High Calorie Low Carb Question

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I am trying to lose weight. I have always counted calories but now I've decided to try and cut carbs. Do I still need to fret about calories (as much), if I'm only taking about 100g - 140g of carbs per day?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Is over 100g of carbs considered 'low'?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    You always need to worry about calories. While there are many variables to weight loss, the biggest and most important is calories in vs calories out.

Plus, I wouldn't consider 100-140g of carbs per day as low carb, that is more moderate carb. I currently consume less than 50g per day but know many others who stick to less than 25g.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have many friends that have tried to go low carbs, gluten free, etc. They lose a couple of pounds, then stop, then binge on carbs. It's still all about the calories. Now are you perhaps healthier without the carbs...that's up for debate, I guess.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - keep carbs below 100, and yes, calories still count.
  • gry086
    gry086 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Michelle and Ashley, thanks a ton!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :blush: You don't need to go low carb to lose weight. It's a method that works for some, just as eating moderate or high carb works for others. And I don't think 100-140 is low carb. It may be low for what you're used to and a good way to see if low(er) carb is a way of eating that'll work for you long term. :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    All diets, including low carb work on the premise that you will be consuming fewer calories than you require to maintain weight...carbs don't have anything to do with it...carbs don't make you fat, too many calories does that. There are actually a lot of very nutritious sources of carbohydrates out there which seems to be lost on a lot of people too.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I consider 100-140g of carbs per day as low, but at the upper end of the LCHF spectrum. I consider below 50 g of carbs to be very LCHF, or ketogenic.

You need some sort of caloric deficit in order to lose weight. For some, achieving CI<CO is easier to do on a LCHF diet because it possibly reduces your appetite, reduces your carb cravings, or raises CO a bit so your CI need not be as low. But if you do eat way too much on a LCHF diet, you will still maintain or gain weight.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I personally would not recommend low carb diets because your body runs on glucose which is what carbs are broken down into. I always used to have massive binges on high fat low carb. May just be me though...
  • gry086
    Options

More great responses. Thanks everyone. A quick note- I never mentioned a "low" carb diet. Some guy called TavistockToad mentioned "low" and everyone started correcting me on low carb diets. I'm not on a low carb diet. I'm just cuting carbs.

some websites Claim that many people take in around 310g of carbs per day. I can't say for sure, because I never counted until yesterday, but I was probably in that ~300g / day group. I am just reducing that number- not trying to a be a LCHF dieter. Though one day I might!
  • gry086
    Options
    although I now see that my post is titled "low" so yeah. That confusion would be my fault. :s
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

No...we could argue about whether or not that is even moderate carb.

Yes, you still have to pay attention to calories.
  • Jblesssed
    Jblesssed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow Im learning so much from you guys I bought this low carb diet book that told me 100-150 carbs a day ,is low carb how wrong this book is I see now. Omg and guys I love tomatoes and peas so much carbs :/ spinach salads my fav with mozzarella tomatoes olives turkey lunch meat boiled eggs I eat that lunch dinner not losing like I should ,the book says whey protein shakes , I havent done those I thought they would just be extra calories.
  • Adam11Malik
    Adam11Malik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different intake goal for carbs based on their age, sex, height, weight, etc. 100-140g of carbs for the average human being in terms of the 2,000 calorie diet would be considered low. From my knowledge. ^^i wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your book is wrong.
  • Adam11Malik
    Adam11Malik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    100g of carbs equates to 400 calories. since 1g of carb = 4 calories. 400 calories in a 2,000 calorie diet is 20% carb diet. meaning that 80% of your diet will consist of protein and fat combination. 20% will therefore be on the lower end in regards to fat and protein. In my opinion. but 20% may be considered high to some.