Is it just me?

Options
morganginga
morganginga Posts: 33 Member
I have The Learning Channel (TLC) and occasionally a show about Brookhaven Obesity Clinic will pop up. I usually end up watching this show. And when I do watch it, I can't sit on the couch. I literally have to workout while I watch it (normally on the elliptical). It's almost a compulsion that I need to workout while I watch. Is it just me that has this type of reaction?

I'll occasionally watch other weight loss programs, such as Biggest Loser but I don't have the same deep down feeling of needing to work out while I watch. Does anyone else have this kind of reaction to a show like this? I just thought it was a strange reaction.

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    That's not strange, you are watching people abusing their bodies and killing themselves and it's not like they are even enjoying the food they do eat any more, they just eat because they "have" to. If the desire to not become them gets you to exercise then keep watching.

Biggest Loser is full of too many silly challenges and changing of teams, the show you are watching probably presents all the sad and scary aspects of obesity hence more "inspiring".
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I can't watch those shows they are very depressing to me.
  • erin1081
    erin1081 Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't know why, but when I watch The Biggest Loser, I want to eat! What the heck is wrong with me????
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser is such a motivator to get in shape and have a good diet!!! I want to go running after seeing it.
  • amybear27
    amybear27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to clean when watching Hoarders. Kind of the same thing. I also workout while watching Biggest Loser.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but when I watch The Biggest Loser, I want to eat! What the heck is wrong with me????

I too used to watch The Biggest Loser and eat. I realized the irony, but still that's what I did. It was before I started watching my weight and before MFP.

Now I don't watch The Biggest Loser.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I felt that way watching some show, I think on MTV, about kids who went to fat camp, but it was more like a school than a camp, I think. That show really made me kick my workouts and diet into high gear, but mostly it made me want to beat the hell out of their parents for not taking more control over their kids' lifestyles.
  • morganginga
    morganginga Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser is full of too many silly challenges and changing of teams, the show you are watching probably presents all the sad and scary aspects of obesity hence more "inspiring".

Yeah, I think that may be it. The people essentially get put in a hospital (granted it is voluntary). Often they have to lose weight to be able to get something like a lap band or stomach bypass. The sad part is that some of them won't get up to exercise and help themselves but somehow they find a way to get fast food delivered. Scary.