A1C

Options
Just got my results from my second round of blood work. Had a doctors appointment early February and my A1C was 11.1 and cholesterol was 139. In close to two months of working out pushing myself on the treadmill and eating better, I've dropped these numbers to 6.4 and 85 respectively!! I'm pumped. Talk about a NSV...

Replies

• lelaland
    lelaland Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your hard work!
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's HUGE! congrats!
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great job, your hard work is paying off!!
  • gilbyfc
    gilbyfc Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is so much more important than the numbers on a scale, at least from my perspective. What an amazing accomplishment. Keep up the good work!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    You really made huge improvements to your health! How did you change your diet?
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Amazing work
  • gilbyfc
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    You really made huge improvements to your health! How did you change your diet?

Breakfast is eggbeaters and a splash of cheese. Lunch is typically a turkey burger (no bun) or a turkey filet from Schwan's and a side of broccoli or another low carb vegetable. For dinner, it's whatever the family is having minus the starch and smaller portions than before.

At the gym, I get 5-6 days per week and I'm learning it's all about sweat equity. I was walking on the treadmill and not seeing any losses. The doc told me I needed to start running, so now I run two minutes and walk one for 30-35 minutes. when I'm done I'm a sweaty mess!!! I gauge my workout by the sweat on my shirt. If you get off the treadmill, stepper, whatever the machine, and you're not sweating, you wasted your time.

All my opinion guys and what's worked for me...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Did your HDL go up or down with exercise.
    I'm working very hard to get mine above 39.
    I need motivation. So hard to do this every day.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My A1C dropped as well, it's an amazing feeling knowing that those results aren't sitting on your back weighing you down mentally.
  • gilbyfc
    Options
    Did your HDL go up or down with exercise.
    I'm working very hard to get mine above 39.
    I need motivation. So hard to do this every day.

If HDL is the "bad" cholesterol, that's the one that went from 139 to 85.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    HDL is the good cholesterol. "Healthy" cholesterol.
    I tried to get mine up with just a good diet.
    Self-experiment ended up being a disaster.
    I need to exercise.
  • gilbyfc
    Options
    honestly I forget what that was. I guess I was too worried about the other numbers.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    gilbyfc wrote: »
    Just got my results from my second round of blood work. Had a doctors appointment early February and my A1C was 11.1 and cholesterol was 139. In close to two months of working out pushing myself on the treadmill and eating better, I've dropped these numbers to 6.4 and 85 respectively!! I'm pumped. Talk about a NSV...

@filbyc your chances of a premature death and sickness along the way seems to may have dropped like a rock. Keep up the good work. It just proves there is more than one way to bring down blood glucose levels.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Great job! These are the true NSV's :smiley: Do watch your HDL, as well. HDL helps clean up the bad cholesterol and you increase it with exercise. Keep up the awesome work and thanks for sharing your success!
  • gilbyfc
    Options
    i'll have to call the doc and ask about HDL. I remember her mentioning it, but after she mentioned it she said and your "bad cholesterol is", so I forgot the good!! lol

Gale..you sound knowledgeable. how bad was 11.1? was I at risk?
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    that's amazing! great job