Somebody Stop Me!

Options
So I'm good all day and eat right, am on track calorie wise and everything else... UNTIL after I get off work and sit in traffic for an hour. I just want to grab fast food and when I get home I am HUNGRY and eat too much and eat junk. HELP!

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    MegMalin wrote: »
    So I'm good all day and eat right, am on track calorie wise and everything else... UNTIL after I get off work and sit in traffic for an hour. I just want to grab fast food and when I get home I am HUNGRY and eat too much and eat junk. HELP!

prepare some meals one day a week and freeze them that way you can just heat them up and you will have a healthy option.
  • MegMalin
    MegMalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I may try that! Thanks.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Eat something in the car. Try a Larabar.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Or being healthy snacks with you and keep something healthy in the car too.
    -nuts, carrots, fruits, string cheese, boiled egg etc.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Plan some healthy snacks to bring with you during your marathon traffic sitting. Then, when you get home you won't be so hungry. Apples with nut butter and string cheese stay pretty well, for example. Or, get a small insulated lunchbox with an ice block. You can't really keep it in the car, but if you have somewhere you can stash it during work, you'd be good to go (home)!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    all great ideas so far
  • MegMalin
    Options
    Yes, great ideas. Need to come up with a plan for some car snacks!
  • lisadobbscarr
    lisadobbscarr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You need something for while you are in traffic. By the time you get home you are ravenous. Make sure you have a bottle of water in the car. Drink it, and eat a high protein snack in the car. That should help so you aren't like a wild animal when you get home. The same thing happens to me. I have a herbal tea with me and eat a Greek yogurt before I get in the car. Otherwise I get HANGRY!
  • MegMalin
    Options
    ha.. lisadobbscarr.. a wild animal yes that's me in the evening.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    all of these suggestions plus never discount owning and using a crockpot. its great getting home from a long day at work and your food is already prepared for you. Planning, planning and more planning will get you through these trigger times. Good luck and be strong
  • lisadobbscarr
    lisadobbscarr Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You can't let it get to the point where you are ready to chew off your own arm, and if you do get to that point suddenly, you want to be prepared. Protein drink or greek yogurt or some almonds and an ounce of cheese and a bottle of water should shut er down to get you to supper.
  • MegMalin
    Options
    Also thinking I need to eat my dinner around 4:30 or 5:00 at work... that's when I'm hungriest, so instead of waiting until I get home or sitting in traffic and end up like a wild animal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    MegMalin wrote: »
    Also thinking I need to eat my dinner around 4:30 or 5:00 at work... that's when I'm hungriest, so instead of waiting until I get home or sitting in traffic and end up like a wild animal.

if you can do that then go for it.
  • MegMalin
    Options
    I'm going to try that and the ideas on here. Thanks all!
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    all of these suggestions plus never discount owning and using a crockpot. its great getting home from a long day at work and your food is already prepared for you. Planning, planning and more planning will get you through these trigger times. Good luck and be strong

^^This^^
    Crock-pots rock!! I have four of them and it's not unusual for me to have two going at the same time. One of the best reasons for owning a freezer.
  • rebelswin85
    rebelswin85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 45-1 hour commute home so I feel you! I keep a bag of almonds (bulk bins) and a bag of apples in my car for just this reason. Find some snacks that work for you to stave off that hunger. Though I would be careful with the nuts, downing a cup of almonds is almost as bad as a burger.

Also, what kinds of activities do you like to do in the car? I listen to a lot of NPR or make phone calls when sitting in traffic (be sure to use a hands-free device, also some states don't allow calls at all now), you could also download podcasts to keep in your car or just keep a good playlist. Keeping your mood positive and distracted (because traffic sucks!) helps avoid eating too, I think, and just listening to music stations doesn't work for me because of all the commercials. Good luck!
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Love the crockpot; recently rediscovered my slow cooker during a kitchen remodel
  • MegMalin
    Options
    Will have to check out some ideas for the crock pot.

I have an hour commute in the AM and PM each. Ha, yes...If I have almonds I will eat the whole thing and pack on the weight. Apples might be a good idea. I need to get some audio books on CD too, I think. Yeah, the commercials are annoying. I need to work on a plan. Traffic sucks completely.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you have activities at home to keep you busy and distract you from eating.Especially things that use your hands, scrapbooking, knitting, making jewelry, sewing..
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Could you leave work an hour later, instead of sitting in traffic, or go to a gym close to your work? does the traffic get quieter at some point?