fluctuations

How do you guys deal with fluctuations? I weigh every day though I only record once a week. I don't really count my every day weight seriously but sometimes big fluctuations just get to me. I worry that I've gained and have small freak outs and have to fight the urge to say forget this and quit.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    Daily fluctuations in weight is absolutely normal but as long the trend is going downward overall it's fine.

If you can't handle the daily fluctuations stop weighing yourself every day and just weigh once a week.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Study what you ate the day before and you will realize that some of the foods had a high salt content,
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Use an app that shows you weight trends. You plug in your weigh ins and the app will smooth out the fluctuations to show you what's happening.

Some that I know of:
    Happy Scale (iOS)
    Libra (Android)
    Monitor Your Weight (Android / iOS?)
    My Weight Tracker (Android / iOS?)
    Trendweight.com (need fitbit or withings account to use)
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Weigh first thing in the morning after peeing
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Weighing every day is what makes me NOT freak out - I know that a jump up or down from one day to the next can't possibly be fat. If I weighed weekly, it COULD be fat. Fat loss and gain is slow and steady and happens in small increments, fluctuations are a reality, often large and abrupt and happen for no good reason, and if you still want to stop weighing daily, I suggest NOT weighing weekly, but monthly, and if your weight follows your menstrual cycle, weigh on a set day during your cycle.
  • SarahsFitMess
    SarahsFitMess Posts: 261 Member
    Weighing every day is what makes me NOT freak out - I know that a jump up or down from one day to the next can't possibly be fat. If I weighed weekly, it COULD be fat.
    After marinating on it I came up with the same thought.
    thanks for the recommendations shadow2soul
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    My weight fluctuates between 3-5 pounds everyday.

I weigh my lowest in the morning so I record that as my true weight. I usually record my weight bi-weekly.