Recipes for nut and peanut free protein bars

Options
Scrappydo67
Scrappydo67 Posts: 17 Member
My son is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and he lifts weights and likes to have protein right after. I'd like to find a recipe for homemade protein bars for both of us. It's almost impossible to find one without peanut butter or some kind of nut butter to hold it all together. Anyone got a good recipe?

Replies

• cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I experimented with a recipe yesterday which turned out quite well. It just needs tweaking a bit. Although mine was made with nut butter, you could leave it out as I am sure it will still come together like a dough. I ground half a cup of quaker oats to a flour in the magimix. I then pulsed roughly another half a cup of quaker oats so they were somewhere in between in the fineness. This is to give the bars a bit of texture. I then added 2 teaspoons of Green & Blacks cocoa powder,but think I will add an extra teaspoon next time for added chocolate flavour. Or alternatively, I will melt some 70% cocoa solids chocolate to drizzle on top or even all over :wink: Next I added 2 teaspoons of organic acacia honey (can be more or less according to taste; and any flavour). Next was 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean extract. Then I added 1/4 cup of Pink Sun unflavoured whey protein powder (I have now found after trying many types that this one does not give me cramps, nor does it do horrible things with my bowels). Next I added 1/4 cup of quinoa. I found this for me 'as is' makes it a bit too crunchy; others may like that texture. So what I will do next time is either boil the quinoa for about 3 mins to soften, then drain and cool before adding. Or if that doesn't work; grind it to a finer consistency in my grinder/mill. Once everything is mixed together, add up to a 1/4 cup of semi skimmed milk to bind it all together to a stiff consistency; something like Playdough. Leave covered on the side for around half an hour. This is to let the oats absorb the liquid fully. Check and see if it is still 'mouldable'. Then make slightly smaller than golf-ball sized balls, which is what I did. Or you can press into a small shallow tin and make more traditional sized bars. Then pop in the fridge to firm up slightly more. I got 7 balls out of this mixture which although included the almond nut butter, it shouldn't make much difference as I only used a tablespoon of it. Hope this is something like what you would like.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you ever tried soy nut butter? There is a brand at most grocery stores called WOW Butter. It taste really good and has the same texture as peanut butter. It has 7 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Does coconut count? I'm oblivious about allergies. If that's okay, my base recipe is 1 cup coconut flour, 4 scoops of protein powder and liquid (milk, water, soy milk coconut milk). Currently, I added unsweetened cocoa powder and diced craisens. You can add whatever flavors you like. They are sticky and need to be refrigerated, but I find them tasty! I wrap mine in parchment paper.
  • 20likenow
    20likenow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    Have you ever tried soy nut butter? There is a brand at most grocery stores called WOW Butter. It taste really good and has the same texture as peanut butter. It has 7 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons.

I love this stuff. We don't have peanut butter in the house because my son also has an allergy to peanuts.
  • Scrappydo67
    Scrappydo67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    He is allergic to soy as well :( Thanks cryptobrit I may try your recipe, also shinycrazy that sounds good too!
  • NicolaProntack
    NicolaProntack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try finding recipes online that use dates to bind. They can be sticky...but delicious!