 average pace (13:16 for the first mile).

However, when I try to sprint just one mile, my time ends up about the same, or slower! I burn out so quickly when I try to go ANY faster, that I end up having to walk and go slower.

I really want to pick up my pace. My 1 mile record is 11:38 (about a year ago, before C25k). I'm just frustrated that while I can run a lot farther now, I can't go nearly as fast!

Ideas?

it's too early, you don't want to get injured.
    Wait till you can run 5/6 miles or10k before trying to improve your pace
    http://www.runnersworld.com/run-faster/overview-how-to-run-faster
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Distance comes before speed. Once you can reliably run the entire 5K (and then some), the speed will start to come--it may not be during your first race; however, don't underestimate the power of adrenaline (be very careful not to get too caught up in the excitement of the race and go out way too fast). You can then start working on building speed using interval workouts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

Yup.......don't worry about speed yet. You're just beginning to build your aerobic base....
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You will naturally get quicker over time, don't worry about it!
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, and:

Have you tried running without your HRM, or without paying attention to it, just paying attention to how you feel? And, how did you calculate Max? By testing or by formula? Do you feel confident that it's reasonably accurate for you?
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would advise to not even worry about pace until you can run for 45 mins nonstop comfortably. This means a talking pace.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    julyrunner wrote: »
    What everyone else said, and:

Have you tried running without your HRM, or without paying attention to it, just paying attention to how you feel? And, how did you calculate Max? By testing or by formula? Do you feel confident that it's reasonably accurate for you?

I agree with this. Run by feel and without paying attention to your HRM. I think your HRM is likely distracting you, and it's too early to worry about your speed. Running without your HRM is strangely freeing. Give it a try ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    At this point I'm just repeating what everyone else has already said, but my speed gains have always come after I have concentrated on my endurance. Focus on sustained running and your speed will improve as a result.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't push yourself too hard if you've only been running for seven weeks. Your body likely still hasn't physiologically become strong/pliable enough to accommodate the added strain. Pushing yourself before your body is ready greatly increases the risk of injury. Unfortnately, 2.5miles max at a 14mi/min pace shows that you're not ready yet. That doesn't mean you can't get yourself ready though.

Keep going the endurance path, and get your body used to everything. Complete the c25k, and then start steadily increasing miles by 10-15% per week after, and speed will naturally come along.
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The key is have patience. You haven't been running for very long and it won't happen overnight. I'm in c213k currently. I'm at week 11 and now can maintain 12 min mile. At the start of the program with long walk intervals I was at 14 min mile. If your tired, sore, cold, dehydrated all these things factor into your time. So don't get discouraged. You are doing a great job. Keep up the hard work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far. Im on week 4 c25k
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @Jericha1992 Keep running consistently. Marathon not a sprint. Also they say you automatically gain 1-2sec/mi per lb body weight lost. Little extra motivation to keep on working hard. :smile: