Lactose free cheese changed at Aldi :(

Options
I'm really bummed Aldi switched to a new supplier and made their sliced cheese no longer lactose free. It makes menu planning and cooking much harder and I'm not a huge fan of soy cheese :( My daughter is lactose intolerant and the only other cheese I've heard of being lactose free is Cabot and they don't sell the mild cheddar where I live.

Replies

• Hipp706
    Hipp706 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We use a dairy free cheese as I'm vegan and two of my children are cows milk protein intolerant. We use Violife. It's the best one I've found - I've tried lots. They do it in blocks, slices, and spread. I know you said you don't like soy cheese, but this is def worth trying (think it's soy free too. Reminds me of something like Edam.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Has she tried normal hard cheese? The lactose level is very low and lots of lactose intolerant people can eat it (in moderation of course) without major issues.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the idea Hipp. I haven't seen the cheese you mentioned in our health food store. We've tried Daya and Kaas and like Kaas the best.

Flute lady, she can't have regular mild or medium cheddar, but can have small amounts of butter and Parmesan. I've been doing some research today and found kraft sharp is supposed to be lactose free so I'll look into that next. Lactaid hasn't helped any either.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    A lot of Kraft cheese is lactose free, look at the package & it will say contains 0 grams lactose (usually in small print) not all of it says this, but a lot does, my dh is lf & this has saved me a lot of money.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    Options
    Thank you Kristine, I'll see if I can find some. Have you found any mild cheddar that says 0 grams lactose?
  • SeptemberFeyre
    Options
    Thanks for the link! That is wonderful news! :):smiley:
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Honestly I only ever buy the co-jack blend & mozzarella at Sam's. So haven't really looked.
  • JessieAbolitionistVegan
    Options
    There are a lot of recipes online for vegan cheese made from cashews, almonds, coconuts, or other plant ingredients that aren't soy. They are way better than a lot of the store-bought soy cheese products!
  • SeptemberFeyre
    Options
    Hi Jessie, we made cheese out of cashews. It was okay, but liked other things better.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hipp706 wrote: »
    We use a dairy free cheese as I'm vegan and two of my children are cows milk protein intolerant. We use Violife. It's the best one I've found - I've tried lots. They do it in blocks, slices, and spread. I know you said you don't like soy cheese, but this is def worth trying (think it's soy free too. Reminds me of something like Edam.

Sorry to thread jack, but do you know if Whole Foods carries this? I haven't seen it before. I have a dairy allergy, and I've almost given up on cheese.