How do/did you deal with a breakup while being on a weight loss journey?

Options
What do not not say *kitten* it and eat whatever you want?

Replies

• Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    While I haven't experienced this, I would suggest focusing on you and realizing that your journey is the most important thing to continue. Find activities that make you happy. Find a healthy cooking course. Reinvest in yourself. I happen to be in a marriage and for the first time investing in myself. It is making me happier, which in turn makes everything around me easier to deal with and happier.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    This was a few years ago but I walked or cleaned my new apartment when I got stressed out. I revelled in going food shopping for myself and not having to eat my exes cooking. I became a stress starver instead of a stress eater. Last 10 pounds came off easy.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Train harder!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Stress eating is a bad habit like any other bad habit. You have to decide you're not going to do it anymore, then don't. Some people can't eat when they're under stress, and I try to get into that mindset.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would see this as a positive and focus on you! Instead of having to focus on another person in your life. Just take this time to focus on your health and fitness goals.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've just been through this and the first week was difficult but I started using exercise to cope and burn off extra energy/feelings, and I think my ex was a big part of why I was overeating (we were bad about encouraging each other to eat bad food lol) so it was actually easier to make better choices.
  • SharpMamaOf3
    SharpMamaOf3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I went through my breakup with my now ex-husband I ran it out or took a spin class. I tried to do things that would refocus my pain somewhere else. I tried really hard to not stress eat but I would be lying if I said I didn't.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I told myself... I don't really have control over the breakup, I only have control over myself. Time to work on a healthy loving relationship with myself!
  • jbalge
    jbalge Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found that my breakup also helped my weight loss journey (and my ex was sometimes mean about my weight, so that motivated me even more-- even though all this work is for me!)

The biggest help for me was staying super busy. I would make plans every night of the week and clean my apartment like a crazy when I wasn't spending time with friends. When I had a clean apartment, it felt like I had cleaned my ex right out of there!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    breakups can be great for fueling the fire, don't get sad, get mad, then get to the gym! Use it to be better. Plus now no one influences what you eat but you. Being single is great for losing weight and focusing on goals.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I used it as motivation to work even harder. Yes, we all have those nights where we want to eat the entire pantry. Let the break up motivate you to be the very best you can be.
    Remember, there is someone better out there for you and they are waiting to meet a great person, not someone who sabotages themselves every chance they get.
    Chin up! You've got this!
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I took a long walk and realized it was the best 220 pounds I could lose; I then held my head high and moved on! ❤️
  • rbchick66
    rbchick66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend of 7 years broke up with me. I lost 17 pounds, not in a healthy way. I wasn't hungry and only ate once a day with my family. After I started to heal I was motivated to try to work out and look awesome! I wanted him to miss me. The better I looked and felt the more I took care of myself and focused on healing. I ended up gaining all my weight back, mostly due to a hip injury, but I still feel more happy and fit than I did before the break up.

Focusing on yourself is the best way to heal. Allow yourself to cry, but don't start splurging just because your sad. Dry your tears hold your head high and hit the gym. Every time you do you will feel a little bit better! Good luck!!!
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I may no be able to control the breakup or the *kitten* circumstances that surround it... the only thing I can control is what I decide to put in my mouth and how I move my body.
  • ubernerdgirl
    ubernerdgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My Evil Ex was my rock climbing partner, so it created a problem for me-- no one to belay me. After he assaulted me, I needed time to heal physically, so climbing wasn't really in the cards until I could find someone else to climb with. I did try to stay focused on my weight loss and my fitness, because keeping my health up was important-- if you let yourself go, then the other party still has power over you in that way, you know? Take care of yourself, do things that you enjoy.

And I totally agree with what both chesves and Latitude11Courtney said. :)
  • Hjaye7512
    Hjaye7512 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think realizing the best thing you can do for yourself is to work on you! Join a new gym or social support forums and put yourself out there and make new friends also..
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I would see this as a positive and focus on you! Instead of having to focus on another person in your life. Just take this time to focus on your health and fitness goals.

Agreed. Hold your head high and try to lift more, run faster or reach further.
  • renevate
    renevate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are days when you want to eat half a lemon meringue pie all by yourself (yes, I am going through a separation and I baked a lemon meringue pie and ate more than half all by myself in one day. Don't judge me, I won't judge you). But you need to remember that each day stands alone. Sure, one day may be lemon meringue pie for breakfast lunch and supper, but the next day is a new day and your choices of yesterday should in no way influence your decisions for today.

Be kind to yourself. You have the right to be emotional. You have the right to break down. You are not perfect, and that is great! Allow yourself space and time to fall apart because picking yourself up after letting it all go, is easier than trying to hold yourself together and hold everything in.

Pop psychology session over