Has anyone done a low carb diet ?

Options
I'm doing a low carb diet just now but feel like food is limited and struggling to have non repetitive dinners any ideas ?

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I just started and posted a bit about sad boring lettuce wraps. lol.

How low are you going?
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It only seems that way because we are conditioned to the variety of junk and carbs that are out there. There is a wide variety of meats, veggies, nuts and seeds once you get to really looking. I don't know how strict you are and exactly which methodology you are following, but there are always plenty of options. Here is another thing: one fo the best demonstrated practices of most lean people is they eat the same few things every day. You are most successful that way. swap a veg or a protein, change the seasonings up, but try to establish a fairly fixed menu.
  • laurenpod
    laurenpod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Google the ketogenic diet
  • johngraham92
    johngraham92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just started a week and a half ago try and get in shape for holiday ! I use to be 12 and a half stone then became lazy and unactive and went up to 15'6 now I'm 14'6 slowly but surely getting ther
  • tdeaux
    tdeaux Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Since this is such a popular diet, there are a ton of websites out there with recipes. The Atkins website has things, Pinterest, YouTube, All Recipes. It's out there.

However, this is exactly why I feel restrictive diets are not sustainable for people (I have done them and couldn't last myself). It gets repetitive, feels like everything is off limits...it sucks. You will lose weight on low carb, for sure, but so will cutting calories in general. It doesn't really matter where you are cutting the calories from, you just need a deficit. Unless advised by your doc for health reasons, I personally don't believe in these types of diets. I eat carbs from healthy sources and feel great!
  • hulk666
    hulk666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I follow a Keto diet which is like Atkins but you eat 65-70% fat, 30-35% protein and fewer than 20g carbs--preferably zero carbs. You must use a fiber supplement or bowel movements will be like giving birth if you can even go at all. It is a bodybuilder strategy that works but is hard to do long term. I started on Saturday dropping my calories from 4000 to 2500 and I lost 2.8# the next day weighing myself upon waking first thing in the morning. My plan is to follow it STRICTLY for 5 days then on day 6 have about 100g carbs then day 7 is a cheat day where I basically eat "whatever" within reason. Then, go back on it for another 5 days. Then, I will assess my weight loss and try to eat normal for the next week--hoping I continue to lose--although it may be slower. I do cardio 1st thing in morning then don't eat anything until about 10am. Then EVERY 3 hours til 8pm I eat a small meal like 4 eggs scrambled with cheese and some kind of meat added. Another meal may be a precooked burger and slice of cheese. Not exciting but it works. NO FRUITS, NO VEGETABLES, NO DAIRY (cheese only), NO BREADS. NUTS are good to add in as a snack or a "dessert." Try it. Google KETOSIS INSTITUTE for more info.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Agree with @tdeaux ! I couldn't put my body through some of the exercise that I do without carbs, just choose healthy carbs!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    hulk666 wrote: »
    I follow a Keto diet which is like Atkins but you eat 65-70% fat, 30-35% protein and fewer than 20g carbs--preferably zero carbs. You must use a fiber supplement or bowel movements will be like giving birth if you can even go at all. It is a bodybuilder strategy that works but is hard to do long term. I started on Saturday dropping my calories from 4000 to 2500 and I lost 2.8# the next day weighing myself upon waking first thing in the morning. My plan is to follow it STRICTLY for 5 days then on day 6 have about 100g carbs then day 7 is a cheat day where I basically eat "whatever" within reason. Then, go back on it for another 5 days. Then, I will assess my weight loss and try to eat normal for the next week--hoping I continue to lose--although it may be slower. I do cardio 1st thing in morning then don't eat anything until about 10am. Then EVERY 3 hours til 8pm I eat a small meal like 4 eggs scrambled with cheese and some kind of meat added. Another meal may be a precooked burger and slice of cheese. Not exciting but it works. NO FRUITS, NO VEGETABLES, NO DAIRY (cheese only), NO BREADS. NUTS are good to add in as a snack or a "dessert." Try it. Google KETOSIS INSTITUTE for more info.

That was all water weight, my friend. Just an FYI...
  • ElainaWang
    ElainaWang Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do it for my diabetes. Im type 2 and not on any medications thanks to the ketogenic diet.. Check out the group Reversing Diabetes on Facebook. They save lives! Plus, theres an awesome foods list lol
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Hey op, There are tons of great information out there. And ten times as much misinformation. There are some very good groups on MFP, message me if you'd like an invite. Check out DietDoctor.com for some free, practical information. This is not a fad diet, people have eaten this way for 2 million years. It is a healthy sustainable way of eating that reverses many of the endemic health problems in the world today.

There are a number of web sites with recipes for low-carb as well as groups on MFP that like to share their favorites. You don't say why you are doing low-carb right now, good luck meeting your goals, whatever they are.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Please take a look at the Paleo diet. There are TONS of websites out there with thousands of recipes, all grain-, dairy- and legume-free. There are some who are strict Paleo, and some that are more lenient and use cheeses, etc. You will surely find more low-carb recipes than you could cook in a lifetime!
  • johngraham92
    johngraham92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody will defo be looking all this up
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I log in and comment everyday. I have done low carb before and some days I still do stick to the low carb side. Food is not limited at all. You just have to know what you can eat and stay away from. I would be happy to share some of my recipes if you like.
  • paulasymingtonmfp
    paulasymingtonmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am starting out on low carb today . I did low carb for about 4 months last year and lost about 35 Lb .It was the first time in my life that I never felt bloated after eating . I fell of the wagon when I went on a AI holiday . I done a lot of research and the best place I got recipes and ideas from was on low carb groups on FB if you type in low carb a lot of groups come up that are really helpful .