Coach Potato to Fitness

Options
Hi MFPs

Not too long ago I was a bonafide couch potato. I wasn't necessarily watching TV. I was reading, doing homework, and paperwork. One knee injury later and I was truly sedentary. It didn't happen over night, so I guess I cannot hope for an immediate solution.

I do not believe my mind has caught up with my fitness level. I have a resting heart rate of 57. I alternate strength training and cardio on alternate days.

Once I have completed my workout, I am only doing what is absolutely necessary. I don't necessarily feel tired; although sometimes I tell myself I am. I'm worried I could lull myself back into sedentary.

So in your experience, how long before you noticed true sustained activity?

On the bright side, I had an incredibly stressful morning yesterday and it never even occurred to me to overeat. If I had to guess, that took nine months to happen.

Replies

• holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking and wondering when everyone started feeling like they 'needed' to work out. When it became less of a chore(like why the hell am I doing this) and more of something required (like I gotta do it, i love it)to feel good.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I lost 62 pounds and wanted to do something to get out of the house and meet people in real life who have similar goals. I thought about doing yoga and it took me a couple of months just to get up the nerve to go someplace new. I decided to go to a gym that has a swimming pool, classes, and weights.

Never did take the yoga class, but enjoy strength training. I have a personal trainer. The only way I can explain it - it's like having someone to help with motivation when I didn't have a lot of my own. I've been doing it for 2 months and have lost 2 pant sizes and I can see a little definition and can feel some muscles developing. So far so good; it does not feel like drudgery - am thinking about increasing the work I put in at the gym.

I hope this is helpful to you. I'm in an invest in me mode. I have invested a lot of time and energy helping others. This time is for me.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    To think that people who workout every day and look amazing don't continually fight a constant battle within themselves may be wishful thinking. lol It may get easier to 'just do it'... but I think there will always be that inner choice- do I want to be lazy and sabotage the hard work I've put in so far... or do I want to get this workout out of the way, maybe get a personal best, and then relax because I've earned it?
    Personally, if I want to workout I know I can't come home and watch TV before I do it. It will never get done. I have to come home and keep busy with cleaning and laundry or something until it's time to do the workout. I tend to workout at night because I don't want to be all done and then sit around and snack for an hour before bed. If you feel you are too tired to do anything after a workout, maybe schedule it before bed also. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and carbs too, you need those for energy.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MzManiak

I hear what your saying about inner talk - I have to get my workout in early or it won't happen. I have thought of adding a session in the eve - maybe not hit it so hard as I do in the morning, but I don't want to develop any lazy habits in the gym.

I see so many people talking on the phone, or taking long breaks in between sets as they looking thru their playlist. My only technology is my watch. I hit record and forget it until after session.

Maybe I should just take my dog for a leisurely walk in the eve.

Been thinking, if it took my 9 months to not reach for food under stressful situations - it might take another 9 months before I truly become active and engaged in life. I sure know how to work or do school. Play? Not so much. I really want balance and joy.
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I realized I needed to work out after I did the math on the science behind weighloss. After I did myself my friend Denise wanted to see about losing 10 pounds...without exercise where is is like 140 for her to to it safely was going to be 2 pounds loss per month. This is where I seen how important exercise really is.