Hit a wall then rapid weight loss?

Options
mandietippets
mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else have this happen? I've been stuck with my weight for about 1-2 weeks and the last 3 days have lost like 3 pounds. This seems to happen periodically. Is it normal?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep. Google "the whoosh phenomenon". I'm on my phone and don't have the link handy.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I've been experiencing too
  • janicekdavis484
    janicekdavis484 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that! I was loosing my mind but knowing it's the whoosh phenomenon makes sense. This article was an easy read.
    http://leanmuscleproject.com/how-whooshes-impact-your-weight-loss/
  • mandietippets
    Options
    Yep. Google "the whoosh phenomenon". I'm on my phone and don't have the link handy.

Awesome! Thanks so much. I keep getting nervous it will just be temporary but it seems to be staying off. Down another pound today so that's 4 since Sunday after all that time with my body being stubborn.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I recently also had a whoosh. I am 4 pounds down since Sunday. Feels nice.
  • mandietippets
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    I recently also had a whoosh. I am 4 pounds down since Sunday. Feels nice.

It does feel nice! All that hard work finally paying off.:)
  • ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was at 135 for about 3 weeks then one day it says 134, then the day after 133, then the day after 132.2. It was amazing! But I was very frustrated for those 3 weeks. Now I know that I just have to trust the process and I am only really stuck if it lasts a month.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It happens to me every month and is correlated with my menstrual cycle.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that "whoosh" was actually a term for it... I call it that. When I first started losing weight I had a whoosh of about 8 pounds every month. No loss for three or 4 weeks, followed by 8 pounds in just a few days. As I've gotten smaller, it has translated into much smaller whooshes and, strangely enough, bigger fluctuations in my weight the rest of the month. Once I went two months with no loss, and lots of fluctuation, and then lost 10 pounds in 4 days. As long as it comes off, right!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Here's a visual explanation

xagkfg8gu5pg.jpeg
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Here's a visual explanation

xagkfg8gu5pg.jpeg

That is adorable. I love it.
  • eyeshinebright
    eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that! I was loosing my mind but knowing it's the whoosh phenomenon makes sense. This article was an easy read.
    http://leanmuscleproject.com/how-whooshes-impact-your-weight-loss/

It's funny, the article mentions that anecdotally, alcohol can trigger a whoosh. I had a couple of beers last Sunday, and in the following days I had lost 3 pounds after being stuck for a couple of weeks. Haha, I won't be increasing my alcohol intake though. Maybe it's because alcohol is a diuretic and the whooshes are due to water retention?
  • Christine_72
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Ditto.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

This exactly.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can also trigger them with a refeed day, where you eat mostly carbs all day and stop at your TDEE/maintenance calories, or just a little over. Some people do this every week, or every two weeks. I was trying to do a refeed this past Sunday but ended up drinking a bunch of wine and went way over my calorie target, so that didn't work out how I planned, unfortunately.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So THAT'S what it is called! Same thing happens to me. Nothing for a couple of weeks, then 2-4 pounds in a few days. Pounds that stay off too!